88 replies to this topic

#1 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:29 am

Quite often after a nights shooting rather than go straight home I will take a detour round the rural land many miles away from my permissions. I will be honest I do sometimes flick the lamp on as I like to have a little look and see what's about but would never shoot for obvious reasons. my rifles are always in boxes in the back of the jeep with magazines or bolts removed and never brought out. Was just wondering the legality of this.?

#2 Alimac2

Alimac2

Mega Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:24 pm

Asking for trouble I'm afraid..
  • charlie caller likes this

#3 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:30 pm

Thought as much just wasn't sure if I was breaking any laws but I know it does look suspicious. Sounds daft but I just like seeing what's about

#4 Greyman

Greyman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:13 pm

Think that could be considered as going equipped? Not sure but would think you would have a fair bit of explaining to do at the least,

#5 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:33 pm

Yeah it got me thinking the other night. Straight home after shooting for me from now on

#6 SportingShooter

SportingShooter

The Miscellaneous Mod

• 5,895 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:34 pm

Hard to think of any actual laws you've broken, none that I can think of.

It just looks suspicious as you say and of course people can get the wrong end of the stick and suspect you of poaching, that could lead to problems even with a suspicion of it :thumbs:

#7 The one

The one

Honorary Life President of the THL New Member Welcoming Committe

• Donator
  • 39,080 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:59 pm

I was always told to park my car at one spot and if the gamines or balifs saw a light on the estate and my car wasn't there they rolled out all the staff they could muster and phoned the police , don't think shinning a light ileagal but with guns in the car I wouldn't want to risk it

#8 j j m

j j m

No2 on the Thl welcoming committee.

• Donator
  • 19,431 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:29 pm

Best not to do it mate

#9 Deker

Deker

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 7,501 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:38 pm

Hard to think of any actual laws you've broken, none that I can think of.

It just looks suspicious as you say and of course people can get the wrong end of the stick and suspect you of poaching, that could lead to problems even with a suspicion of it :thumbs:

:yes:  :yes:  :yes:  :thumbs:

#10 Underdog

Underdog

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:48 pm

There are no laws regarding shining a light around. Whether you have authorised firearms in your possession or not.
No crime to answer for.
Crack on and be nosey I say.
I have little time for paranoia and fear.

U👍

#11 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:53 pm

See what made me think was . Last night I was out testing my new photon out the motor on rural roads where I have a nosey know the way home. ( the scope is not on a rifle) only had scope with me no rifles etc. And a motor passed dead slow to see what I was upto and I thought situation like that although your not upto anything it's difficult to explain if somebody does phone rozzers

#12 foxtrotoscar

foxtrotoscar

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:35 pm

There are no laws regarding shining a light around. Whether you have authorised firearms in your possession or not.
No crime to answer for.

U

I think you're very optimistic about this.  I recall reading in some guidance (can't recall where) that the weapons should only be in the vehicle for carriage to the permission/range etc.  Not driving around the county on a jolly with them stowed in the boot.  I think at the very least if the police stopped him, he'd be reported to his FLO and a black mark/question mark against his name when renewal time comes around.

• Yokel Matt and charlie caller like this

#13 Rusty_terrier

Rusty_terrier

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:41 pm

No crime to answer for.

U

I think you're very optimistic about this.  I recall reading in some guidance (can't recall where) that the weapons should only be in the vehicle for carriage to the permission/range etc.  Not driving around the county on a jolly with them stowed in the boot.  I think at the very least if the police stopped him, he'd be reported to his FLO and a black mark/question mark against his name when renewal time comes around.

That's my thoughts although no laws broken could cause more hassle than its worth.

#14 Underdog

Underdog

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:53 pm

If you don't want Hassel in your lives sell your guns now.

At the drop of a hat or some other whim you/we can easily be a victim of prejudice.

While many live in fear of authority I don't.
I kicked police out of my home twice for thinking they could push me around! My nose is still white!
  • Rusty_terrier likes this

#15 foxtrotoscar

foxtrotoscar

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:09 pm

If you don't want Hassel in your lives sell your guns now.

At the drop of a hat or some other whim you/we can easily be a victim of prejudice.

While many live in fear of authority I don't.
I kicked police out of my home twice for thinking they could push me around! My nose is still white!

It's got absolutely nothing to do with hassle or throwing the Police out of your home for that matter.  (Personally I wouldn't let them in uninvited without a warrant) It's down to having a reasonable excuse for having firearms in your car when as the O.P stated by his own admission, "many miles away from his permissions" late at night! Not good reading for the Chief Constable the following morning, regardless how it's explained away.  Sometimes in real life it's easier to play the game and avoid unwanted hassles, esp where firearms are concerned, it's not a sign of weakness or cowardice.

• VOON, charlie caller and Rusty_terrier like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users