Chainsaw Experts, Help Please

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bench isn't finished, still needs sanding and oiling and rough Edges trimming up etc but to be fair there's only so much you can do with a chainsaw lol

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-mill/?ALLSTEPS  

Finally got chance for a little play yesterday so here's the results Bit rough but not bad for a first attempt. Just using the normal chain to because I've not bought a ripping chain yet lol

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover?

cheers lads

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

yeah ive had a look and joined, there some very knowlegable people on there and some lovely examples of some british hardwoods! some of the elm slabs that are on there had me drooling! lol

speak to spud on arbtalk he will get that saw to fly I have a 066 and 560xp tuned by him totally different from standard

• Like 1

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover?

cheers lads

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

yeah ive had a look and joined, there some very knowlegable people on there and some lovely examples of some british hardwoods! some of the elm slabs that are on there had me drooling! lol

speak to spud on arbtalk he will get that saw to fly I have a 066 and 560xp tuned by him totally different from standard

and prob got chain you want

• Like 1

Finally got chance for a little play yesterday so here's the results ;)

Bit rough but not bad for a first attempt. Just using the normal chain to because I've not bought a ripping chain yet lol

Been waiting for this post for a couple of days. Cracking job. :thumbs: Is that Walnut?

TC

No mate it's an old oak that's been dead for years, my dad wanted to chop it up for firewood! Needless to say he was impressed with the results lol most of it was rotten apart from the first 10ft so I got a 7 1/2ft log to play with and logged the rest up for him. There's a few tweaks to make to the mill now I've used it, but I think I'm going to make a new one anyway but this time it's going to be a carriage on a rail system I think ;) there's a couple more dead trees up there to have a play with and I have a massive tree at a friends farm to mill up, I'm not sure what it is yet but it's been down about 7yrs and is over 3ft in diameter so that should be fun lol

• Like 2

I'm no expert but I have read that if you value your limbs then cross cutting with a ripping chain is a big no no. Not really a problem for me as that saw is to big to do anything but milling really lol I have a smaller saw for everything else, that's much lighter and easier to handle.