Chainsaw Experts, Help Please

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover?

cheers lads

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bench isn't finished, still needs sanding and oiling and rough Edges trimming up etc but to be fair there's only so much you can do with a chainsaw lol

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-mill/?ALLSTEPS  

Finally got chance for a little play yesterday so here's the results Bit rough but not bad for a first attempt. Just using the normal chain to because I've not bought a ripping chain yet lol

Posted Images

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructables.com/id/Chainsaw-mill/?ALLSTEPS

FL7VJ2UGHTLRBE9.MEDIUM.jpg

fair play gruff did you make that yourself, ? I have been looking at getting one myself, but did,nt want to shell out the two or three hundred quid they sell for, it's known as an Alaskan saw mill I believe
thats the plan griff mate, made one for my small chainsaw but it knackered up before I had chance to use it! (The chainsaw not the mill) lol and I've booked Friday off to build a big one for this when I get it and can get some measurements. Gonna start with an Alaskan style mill and then build one on tracks with an ajustable head, then when I get some more money to gather I'm gonna build a portable bandsaw mill ;) I'll post a few pics as I get going with it, and hopefully a few of the stuff I've made with the wood ;)
  • Like 3

FL7VJ2UGHTLRBE9.MEDIUM.jpg

fair play gruff did you make that yourself, ? I have been looking at getting one myself, but did,nt want to shell out the two or three hundred quid they sell for, it's known as an Alaskan saw mill I believe

Not this one, just saw it on indestructibles, all the instructions there on the link, easy enough to put together.

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover?

cheers lads

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.

• Like 1

cheers lads

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

cheers lads

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

yeah ive had a look and joined, there some very knowlegable people on there and some lovely examples of some british hardwoods! some of the elm slabs that are on there had me drooling! lol

• Like 1