• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:51 am

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover? 

cheers lads 

#2 wilbur foxhound

wilbur foxhound

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:12 pm

dont think you will have to change anything unless its worn
  • David.evans and mad4it like this

#3 mad4it

mad4it

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:13 pm

you dont have to change anything unless worn

#4 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:49 pm

I hope it's not worn, it's brand new! Lol so I just get a new bar and chain in 3/8 pitch and it will run fine on .404 sprocket? Nice one ;)
Cheers

#5 GruffaloGriff

GruffaloGriff

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:15 pm

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructa...-mill/?ALLSTEPS

FL7VJ2UGHTLRBE9.MEDIUM.jpg

• Tiercel, air gun ant, squab and 3 others like this

#6 Greyman

Greyman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:26 pm

Make up a simple mill like this for accurate rips. http://www.instructa...-mill/?ALLSTEPS

http://cdn.instructables.com/FL7/VJ2U/GH...

fair play gruff did you make that yourself, ? I have been looking at getting one myself, but did,nt want to shell out the two or three hundred quid they sell for, it's known as an Alaskan saw mill I believe
  • bullcross13 and GruffaloGriff like this

#7 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:49 pm

fair play gruff did you make that yourself, ? I have been looking at getting one myself, but did,nt want to shell out the two or three hundred quid they sell for, it's known as an Alaskan saw mill I believe
thats the plan griff mate, made one for my small chainsaw but it knackered up before I had chance to use it! (The chainsaw not the mill) lol and I've booked Friday off to build a big one for this when I get it and can get some measurements. Gonna start with an Alaskan style mill and then build one on tracks with an ajustable head, then when I get some more money to gather I'm gonna build a portable bandsaw mill ;) I'll post a few pics as I get going with it, and hopefully a few of the stuff I've made with the wood ;)
  • Tiercel, GruffaloGriff and jok like this

#8 GruffaloGriff

GruffaloGriff

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 871 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:24 pm

Not this one, just saw it on indestructibles, all the instructions there on the link, easy enough to put together.

#9 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:14 pm

Well this saw scares me! Lol it didn't look that big in the book!

Attached Files

• dark-destroyer-85, GruffaloGriff and jok like this

#10 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:15 pm

Now I'm on with the mill

Attached Files

#11 ADAM C

ADAM C

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:02 pm

Griff is better than mcgyver and the A-team put together....... :thumbs:

#12 Greyman

Greyman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:39 am

Well this saw scares me! Lol it didn't look that big in the book!

feck me, how bigs your fire,

#13 greenman

greenman

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:21 am

got a stihl ms880 coming tomorrow hopefully with the 48" bar and chain which is .404 and i and the dealer are struggling to find ripping chains for it as both stihl and oregen only sell that chain in full rolls for about £300 or something. so im hopefully going to sell the bar and chain on ebay and get a new bar and chain in 3\8. can somebody point me towards what i need to change on the saw? drive sprocket? clutch cover? 
cheers lads 

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.
  • air gun ant likes this

#14 Tiercel

Tiercel

Extreme Hunter

• 7,450 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:37 pm

cheers lads 

Your dealer should be able to help, should just be a change of sprocket to a 3/8 x 8 tooth. This is a similar size to the .404 x 7 and will keep the gearing about the same. I'm surprised you can't find anyone selling made up ripping chains online, there is a forum called atbtalk, be worth asking on there, its an open forum so easy to join.

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

#15 air gun ant

air gun ant

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:13 am

cheers lads 

Had a look at the Arbtalk forum brilliant forum if you like wood. :thumbs:

TC

yeah ive had a look and joined, there some very knowlegable people on there and some lovely examples of some british hardwoods! some of the elm slabs that are on there had me drooling! lol 

• Tiercel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users