Chainsaw Experts, Help Please

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bench isn't finished, still needs sanding and oiling and rough Edges trimming up etc but to be fair there's only so much you can do with a chainsaw lol

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-mill/?ALLSTEPS  

Finally got chance for a little play yesterday so here's the results Bit rough but not bad for a first attempt. Just using the normal chain to because I've not bought a ripping chain yet lol

Posted Images

We just know where this is ending. Lol. Monkeys, Eagles, you get my drift. Seems Ant got more time on his hands than me ffs. Jok.

ha ha not an artistic bone in my body jok! Lol and time wise it was about 2 hours to get to that stage, the hard bits gonna be the sanding and tidying up the wood etc

Next on my agenda. Criminal cutting good timber up for firewood

Don't be a goat, you got it the wrong way round, ant has made firewood into good timber! ;)

When your a tree surgeon you have unlimited access to wood and splitting gets boring when you start hitting knotty bits ?

Right you guys. I'm after some really old hardwood blanks. Not British but typically African, South American, Asian etc. I guess there are collections obtained over the years by wood turners and the like which have, like lots of other collect abeles, gone into hibernation. When you go into the market at the moment it's the same old story, been drying for years, came out of a church, etc, etc. I'm only asking on here as there may be a member who knows a friend who knows a relative who knows a source. I've a particular project in mind so any help is good. Jok.

You might be surprised Ant. I've, in the last 2 weeks, dropped 2 trees and formed the last couple of feet into usable surfaces. The 14 inch bar is great for doing a bit of shaping. All I'd recommend is being suited properly because you use the tip of the blade a hell of a lot. Good fun though. Jok.

Right you guys. I'm after some really old hardwood blanks. Not British but typically African, South American, Asian etc. I guess there are collections obtained over the years by wood turners and the like which have, like lots of other collect abeles, gone into hibernation. When you go into the market at the moment it's the same old story, been drying for years, came out of a church, etc, etc. I'm only asking on here as there may be a member who knows a friend who knows a relative who knows a source. I've a particular project in mind so any help is good. Jok.

how much do you need jok? Not got a lathe at the moment but I do have a few good lumps of wood that were given to me by an old guy who's father did a bit of woodturning before he died. I have one particular peace that would probably chip my chisels! Almost petrified it's that hard! And it's bloody heavy, havnt a clue wtf it is tho! Lol

how much do you need jok? Not got a lathe at the moment but I do have a few good lumps of wood that were given to me by an old guy who's father did a bit of woodturning before he died. I have one particular peace that would probably chip my chisels! Almost petrified it's that hard! And it's bloody heavy, havnt a clue wtf it is tho! Lol
  • Like 1

One of my mates sold a big trunk of sycamore to a lad,he told me the lad stands it up on end to let everything drain out of it,don't no for how long or if it's just sycamore it's done to but worth looking into

yeah heard that after milling, sycamore should be seasoned on end otherwise it goes mouldy apparently? I havnt milled any yet so can't really comment other than what I've read on arbtalk forum lol