Subsistence Lifestyle Could You ???

There are a lot of programmes on at the moment like life below zero ... the last Alaskans etc showing the hardships and rewards of living a susbsistence lifestyle ... Getting what you need from the land from trapping hunting foraging and growing your own food ... No electricity no phone no internet no tv .... Complete isolation either on your own or with your missus ... Personally I would

Love this way of life and if my missus said lets do it I would be gone like a shot ... Whether in reality I could make it happen is another thing but I would have a bloody good go ... What's your thoughts fellas ... Would you ... Or wouldn't you ???????

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think its a great Idea and something I'd like to do for a week or two to get away from everything but not as a lifestyle You could learn to really use your practical living skills properly   Troubl

I live in a cabin I built myself, no telly and probably % meat or fish I eat I caught. Got hens and now some sheep. Not really subsistence as I work but I try, can't be doing with the veggies etc thou

But how would we get on thl without the internet?

I'd give it a go.. I always think the likes of us would be crap on these 'survivor' type programs because we'd just get on with it without the drama and fuss..

I would go tomorrow definately.with the lads and wife.

I worry like hell now about my 3 lads.9,13,14,about there futures.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid.or maybe it's normal to worry about the future for the kids.either way it does my head in.

So yea go.all that peace and quiet and a slow pace of life would be great.

• Like 1

I've thought about it and what it would entail. I could handle the no TV or phone but the internet I would still like to learn stuff if I didn't have the books.

My idea of subsistence would be a small holding with enough land to live off and maybe some leccy for a fridge to keep the home brew chilled. I could do that on my own but not with my missus, she go absolutely feckin bananas.

• Like 2

Think its a great Idea and something I'd like to do for a week or two to get away from everything but not as a lifestyle

You could learn to really use your practical living skills properly

Trouble is the telly doesn't show the hardship of cold, wet, rainy days when you can't get yourself warm or dry and you've got all night to suffer. Unless your as good as ray mears then your shelter WILL leak!!

Done that on survival weekends when I was young. Sat in a tiny homemade shelter on damp conifer branches with everything too wet to start a fire.

Plus Being sat there every night for 6-8 hours of dark with just the missus for company doesn't sound like a ball either!!.. Nice to start with but wearing after a while.

Same as solo wild camping. I love it for a night or two, sat by the fire chilling with my own thoughts and watching the fire die down. Night number three and your looking for stuff to do. If you have wood and food then there's nothing else to occupy you.

• Like 5

I like the idea of walking out of my door to see snow capped mountains and having no neighbours for 40 miles in any direction but the reality is I'm too lazy for a life like that.

I warched a you tube video yesterday were a family lived out in the Russian wilderness and seen nobody for 40 years... now that's out in the sticks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2AYafET68

• Like 1

I do like solitude, and my own company, most of the hunting; fishing i do is usually on my own. I'm sure I could survive if need be, but as a life style choice no thanks, I would still like a few mod con's, ie chain saw etc.

• Like 2

Love life below zero,,,

But there's only one on that program that truly lives like you say,,,and that's that glen fella,,,,the one that always seems to be naked,,,lol. He doesn't even have anything mechanical ,,apart from traps and guns,,,,he don't even have a chainsaw..

All the others,,have the net ect,,,

But I get what your saying,,it would be some adventure that for sure,,,I would love to go on that island program ,,,the way they struggle with everything...

Last one that was on,,they eventually caught a pig,,,by chasing it round,,,surly they could have built a live trap similar to a fox trap,,,just made of poles cut from the Forrest and lashed together,,,bit of bait in the end..

And not just one trap,,,but many,,,,another thing,,,night lines,,,length of rope with loads of hooks baited ,,,they could make hooks out of the tin cans they find....

There's always a net on that island,,,,if it don't catch,,,Move it regular,,,,or perhaps try to scare or Hurd the fish in to the net,,,seen that on a program about native folk somwhere or other,,,,,or even tie biat to the net,,,think outside the box...

Deadfall traps for seagulls,, two big flat heavy rocks,,bit of fish head,,,again not just one trap ,,but many...

There shelter is always shit,,,they should be cutting loads of poles from the forest...

Feck me I seen a fella on YouTube build a house with a tiled roof just from poles and clay,,,,ok I might be able to go that far,,,but you could easily get the poles...

Going on a bit now I am ,,lol

• Like 2

I am talking about having a cabin built near a good water source not just dumped in the wilds and having to build a bivvi ... If you were established I can't see you ever being bored there would just be to much to do on a daily basis .......

• Like 2