Sign in to follow this  
air gun ant

Chainsaw Experts, Help Please

Thanks tc, once everything was set up, the planking probably only took an hour, including refuelling and admiring the wood lol I'm really enjoying this milling lark ;) the hardest bit is lifting up in to the hay loft of the barn for seasoning! I didn't realise quite how heavy a 2" slab was! I did some at 1.5" but they wernt much lighter lol

How long did it take to plank that trunk? It's really impressive.

TC

the ripping chain made a massive difference to the cutting time and the finish, the last ones were really rough and will take a good while to get a smooth finish, but these ones will just need a Quik lick with the belt sander and they will be done.
  • Like 1

I went to buy some Chestnut from a saw mill a few years ago and he had the wood outside with just a tarp over the top of it. I asked him as it was pi$$ing down would it not season quicker in one of the barns he had there? He told me no it will season better the more air you can get through it, I asked about the rain on the edges of the boards and he told me that it is just sap wood and would be coming off anyway.

http://awhardwoodsltd.co.uk/

5086404.jpg

TC

Edited by Tiercel

Yeah that makes sense TBH. At this rate it won't take me long to fill the barn anyway lol so I'll have to start stacking outside soon, I just thought it would be a more consistent temperature and out of any direct sunlight etc I'm going to do some 3"-4" slabs soon to make into turning blanks and they most likely take an age to season! I think the general rule of thumb is a year per inch of thickness, but the ones I've been doing have been dead for a lot of years so I'm not to sure how long to leave them? I think I'll invest in one of those moisture meter jobbies, I'm sure I saw some in aldi a while ago for checking firewood?

Spent an age planing and sanding yesterday and then tested the moisture content, 59%! That's gonna take a while lol oh well, at least I know now and can test now.

• Like 1

Spent an age planing and sanding yesterday and then tested the moisture content, 59%! That's gonna take a while lol oh well, at least I know now and can test now.

post-46517-0-97300400-1470779449.jpeg

• Like 1

If it's oak you are better off leaving it milled at 2 inch rather than 1.5,

Oak can warp like f**k as it dries, the extra half inch should give you sone leeway when you come to plane it.

I

Got a couple lumps of ash to play with tomorrow, not the biggest but the saw hast been used in ages and I need a bench for outside lol 😂 pics to follow so long as it's not pissing down tomorrow ;)

• Like 1

A dry day in Lanark. Good luck with the bench. Jok.

Oh and by the way, try to get your hands on some 'bog oak'. Black is preferred but brown is still valuable. Just a heads up. Jok.