Please do tell?

Waspbane is a company down south who invented/sell their own wasp traps. The idea is the traps attract the scout wasps who are looking for a food source for the colony. If these forager scouts are trapped, then no message gets back to the nest. and the area being kept clear of wasps, ie amusement park, ice cream kiosk, pub garden etc is protected from majority of wasps.= less stings

Edited by shropshire mole

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had an old lady ring up asked for a price on a nest It's right next to the front door it's very busy The old fella hadn't been out for 3 days because he's on a walking frame and isn't quick enou

Got call out to day to 94 year old lady wasp nest in roof,took about 5 min to do went in to get paid house in poor repair,she pulled out old purse started counting old fivers and pound coins now I do

Lol I'm the same.   Went to one the other day she said she had one and possibly another....I said £30 and I wouldn't charge for the extra one. She was so frail and doddery   ....ended up doing si

It's a nice theory, but for that to work they would need to have the traps set up before the season really kicks off, and how many places are willing to proactively look for (and more importantly pay for) wasp control? In my experience not very many. Whether it would work in practice is debatable, and I don't know if any of you have ever discussed anything with Karol from Waspbane? He could argue the back legs off a donkey.

We have a local Lido, and even in past years when there have been few wasps around, it seems for some reason to be blighted with them. What do they do about it? Sod all. I have offered to help a few times, they treat me like a highwayman.

Edited by Torquemada

I don't think the theory of homeless wasps is correct.

Iv no way to prove either way. I'd think even if the refused to enter a treated nest they would hang around the area searching

• Like 1

Apparently the theory is that 'sentry' wasps allow workers to re enter the nest and they wont unless the sentrys are there. They (sentry) are killed by nest treatment so workers dont go in, so start sweet feeding and become a nuisance. Workers certainly are hesitant and gather outside post treatment, but I also think they do eventually and are killed. I treated a nest in my garden in July and had no nuisance wasps at a barbecue the following day...

On a similar note, I've heard a theory that wasps don't feed near their own nest as it can attract wasps from neighboring nests, which will rob theirs of larvae. I've certainly seen wasps robbing larvae from a nest...

I also hang around for ten mins sometimes more depending how busy I am monitoring the nest after I dust it.. I always see a few wasps merge from the nest as soon as its dusted, my theory is that they are out and giving of a pheromone then drones pick this up and within 5 to 10 mins the entrance of the nests bes very active with all wasps entering and exiting and you can usually see that all will have picked up dust on their back and legs... I was called to put non return valves on an old house today where rats where getting in and blocking the drains with stone and coming up the pipe... we got there sewer was blocked so we unblocked it for her first so we had to sink a hole out her back.... there was a wasp nest in under her lead that she didn't know about so she also wanted that treated. so I treated the nest and took the tae while we waited. for the hole was to be sunk right beside nest...30 mins later come round the back and nest was still very active and now they wanted to sting....I just pumped 25 grammes of Ficam D into it half hour before and I often here pestys saying that nest will be dead in an hour... that nest was still active 2 hrs later?

I find different nests act differently. Some times you treat a nest and wasps are in and out getting well dusted....other nests it seems the returning wasps don't want to enter, they seem more sensitive and take a sniff and back off.

Iv started to pump powder right into the entrance and not leave it around the area. For instance behind flashing, get the nozzle right in and don't leave it around the entrance. I find returning wasps enter quickly then even if the back out they have some dust on them.

I find different nests act differently. Some times you treat a nest and wasps are in and out getting well dusted....other nests it seems the returning wasps don't want to enter, they seem more sensitive and take a sniff and back off.

Iv started to pump powder right into the entrance and not leave it around the area. For instance behind flashing, get the nozzle right in and don't leave it around the entrance. I find returning wasps enter quickly then even if the back out they have some dust on them.

Dido I even lift back flashing a bit after watching them for ten mins to make sure I have a greater chance of penetration... I have never had a call back but I think its not over as quick as some think.

I think it is to do with how deep within any structure the nest is. If you get the dust actually onto the nest it's quite quick. But if the nest is further back, even if you stick the rod deep into the entrance, you still aren't getting any directly on the nest, therefore longer to die.

Edited by Torquemada

Got call out to day to 94 year old lady wasp nest in roof,took about 5 min to do went in to get paid house in poor repair,she pulled out old purse started counting old fivers and pound coins now I don't no if it was spiritual or I'm going soft in my old age I just could not take her money.just wait till I go to the next job and see league cruel sports rspca badge on their cars I will take them to the cleaners getting back to my old self.

• Like 5

Lol I'm the same.

Went to one the other day she said she had one and possibly another....I said £30 and I wouldn't charge for the extra one. She was so frail and doddery

....ended up doing six nests!

She was prob a solicitor or a loan shark when younger and I'm working for nothing!

• Like 2

Lol I'm the same.

Went to one the other day she said she had one and possibly another....I said £30 and I wouldn't charge for the extra one. She was so frail and doddery

....ended up doing six nests!

She was prob a solicitor or a loan shark when younger and I'm working for nothing!

But, bet you feel nice inside knowing that you have helped someone who is in need