I'd like a bit if advice from the guys who have kept pigs about any tips on making my pig enclosure escape proof?

How far down should I sink the mesh, how high above ground, best posts to use eyc etc please

Cheers

We had 4ft stock fencing with 2 strands of electric wire inside it low to the ground which worked well. They soon learn not to go near it! Although somehow know when the battery on it is flat as well, so make sure it's always charged up.

• Like 1

I have 6x 15 week old weaners in an electric fence enclosure. They legged it through when they first arrived but no other escape attempts. I am using an 8'x10' ark and have a sun shade/wind block wall made from pallets with plywood nailed on.

They have a mud bath made from the base of an IBC and sunk in to the ground and I also have 3 large diameter but only 7" deep trugs as their water supply.

They also lie in these.

The picture below is from when they had been here a week. They have modified it a bit now.

I go round with my strimmer to keep the grass short around the fence.

The grass on the other side is now over 12" tall.

The pigs take up a quarter of an acre filed. When they have trashed this, I will extend.

Pigs%20are%20here%20010_zpsxdl161bh.jpg

• Like 2

I keep the feed in those small blue containers with a snap tight top.

Like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Ltrs-PLASTIC-BARREL-Metal-Ring-Lid-/252445847754?hash=item3ac6f1f0ca:g:u1YAAOSwkEVXGBh6

I got mine locally so no post cost and they were £6 each and so far have been intruder proof

I am currently feeding wheat pellets at £9 a 20kg sack and greens from my veg patch. Last year it cost £200 per pig but i think I over fed them a little. They were 14 and 18 stone (appx) each. At slaughter.

This is what it looks like now.

I think pigs are actually easier to keep than hens, it is just the start up costs - energiser, wire, posts, hut, etc.

My pigs were £20 each, so shop around.

Pigs%20July%20004_zpsmjga3y4m.jpg

Pigs%20July%20001_zpsxqnbk2j1.jpg

• Like 1

Another thing. I got my energiser from Mole Valley. It is a dual mode type. So you can run it from mains or leisure battery.

If you are running an extension outside from a shed, etc. You need armoured mains cable, this is usually UV protected and water proof.

The link wire from the energiser to the fence can be single core coax type but don't kink it as it can snap within the insulation.

If you are using a battery, you may have to consider some kind of security. I'm using a galv dustbin nailed on to a pallet. I pinned the pallet down and also put big rocks in the base of the bin. The lid is secured with padlocks.

Some people just bury them and run the leads up through sheathing.

We had some burglaries last year and farmers were losing energisers.

Pesky

I heard of someone buried there energiser and battery in a wooden box covered up with earth then run the cable through blue water piping buried for 20 yards then joined to the fence 20 yards away. Sad but he had some stolen.

• 1 month later...

Electric fence them only way Iv 4 durocs clearing our wood out now they made a right mess which is what I wasn't up rooted everything and are getting fat I'm looking forward to eating them I'd post some pics but don't know how to

Electric fence them only way Iv 4 durocs clearing our wood out now they made a right mess which is what I wasn't up rooted everything and are getting fat I'm looking forward to eating them I'd post some pics but don't know how to

stock netting with posts every 6ft, with a top rail. extra bottom plain wire tight to the ground. This has kept out saddlebacks in for the last 7 years. had to swap wooden gates for metal as they ate them. Never had any issue, and neither has anybody I have done similar fencing for on pigs.