Chainsaw Experts, Help Please

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bench isn't finished, still needs sanding and oiling and rough Edges trimming up etc but to be fair there's only so much you can do with a chainsaw lol

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-mill/?ALLSTEPS  

Finally got chance for a little play yesterday so here's the results Bit rough but not bad for a first attempt. Just using the normal chain to because I've not bought a ripping chain yet lol

Posted Images

Thanks tc, once everything was set up, the planking probably only took an hour, including refuelling and admiring the wood lol I'm really enjoying this milling lark ;) the hardest bit is lifting up in to the hay loft of the barn for seasoning! I didn't realise quite how heavy a 2" slab was! I did some at 1.5" but they wernt much lighter lol

How long did it take to plank that trunk? It's really impressive.

TC

the ripping chain made a massive difference to the cutting time and the finish, the last ones were really rough and will take a good while to get a smooth finish, but these ones will just need a Quik lick with the belt sander and they will be done.
  • Like 1

I went to buy some Chestnut from a saw mill a few years ago and he had the wood outside with just a tarp over the top of it. I asked him as it was pi$$ing down would it not season quicker in one of the barns he had there? He told me no it will season better the more air you can get through it, I asked about the rain on the edges of the boards and he told me that it is just sap wood and would be coming off anyway.

http://awhardwoodsltd.co.uk/

5086404.jpg

TC

Edited by Tiercel

Yeah that makes sense TBH. At this rate it won't take me long to fill the barn anyway lol so I'll have to start stacking outside soon, I just thought it would be a more consistent temperature and out of any direct sunlight etc I'm going to do some 3"-4" slabs soon to make into turning blanks and they most likely take an age to season! I think the general rule of thumb is a year per inch of thickness, but the ones I've been doing have been dead for a lot of years so I'm not to sure how long to leave them? I think I'll invest in one of those moisture meter jobbies, I'm sure I saw some in aldi a while ago for checking firewood?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...