Finally Narrowed Down To Ranger, L200, Or Hi Lux

Ive wasted countless hours over the past months scouring the web reading reviews of every possible option for a motor for my pack of mutts, and for my mrs to and from work etc(75 mile per week) . Ive come to the conclusion that short of having 2 motors which I am not prepared to do......its going to have to be a pick up, my question is which one ive got up to £6.500 to spend which rules out the hi lux I think (which is what most of my mates run).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From a couple of mates that have the Isuzu's they are apparently the best mpg of all the trucks , the latest models are certainly up their with the hilux in build and quality .. The one shore bet wit

You haven't rushed into this have you mate?   Cheers, D.

Funny you should say that about the ranger , my pal bought one new six months ago and recons it's the most uncomftable motor he has ever bought ..gives him back ache if he's driving it for more than a

Out of your 3 choices above:

I test drove a new ranger and it was one of the worst trucks I've ever driven. I don't know if the older ones are any better.

I've got a Hilux myself and love it. It does everything I need it to, fairly economical, comfortable and (so far) reliable.

Never driven an L200, but judging by how many people have them round here, they must be pretty good. :thumbs:

Funny you should say that about the ranger , my pal bought one new six months ago and recons it's the most uncomftable motor he has ever bought ..gives him back ache if he's driving it for more than an hour .its on the way out for a hilux ..I drove it the other week up to Cambridge and had no problem , that said I wouldn't swap it fo my hilux ..

• Like 1

The Ranger i drove felt and sounded like driving a transit. I didn't find it uncomfortable as such, but the gearbox was like stirring a bucket of ball bearings.The salesman told me "they are all like that."

Ive not as yet driven a Ranger, I read theyre not bad on parts etc. Ive driven quite a few 4x4 l200, hilux , defender,discovery, and landcruiser. But never owned one just thought id ask for opinions on which is the better option.

Slightly off topic and hope you don't mind me jumping on here Moorside but to the lads who've got these pickup trucks - what sort of MPG are you getting? Around town and on a run?

I've seen the book figures for them but I don't think they are ever close to real life figures.

Slightly off topic and hope you don't mind me jumping on here Moorside but to the lads who've got these pickup trucks - what sort of MPG are you getting? Around town and on a run?

I've seen the book figures for them but I don't think they are ever close to real life figures.

I thought you had a Hilux? Mine does 30mpg average and 36-38mpg on a run.

No mate I've got a Vectra estate. Really fancy one of these pickups and need one really but I'm a bit of an MPG lover. My Vectra does 40mpg driven hard around town and close to 60mpg on a run driven steady.

No mate I've got a Vectra estate. Really fancy one of these pickups and need one really but I'm a bit of an MPG lover. My Vectra does 40mpg driven hard around town and close to 60mpg on a run driven steady.

If you worried about MPG convert one to LPG I have a forester and I get around 200 mile for £20. Definitely worth doing especially on big 4x4

If you worried about MPG convert one to LPG I have a forester and I get around 200 mile for £20. Definitely worth doing especially on big 4x4

That's never crossed my mind to be honest mate. Certainly worth thinking about.

What sort of money is the conversion?

Not sure to tbh but definitely worth doing. Iv heard its around £800 to £1000 but the gas is less to buy and tax is also lowered. If buying a newish motor definitely worth looking at

Iv had mine a year now and it's never missed a beat and been through most terrains only having to be pulled out once when every wheel was off the floor.

Not sure to tbh but definitely worth doing. Iv heard its around £800 to £1000 but the gas is less to buy and tax is also lowered. If buying a newish motor definitely worth looking at

Iv had mine a year now and it's never missed a beat and been through most terrains only having to be pulled out once when every wheel was off the floor.

Thanks for that fella. Will look into it for sure.