Finally Narrowed Down To Ranger, L200, Or Hi Lux

Slightly off topic and hope you don't mind me jumping on here Moorside but to the lads who've got these pickup trucks - what sort of MPG are you getting? Around town and on a run?

I've seen the book figures for them but I don't think they are ever close to real life figures.

I thought you had a Hilux? Mine does 30mpg average and 36-38mpg on a run.

Mine is the auto and does a bit less especially if you boot it about ...edited to say as much as you can boot a hilux ..

• Like 1

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a couple of mates that have the Isuzu's they are apparently the best mpg of all the trucks , the latest models are certainly up their with the hilux in build and quality .. The one shore bet wit

You haven't rushed into this have you mate?   Cheers, D.

Funny you should say that about the ranger , my pal bought one new six months ago and recons it's the most uncomftable motor he has ever bought ..gives him back ache if he's driving it for more than a

Funny you should say that about the ranger , my pal bought one new six months ago and recons it's the most uncomftable motor he has ever bought ..gives him back ache if he's driving it for more than an hour .its on the way out for a hilux ..I drove it the other week up to Cambridge and had no problem , that said I wouldn't swap it fo my hilux ..

The seats could be better, I have been spending hours on the motorway lately and my back plays up, it's ok after switching the heated seat on though !

The Ranger i drove felt and sounded like driving a transit. I didn't find it uncomfortable as such, but the gearbox was like stirring a bucket of ball bearings.The salesman told me "they are all like that."

Complete tosh, you had a bad one and the dealer is a twat, you can't even hear my engine running, took me over a month of checking the dash to assure myself it hadn't died ! And I have a transit as well, so can certainly compare those two !

My gearbox is tighter than a tight thing, although I don't like the feel of it (am seriously hoping it loosens up with some miles under the belt) it certainly isn't like a bucket of ball bearings.

Slightly off topic and hope you don't mind me jumping on here Moorside but to the lads who've got these pickup trucks - what sort of MPG are you getting? Around town and on a run?

I've seen the book figures for them but I don't think they are ever close to real life figures.

That's the downside, mine is only getting 27 per gallon at the mo, and that's after a month of steady (ish) motorway driving, trailer and digger on the back tomorrow so I expect to be back at 25 mpg again, pretty much where it's been since I bought it.

My new hiluxs is shit,had lots of probs with it.ill be going back to Isuzu for good next time.

Your the third person I have heard say " it's bloody well going back" !

The two bad points for me on the ranger, it's mpg, and smooth it really isn't, they don't like driving slow, and gear changes are bloody awful if your like me and like to get up through the box a bit quicker than usual to save fuel, they are terrible in very slow moving traffic, jerky ain't the word, they are stop or go motors, get a trailer on the back and I would seriously put mine against any of the other motors out there, (I have towed with landy's, range rovers, hillux, disco's, mitsi's, isuzu's to name a few) virtually every tow motor I have used, I still say the ranger beats them all for towing loads.

If your Mrs is using it around town, I would avoid the ranger, they are either a work horse or a fast road truck, I hate doing towns in mine.

• Like 1

Cheers Rabid, will have to check what the best mpg truck is in my price bracket......cant see my budget getting anything much newer than 2008-maybe 09. My mate rang me the other day saying the l200 trojans arent the worst on fuel and he goes from stoke to wrexham most days in his. For me reliability/toughness is most important because ive just bought a house in the sticks so it needs to start every morning or my ladys gona be struggling.

Complete tosh, you had a bad one and the dealer is a twat, you can't even hear my engine running, took me over a month of checking the dash to assure myself it hadn't died ! And I have a transit as well, so can certainly compare those two !

My gearbox is tighter than a tight thing, although I don't like the feel of it (am seriously hoping it loosens up with some miles under the belt) it certainly isn't like a bucket of ball bearings.

The Ranger I drove was brand new and a pile of crap. My mate uses them at work and he described the gearboxes in a similar vain. So maybe you are one of the lucky ones rather than everyone else talking tosh. I've had transits too so you aren't the only transit expert.

The Ranger I drove was brand new and a pile of crap. My mate uses them at work and he described the gearboxes in a similar vain. So maybe you are one of the lucky ones rather than everyone else talking tosh. I've had transits too so you aren't the only transit expert.

Mine was brand new when I picked it up also, I decided on buying it after test driving three at different dealerships, 1) was just a free test drive wasn't seriously thinking about buying it at that point, 2) I really didn't get on with the salesman so wasn't buying from him, and lastly I tried another dealer who had a sensible salesman that didn't talk crap and after that third test I bought one, all the ones I tested were same as mine, no problems what so ever, we have two on the firm, both less than 2 years old and both fine, so more than just a 'lucky one'.

I am not saying they don't have faults, they certainly do, just not the ones you listed, I think those points are actually good points on all the ones I have driven.

No a transit expert, but I drive both ranger and transits daily so was saying I can compare both

Mine was brand new when I picked it up also, I decided on buying it after test driving three at different dealerships, 1) was just a free test drive wasn't seriously thinking about buying it at that point, 2) I really didn't get on with the salesman so wasn't buying from him, and lastly I tried another dealer who had a sensible salesman that didn't talk crap and after that third test I bought one, all the ones I tested were same as mine, no problems what so ever, we have two on the firm, both less than 2 years old and both fine, so more than just a 'lucky one'.

I am not saying they don't have faults, they certainly do, just not the ones you listed, I think those points are actually good points on all the ones I have driven.

No a transit expert, but I drive both ranger and transits daily so was saying I can compare both

Looks like Wales got a bad batch. :yes:

Cheers Rabid, will have to check what the best mpg truck is in my price bracket......cant see my budget getting anything much newer than 2008-maybe 09. My mate rang me the other day saying the l200 trojans arent the worst on fuel and he goes from stoke to wrexham most days in his. For me reliability/toughness is most important because ive just bought a house in the sticks so it needs to start every morning or my ladys gona be struggling.

A bloke I often work with has a Trojan and also speaks highly of it, but he don't really test it and only potters about with the odd few bags of stuff in the back, don't recall him ever saying its let him down though.

I think the mechanics on the ford are pretty good, but expect the trim to drop off ! They are cheaper motors for a reason and build quality prob not as robust as the hillux, must say I am impressed how tough my ranger is and I do tend to be hard on motors, wouldn't like to see how it fares in ten years time though, prob bumpers and plastics all taped up like the older mondeos !

• Like 1

Looks like Wales got a bad batch. :yes:

In fairness, I think fords quality control ain't great, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear a few bad uns coming out the factory

• Like 1

My new hiluxs is shit,had lots of probs with it.ill be going back to Isuzu for good next time.

From a couple of mates that have the Isuzu's they are apparently the best mpg of all the trucks , the latest models are certainly up their with the hilux in build and quality ..

The one shore bet with the Toyota is the second hand value ..non of them hold there money like the hilux ..

• Like 3

No mate I've got a Vectra estate. Really fancy one of these pickups and need one really but I'm a bit of an MPG lover. My Vectra does 40mpg driven hard around town and close to 60mpg on a run driven steady.
If you worried about MPG convert one to LPG I have a forester and I get around 200 mile for £20. Definitely worth doing especially on big 4x4
That's never crossed my mind to be honest mate. Certainly worth thinking about.

What sort of money is the conversion?

Not sure to tbh but definitely worth doing. Iv heard its around £800 to £1000 but the gas is less to buy and tax is also lowered. If buying a newish motor definitely worth looking at

Iv had mine a year now and it's never missed a beat and been through most terrains only having to be pulled out once when every wheel was off the floor.

Thanks for that fella. Will look into it for sure.

LPG conversions are for petrol engines. I don't know of any pickups in the UK market that have petrol engines. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how any body spins it, 30mpg is about ya lot with them.

• Like 1

No mate I've got a Vectra estate. Really fancy one of these pickups and need one really but I'm a bit of an MPG lover. My Vectra does 40mpg driven hard around town and close to 60mpg on a run driven steady.
If you worried about MPG convert one to LPG I have a forester and I get around 200 mile for £20. Definitely worth doing especially on big 4x4
That's never crossed my mind to be honest mate. Certainly worth thinking about.

What sort of money is the conversion?

Not sure to tbh but definitely worth doing. Iv heard its around £800 to £1000 but the gas is less to buy and tax is also lowered. If buying a newish motor definitely worth looking at

Iv had mine a year now and it's never missed a beat and been through most terrains only having to be pulled out once when every wheel was off the floor.

Thanks for that fella. Will look into it for sure.

LPG conversions are for petrol engines. I don't know of any pickups in the UK market that have petrol engines. Unfortunately it doesn't matter how any body spins it, 30mpg is about ya lot with them.

I discovered this last night when doing a bit of research. There are a few subarus and jeep type vehicles that are petrol but like you say there aren't any petrol pickups over here.

I get 30mpg average with my navara and it's done all I've asked of it? I used to have a manual one and it did get a bit slippery on the back end when off road, but I think all rear wheel drive pick ups do if you don't put them in 4wd lol got the same version with an auto box now and I like it TBH? Surprised the navs not been mentioned?

• Like 1

Got a new ranger last year bang on comfortable & drives well on & off Rd had l200 & hi luxe before old hi-ux was bang on not sure about latest ones these rangers are sound imho atb Flacko

• Like 1