Elderflower Champagne

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seeing as the elderflower are out and I've got the brewing bug thought I'd give this go,as I say quite often I like things simple so had browse and found this one,from river cottage...   Ingredients

That's the same recipe I've been using for 7 or 8 years now and it's nice and simple. I also make my Ginger Beer the same way. Careful how you store it, it can be very volatile and can explode. I ga

Hopefully i don't have that happen but it's smells real good at the minute so got high hopes for this one...

Posted Images

It's misleading. I didn't add the yeast and nothing exciting has happened so far....

From what I gather, there are natural yeasts on the flowers, so they should ferment without needing to add extra yeast.

Have you made cordial with your elderflowers? Easy for kids to make too.

It's misleading. I didn't add the yeast and nothing exciting has happened so far....

From what I gather, there are natural yeasts on the flowers, so they should ferment without needing to add extra yeast.

I only found out I had the tree last week and I am battling my way through cutting everything back, in fact we might have two but another hollybush has to go before I can get back there.

That sounds like a nice idea my daughter would love to have a go at something like that. How do you know when the flowers are ready to be picked?

So pinch meant left out? I definitely don't want exploding bottles I have learned my lesson with glass wounds they're horrendous.

Thanks for the reply

I only found out I had the tree last week and I am battling my way through cutting everything back, in fact we might have two but another hollybush has to go before I can get back there.

That sounds like a nice idea my daughter would love to have a go at something like that. How do you know when the flowers are ready to be picked?

So pinch meant left out? I definitely don't want exploding bottles I have learned my lesson with glass wounds they're horrendous.

Thanks for the reply

Ah! I read 'pitch the yeast' as 'chuck it in' whereas I think you're right... it means 'chuck it away'. That makes more sense, given my results so far. (I know nothing about fermenting/ wine making; never tried it before).

Re cordial: I use 10 flower heads: 1 pt water; 1 lb sugar; 1 lemon. (If making bigger batches I use 2:1 lemons:oranges)

Pour pint boiling water over sugar, stir to dissolve. Cool down to hot-warm. Add sliced lemon and flowers. Leave covered for 24-48 hours. Strain. Keep in fridge or freeze half in plastic bottle.

Dilute to taste. (Also nice added to gooseberry fool).

You can add citric acid, or campden tablet, as preservative if you make lots.

Flowers are ready if they're open and smell good on a warm morning.

• Like 1

So I'm on day 6. No yeast. It's in a fermentation bucket with lid. Lid shows signs of something going on i.e. gone convex (Not alarmingly) and can see little bubbles at top through bucket. Should I release pressure a bit? Or just let the contents expand inside?

Seriously no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here.

Should I be releasing pressure, or is the pressure what makes it fizz?

So I'm on day 6. No yeast. It's in a fermentation bucket with lid. Lid shows signs of something going on i.e. gone convex (Not alarmingly) and can see little bubbles at top through bucket. Should I release pressure a bit? Or just let the contents expand inside?

Seriously no idea what I'm supposed to be doing here.

Should I be releasing pressure, or is the pressure what makes it fizz?

I have no idea but I will be checking back in a few days to see if you get some kind of explosion lol

I'm going to start ours soon, I just realised I've got a fermenting bucket in the garage, I can't wait.

I hAve an air lock on my bucket you can get a pack of 2 from wilko for about £2

Thanks for the info. But... Thing is I'm simply trying this out this year and I use these buckets for fruit vodkas/ gins usually.

You said yours was bubbling from day 2. I only faintly remember 'fermentation process' from o level chemistry.

Should I be releasing pressure or not?

(I'd vaguely planned to do a second batch using yeast from the off, to compare, although we're past mid point for flower season here.)

If I take the lid off to have a look and a taste, will I be ruining what I've got so far?

• Like 1

I don't think so as my air lock let's the pressure out and I open mine and taste it so I think you will be fine

Ok. Just did that. Stirred it round with a ladle, had a taste. Delish, strongly floral, and a bit fizzy, although quite viscous/soapy consistency. Is something going dreadfully wrong, or is this normal?

(And huge thanks for feedback)