Boxing Weigh In

i was watching the boxing last night and they put up the statistics of each boxer just before the fight, (as they do)......the boxer weighed in at 160lb but he fought at 175lb on the night, that's over a stone gained........what's the point of a weigh in.......? and why isn't he boxing in the proper division for his natural weight?

i reckon they should be made to weigh in on the day....and fight at that weight

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its pretty much all been covered already.....but the weight a fighter gains between weighing in and fighting is the weight he will be working off during the fight....all fighters lose weight during a

Im not talking about later in the day or a few hours after the weigh in.....im talking about f****n off these 30 minute ring entrances and getting the weigh in done with the introductions......as in h

Mayfield was a great conditioner in his day but would be left behind in todays times back then the idea was drying a dog out would create more haemoglobin in the blood which using dex or azium would c

i was watching the boxing last night and they put up the statistics of each boxer just before the fight, (as they do)......the boxer weighed in at 160lb but he fought at 175lb on the night, that's over a stone gained........what's the point of a weigh in.......? and why isn't he boxing in the proper division for his natural weight?

i reckon they should be made to weigh in on the day....and fight at that weight

good point, gnash will tell us with bit luck :thumbs:

it seems your all saying they have to dehydrate to make the weight.......but what if they don't do that and come in at there natural weight, in there proper weight division........this boxer came in at 15lbs heavier than the weight category on the night, it doesn't seem right somehow....

• Like 1

The weigh ins were moved to the day before the fight so that the fighters could have more time to rehydrate before the fight,so what was seen as a way to help the fighters health soon became manipulated and fighters then began to use the early day weigh in to there advantage.Canelo is very good at using the day before weigh in to get one over on his opponents.Fighters are more closely monitored theses days so the weigh ins should be held on the same day as the fight again so that all the fighters are playing on a level field..

Edited by MickC

Ufc have banned the use of IV to rehydrate as a way to stop fighters from tryin to get dangerously light through dehydration

Yes and the self proclaimed "TBE" has been a very naughty boy. He went on and on about Pacman being a cheat and wanting to clean up the sport when he's been at it all along. I guess all that money has it's advantages when you can pay people off....

right....so it all stems down to dehydration, what's the point of having a weight category, if it only matters when your weighed in, but you can box a stone heavier......crazy

it would be like, a f1 car driver, being only aloud to have 10 gallons of fuel, when checked....but come race day, having 13 gallons to his advantage.

The brain sits in a bag of fluid to protect it...the more dehydrated the more chance of brain injury...leave things as they are...both fighters are at liberty to put weight on...its not like they will put any muscle on within24hrs...cant really see how carrying an extra stone in weight would really be much help to a light welter over a 12round match

• Like 1

The brain sits in a bag of fluid to protect it...the more dehydrated the more chance of brain injury...leave things as they are...both fighters are at liberty to put weight on...its not like they will put any muscle on within24hrs...cant really see how carrying an extra stone in weight would really be much help to a light welter over a 12round match

well say if a fighter was 13st, and say fought at light heavy 12 st 7lb, he could poss fight on the night go up 13 st 7lb near cruiser weight , surely he be stronger at the extra weight, with more punching power :hmm:

well say if a fighter was 13st, and say fought at light heavy 12 st 7lb, he could poss fight on the night go up 13 st 7lb near cruiser weight , surely he be stronger at the extra weight, with more punching power :hmm:

when you listen to the commentators at ring side.......you often hear them say..........."he's got the weight advantage".........so it must be more weight behind the punch.

A stones a lot of weight for an athlete to put on in 24hrs...its not like its an extra stone in muscle...would be an advantage in clinches the extra weight baring down...but that sort of weight gained that quicky is going to effect a fighters stamina

yeah,said fighter was probably never really a light heavyweight to begin with,he'd be a cruiser that dehydrated himself to make a weight limit,then re-hydrated.

So it is an extra stone in muscle and bone as well,it's not all water.

Same day weigh-ins much better imo,a lot will be dehydrated anyway but some people do some daft things when they know they have 24 hours to re-hydrate,there's no need to make water retention etc a factor in a fight imo.

Weight gained so suddenly is unlikely to be muscle and therefore is water and fat. That's not gonna give more punching power I don't think.

I've come down 3 stone the last 6 months and my punching power hasn't suffered at all. If anything I've gained muscle and I'm hitting harder and I've definitely gained speed which affects force.

i think it's all pointless to dehydrate yourself just to make the weight.....only to put it all back on to fight.....what's wrong with..if you weigh 12 stone naturally....weigh in at 12 stone, and box at 12 stone....it's not rocket science is it....