'Fire put' and 'fire bowl' sound like 'pan fried' to me. Our best barbecues have always been gas bottle on re-bar, so easy to just feed with wood after the cooking. (And the washing machine drum brazier is always a handy extra).!

But some friends have a Chiminea with removable top, the base of which can be used as a barbecue, and also with a paella pan on. They say they got it in B&Q but it was a fee years ago.

Edited by Squeamish5

I was sat round a washing machine drum in a field a few weeks back, they work bloody well as a fire pit. I reckon it wouldn't take much to make it look a bit more Homes and Gardens to suit your 'dapper city bloke retired to the country to live amongst the yokels' look Dai! :laugh:

I was sat round a washing machine drum in a field a few weeks back, they work bloody well as a fire pit. I reckon it wouldn't take much to make it look a bit more Homes and Gardens to suit your 'dapper city bloke retired to the country to live amongst the yokels' look Dai! :laugh:

A washing machine drum in a field. Sounds lovely. :laugh:

We do have to keep up appearances. :D I don't have a washing machine drum so I'd have to go and buy one. Then i'd have to "do it up". Probably just as cheap to buy something that is made for the job.

Guest Navek

I've got a grill for mine aswell cost me a 5er s o can cook on it...I can get old pallets from work so have loads wood to burn but if I want something to last couple hour I use logs or the spacers of pallets wich look like compressed blocks of sawdust .

• 4 weeks later...

I've got both and prefer the chimnea. they hold heat and burn longer as the air flow is a bit more restricted, almost like a pizza oven with a chimney. to be honest, i always light both tho, i do like a good burn up of an evening with an ale or two...as for clay chimneas cracking, it's usally down to not curing them right. the first few times you use a clay you should barely load it and let it just burn out, this puts a good coating of soot on the inside, then just crack on. iv'e had one over ten yrs with no problems, and i'll have the flames lapping out the top of it...

Yokel

• Like 1