I've known a bitch prolapse in her first season due I believe to getting too exited by a dog nearby but just my own theory.Some are much worse than other I know from seeing it elsewhere and what Lee had was minor .

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think that the most stupid decision I've ever heard . There's no way I would have had her put down if she was that good of a dog . she's still only young she's give who ever three season's but coz s

Lee if your bitch was as good as you say i cant for the world understand why you pts.The other dog you have JOE you have said that it does not look like he is going to make a digging dog as he has com

What a shame a good little dog who was prepared to give her all ended up with someone who wouldn't do the same for her..

Posted Images

I once left a bitch in the vets for treatment after a long hard dig.My usual vet had answered the phone to me and said bring her on in.When i got there my usual vet had been called out to a mare that was foaling and there was a lady vet there instead.My bitch was clearly well marked up from wprk over the years which she made a comment on straight away and i replied it was all part of the job the dog done and she just shook her head and took the bitch away to put her on a drip.She said the bitch would have to be kept over night and to phone next morn.I was away to work around 6 and around 8 i decided to phone to be told they had put my bitch to sleep and when i inquired as to the reason for it she replied by saying the bitch had kidney failure which i dont believe for a second.When i asked as to why i was not informed they were going to pts she said it was in the interest of the dog and was the best thing to do.I then after a lot of trying got in touch with my usual vet and when i told him about the bitch he told me it was late when he had got back to the clinic and he did peep in at the bitch and that she looked comfortable and was no under any stress at that stage.I now use a different vet that does not blink an eye no matter what state the terrier is in which is the way it should be.

• Like 3

I once left a bitch in the vets for treatment after a long hard dig.My usual vet had answered the phone to me and said bring her on in.When i got there my usual vet had been called out to a mare that was foaling and there was a lady vet there instead.My bitch was clearly well marked up from wprk over the years which she made a comment on straight away and i replied it was all part of the job the dog done and she just shook her head and took the bitch away to put her on a drip.She said the bitch would have to be kept over night and to phone next morn.I was away to work around 6 and around 8 i decided to phone to be told they had put my bitch to sleep and when i inquired as to the reason for it she replied by saying the bitch had kidney failure which i dont believe for a second.When i asked as to why i was not informed they were going to pts she said it was in the interest of the dog and was the best thing to do.I then after a lot of trying got in touch with my usual vet and when i told him about the bitch he told me it was late when he had got back to the clinic and he did peep in at the bitch and that she looked comfortable and was no under any stress at that stage.I now use a different vet that does not blink an eye no matter what state the terrier is in which is the way it should be.

that vet should be put to sleep for killing your dog without notifying you.
  • Like 2

That Vet gave 2 options, PTS or Spay, there's always another option in these things thats easy to forget.

Do nothing.

Wait and see. Most people don't think clearly under pressure, probably no one does. So it's easy to make mistakes when a bit stressed. With a prolapse the main risks are infection and inability to pass urine, antibiotics and a catheter would manage.

This link is very, very useful, if interested. http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/reproductive_system/reproductive_diseases_of_the_female_small_animal/vaginal_hyperplasia_in_small_animals.html

You can still breed from a bitch that prolapses.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The vet that gave that advice is a wanker should have left the bitch and kept an eye to make sure she was toileting properly the prolapse would have went down in time it is cause by the bitches hormones being to high because of her season she might not have had another one in her next season and you might have been able to breed of her but I would have left her to her next season for sure before making any decision and any decent ver should have told you that most of them are just in it for the coin

• Like 3

This attitude that vets are only in it for the coin? What's that all about? Are Plumbers not in it for the coin? and doctors and carpenters, anybody?

I've a good friend who's a vet. He does it for money. Is that a surprise?????

For a vet the average starting salary is £31k after 10 years it mid £40's and that's a salary, the greedy b@stards, he's on call every second weekend and a few nights a week. Most people working at a vets don't make more if they do this or that to your dog. What usually motivates their decision is you, you're reluctance to dig into your pockets.

And hassle, they don't need comebacks, safest thing for that vet to do was spay or kill, job done relax back to work back on call.

It's your dog, your call.

This attitude that vets are only in it for the coin? What's that all about? Are Plumbers not in it for the coin? and doctors and carpenters, anybody?

For a vet the average starting salary is £31k after 10 years it mid £40's and that's a salary, the greedy b@stards, he's on call every second weekend and a few nights a week. Most people working at a vets don't make more if they do this or that to your dog. What usually motivates their decision is you, you're reluctance to dig into your pockets.

And hassle, they don't need comebacks, safest thing for that vet to do was spay or kill, job done relax back to work back on call.

There a bit like dogs Bryan,not all the same,i have a mate who wanted to get his old lab pts and did not want to do it himself or let me so he phoned a vet in a local town to us,he was asked 90euro to pts and dispose of the dog.He phoned me and told me the craic and i then phoned a lady vet i deal with and she done it for 25 disposing of the dog and all,same injection but 65 euro cheaper same thing when jabing a pup or adult dog she is cheaper by miles.

• Like 2

Most vets are robbing b*****ds that know your in trouble and take full advantage charging you a fortune for things that doesn't really cost them much. We all have to make money at our job but they really take the mick. They buy Parva vacs for no more than 5 pounds what would they charge us

• Like 1

If you read the post Bryan I said most vets are in it for the coin not all You do get decent vets the same as anything some vets around me will give you a bottle of aludex of the shelf for 20 pounds while others won't give it to you without a consultation bringing the bill to near 40 to tell you what you already know for that vet to say put the dog to sleep over a prolapse as an option at all I just find ludicrous
  • Like 2

SEVEN EUROES FOXBOLTER THATS WHAT THEY CHARGE HERE.

I can buy the 7 in 1 jab for 12euro in my local chemist and the vets in town will charge you 45 +15 for the visit which all in ends up 60 euro,robbing b*****ds,my own vet lets me have the jabs for a tenner but its not worth the hassle driving down to her when i can get them beside me for 2 euro more.

• Like 1

I did mate yes a hard decision for me as it leave me workerless. Took her to the vet was told I had 2 choices neutering or pts having limited space I'm afraid I didn't want to be left with a bitch that was a dead end so to speak. I did consult the breeder who gave me her before and after the event

was she any good?