Using Cubs For Training

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets be honest, there was no reason for him to have the cubs at all. He did do what they said he did because nobody can prove otherwise and they did come out pretty mangled. I doubt they were killed

Whatever....all I know, is that a hunting man is responsible for his actions and his own conscience

Never used a dropper, never would and certainly wouldn't "handicap" a quarry. As for helping out on large game that's a different point altogether. When hunting big stuff was legal it was way more hum

Id not condone such practice,yet id not pick up the first or thirtieth stone to chuck,we all have our own unique ways of training and introducing a mutt to the field and if honesty ever raised its head many of us have some unsavoury hunting habits and training methods.Im more upset that another hunting kennel as had its trust ruined by another sneaky fecking infiltrator,how many kennels now will be looking at their staff and acquaintances with suspicion.If you cannot trust the person working alongside you thats far more abhorrent than the unsavoury demise of a cub,even cubs should be hunted and dealt with,with the respect any hunted animal deserves.When training a sapling respect often takes a back seat perhaps.

Id not condone such practice,yet id not pick up the first or thirtieth stone to chuck,we all have our own unique ways of training and introducing a mutt to the field and if honesty ever raised its head many of us have some unsavoury hunting habits and training methods.Im more upset that another hunting kennel as had its trust ruined by another sneaky fecking infiltrator,how many kennels now will be looking at their staff and acquaintances with suspicion.If you cannot trust the person working alongside you thats far more abhorrent than the unsavoury demise of a cub,even cubs should be hunted and dealt with,with the respect any hunted animal deserves.When training a sapling respect often takes a back seat perhaps.

Morton ,,,,I couldn't have put it better ,,,bang on mate ,,,,,nothing worse than a grass ,,,,,,,,,,,a hunt secretary told me they traced most of the infiltration on his hunt to young girls who rode with the hunt , being tapped up in livery yards they shared with anti hunting folks about meets etc ,,,I have had running dogs or greyhounds 30 odd years and trust me ,,,I have seen many a greyhound have a " livener ".

Anyone see the news yesterday at the hunt kennel?

Disgraceful behaviour, gives everyone a bad name.

Honestly couldn't think of many things more cruel

Your an anti. Why dont the rest of you lads stop responding to twats like this????

• Like 1

I've been away for a bit and missed this one BUT i'd need hard fact before i'd be shouting from the rafters, film can be doctored any way you want it these days.. My question would be why the feck would any hunt be so bloody stupid and i very much doubt any would...

Oh yer, whilst we are on the subject of live bait, droppers etc.... I've never done it, ever.

If you need to use those sort of tactics to bring a dog on or gee it up in any way, then take a long hard look at yourself and the bin licking feckers you keep.

Your hunting dog, be it hound, terrier, sighthound or lurcher, will have hundreds of years of selective breeding behind it and all you need to do is bring it on right to get the best out of it. Its a long haul but if your using droppers your cheating and more importantly doing hunting no favours, pure and fecking simple, get a grip of yourself..!

Anyone see the news yesterday at the hunt kennel?

Disgraceful behaviour, gives everyone a bad name.

Honestly couldn't think of many things more cruel

Your an anti. Why dont the rest of you lads stop responding to twats like this????

Possibly because its posted on a forum that encourages healthy debate and banter,its called the right of any individual in a democratic society to air their opinion and others to challenge or agree with it.It would be fecking boring on here if everybody got on and owned a Whippet.

• Like 3

I've been away for a bit and missed this one BUT i'd need hard fact before i'd be shouting from the rafters, film can be doctored any way you want it these days.. My question would be why the feck would any hunt be so bloody stupid and i very much doubt any would...

Oh yer, whilst we are on the subject of live bait, droppers etc.... I've never done it, ever.

If you need to use those sort of tactics to bring a dog on or gee it up in any way, then take a long hard look at yourself and the bin licking feckers you keep.

Your hunting dog, be it hound, terrier, sighthound or lurcher, will have hundreds of years of selective breeding behind it and all you need to do is bring it on right to get the best out of it. Its a long haul but if your using droppers your cheating and more importantly doing hunting no favours, pure and fecking simple, get a grip of yourself..!

Ive encouraged more than my fair share of mutts by throwing the odd cheat into their development and education,the odd sapling that was late in its development as been brought on by some less than ethical antics in many a kennel.Hunting is cruel,fact,hunting with a moral conscience is no less cruel than a more mercenary one,again fact.Again id not condone any practice that entails the use of unwarranted and unnecessary cruelty,that was not needed,yet at times we need to hunt away from our conscience and the vast majority of us hunt with a clear conscience and deplore unnecessary cruelty,all the time,yet still sink to levels we abhor on rare occasions.

Is using a dropper any worse than entering a coursing pup on a September stubble hare , or a bull x , doubled up on a fox ,the key to any lurcher is not over matching it as a pup ,,,,,as for geeing up ,,I once had a greyhound that never hit the lids , but finished fast , we took him out on the lamp one night , the night before a race , never slipped him just let him see quarry running , he was howling with excitement .............he smashed the lids , led all the way , backed from 4/1 into 2/1 ,,,,no animal is the same as the next one , some need different methods to get to the bottom of them .

• Like 2

Is using a dropper any worse than entering a coursing pup on a September stubble hare , or a bull x , doubled up on a fox ,the key to any lurcher is not over matching it as a pup ,,,,,as for geeing up ,,I once had a greyhound that never hit the lids , but finished fast , we took him out on the lamp one night , the night before a race , never slipped him just let him see quarry running , he was howling with excitement .............he smashed the lids , led all the way , backed from 4/1 into 2/1 ,,,,no animal is the same as the next one , some need different methods to get to the bottom of them .

Or dazzling a bunny with a lamp,a kick up,a release when another dog as done the leg work,using a snare or trap,poison,a sapling terrier behind the shovel,a non fatal gunshot,summer hunting,more than 1 dog on an easy slip,etc.etc.,we,ve all been there at some time or other.Throwing a cub into an hound enclosure is piss poor,i could,nt live with that,treble standards perhaps.

• Like 1

Heard of some things that, people would say the would do, and unfair or cruel. I wouldn't see the need for it or have or want to do it. On a thought of a good huntsmen, I know, he wouldn't kill no Fox like that, and isn't into it for the kills. September is cubbing time for him, thats starting young dogs hunting, not killing

To your first paragraph Dan then IMO yes it is worse. All the others offer a dog a better 'chance' to catch in a natural state. September stubbles still bloody run, as do doubled up foxes, even using a dazzler. And in those cases the quarry is all natural, untouched by human hands.

Look, i'm no fecking saint, few of us are but i'd rather loose sleep worrying about my youngsters first night out, than offer it sommat almost on a plate and if i'm gonna handle a live wild rabbit then i'm gonna be the one that kills it, as quickly and humainly as possible.

To your first paragraph Dan then IMO yes it is worse. All the others offer a dog a better 'chance' to catch in a natural state. September stubbles still bloody run, as do doubled up foxes, even using a dazzler. And in those cases the quarry is all natural, untouched by human hands.

Look, i'm no fecking saint, few of us are but i'd rather loose sleep worrying about my youngsters first night out, than offer it sommat almost on a plate and if i'm gonna handle a live wild rabbit then i'm gonna be the one that kills it, as quickly and humainly as possible.

In an ideal hunting scenario the quarry would live to run another day and in reality the majority of true hunters appreciate more the escapee,a catch and kill is often a short burst of euphoria followed by a feeling of guilt and regret.We still make every effort to nurture,educate and enter our jukels into the field with the sole intention of getting them into the best possible position to catch and dispatch quickly and efficiently.The dirty shortcuts we often take to reach our goal are often far less pleasant than what we deem to be "hunting".Hunters know the true value and meaning of the hunt,others appreciate only the catch and kill stage,we may have a common intention yet rarely a common goal,every hunt should be about the hunt only,the catch is secondary to many of us and a quick,efficient kill is a blessing that soothes our hunting endeavour.A prolonged or unnecessary kill we find totally abborhent,especially a baby fox slung to hounds,in reality we,ve done worse in pursuit of our ambitions,sadly.

• Like 1