I have always used top line scopes but recently was given a new Richter Optik RI 4-16 x 50 SFN and after mounting it then having a day on the range soon found that it was very close to the equal of my other scopes including the Mamba and Hawkes. In future I will take more time to read reviews and specs before I take the easy route and waste my money, some were 3 and 4 times the cost, on named brands that offer precious little more usability for me. The build quality was also more than acceptable so they win my future business.

For a little over a hundred notes they really are worth a go....

I'm all for cost effective scopes, and modern manufacturing/engineering techniques mean there are a few pleasant surprises out there.

I don't know about the newer Richter but I had one a while back, maybe as long as 10 years ago and it was pants, both optically and engineering!

It was one of the few mistakes I have made.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Deker,

Years ago they were a bit poor but I would really suggest that you give the new range a go. Mine latest one is not listed on the Richter Optik website but is a new model and a side focus one too, the RI 4-16x50 SFN, fitted to my HW100 FSBKT, which I got for 99.95 (should have been 149.00) including the side wheel and mounts. Sadly they do not offer a sunshade though and it is a different diameter to any others available. I intend to run one up myself soon though.

My 'older' but still new model is the RI 8-32x50 AOE SF which did not come with a side wheel. This is currently fitted to my LGU. I know shooters who have the same scope fitted to their FAC centre fire rifles and they say that the zero is stable and the reticle has given no problems at all even when out on rough hunts. That was one of the reasons I gave them another try myself.

The other scopes I have in use are all Hawke 50mm's fitted to my Brocock Contour Elite and Daystate Regal and I cannot see any real difference in any of the build or lens clarity qualities between them.

Have a closer look at them next time you seek a scope and save a bit of coin. The turrets are really easy to use too.

• Like 1

There's a review on these on last week's airgun show and they look good. Iv owned an old model and it was pants but looks like they might be decent now and seen them for £99.99 posted. Very tempted.

Go for it and you will not be disappointed. I have now bought another one and fitted it to my LGU too!

Bear in mind though that on the Richter Optik website all models are not shown. Mine are not and they are the RI 4-16x50 SFN (side focus) ones which I picked up online for 99.99, usually retailing for 149.00.

I am working at the moment on adapting a 100mm side wheel to fit it instead of the 40mm one it has. Should be finished it today with luck then just got to calibrate and mark its edges with distances. I will probably post some pictures of it later.

:thumbs:

I'm with Dekers on this one. I was really disappointed with the Richter scope I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. Ended up buying a different scope and letting the Richter go on a rifle I was selling.

• Like 1

7 or 8 years ago is a long, long time in the world of progress and development. I was of the same opinion and also let a rifle go with the old type/model scope on it in 2009. I then looked at the new range and found to my surprise that the progress they had made in those years since was remarkable so I bought one. After using it for a few weeks and handing it some punishment in open country without loss of zero or anything else (also gone was the weak reticle which had had a mind of its own and moved at the slightest bump) I searched for a review online. That led me to the new Richter Optik site managed by the importer and its content explained how far they had progressed in both design, performance, ruggedness and accuracy so I visited my usual supplier and bought another of the same model.

I am more than happy with it and the others I shoot alongside who use top Hawke ones are re-considering their choices and wallet savings. Only let down I see is that the 40mm diameter side wheel could have been bigger but I have taken steps to solve that one.

Unless the new ones are given a fair trial by those who used to have the older models, with all of their weaknesses, I think it is a bit unfair to class the new models as the same as the older ones. They are far, far better in all aspects.

Go on - give the newer ones a fair go......

7 or 8 years ago is a long, long time in the world of progress and development. I was of the same opinion and also let a rifle go with the old type/model scope on it in 2009. I then looked at the new range and found to my surprise that the progress they had made in those years since was remarkable so I bought one. After using it for a few weeks and handing it some punishment in open country without loss of zero or anything else (also gone was the weak reticle which had had a mind of its own and moved at the slightest bump) I searched for a review online. That led me to the new Richter Optik site managed by the importer and its content explained how far they had progressed in both design, performance, ruggedness and accuracy so I visited my usual supplier and bought another of the same model.

I am more than happy with it and the others I shoot alongside who use top Hawke ones are re-considering their choices and wallet savings. Only let down I see is that the 40mm diameter side wheel could have been bigger but I have taken steps to solve that one.

Unless the new ones are given a fair trial by those who used to have the older models, with all of their weaknesses, I think it is a bit unfair to class the new models as the same as the older ones. They are far, far better in all aspects.

Go on - give the newer ones a fair go......

No thank you. Once bitten, twice shy. Buy cheap, buy twice.

• Like 1

Buy cheap? They are not exactly cheap even at the low price I was asked for on an introductory offer for the new range. All of the old range are now discontinued. But no problem, it was only a suggestion for you to try the newer models, even by borrowing one of mine if you lived locally. Its your money and your option not to try them so you will never really know the truth of how much they have progressed. I can remember rifles which were once scorned as being poor and now are in use by many (in competitions too) since they have been developed and improved. Its a thing called progress and it never stops.

Happy shooting....

• 2 weeks later...

I had one on my hmr and it was a pile of shite, zero moved when you adjusted the focus

Might be ok on air rifles but at longer distance it moved a few inches so I scrapped it

I won't buy another, its not so much the money its more of having confidence in your setup without having to check zero every time you go out

No need for bad language thank you. There are other words to describe things which are disliked.

Hardly surprising. I would never had fitted a cheap scope such as the Richter onto any of my full bores, even now with their new and much improved range I would still limit their use to air only and then to those with a proven low recoil action.

Personally I just don't see the point in spending more than necessary on a scope that gives no more accuracy than the more expensive ones and I suspect are bought more as a posing point than anything else. I tend to equal or sometimes even outperform some better equipped (in their minds) target shooters without all of their expense.

:D On the lighter side and for my own curiosity whilst I compose the thesis for my psychology course can anyone tell me why target shooters on the target only ranges tend to wear camouflage clothing? Most of the people I see and shoot with just wear casual comfortable clothing and they perform just as well or better. I can appreciate that when in the open country and it is a benefit when camo is worn but paper targets cannot see as far as I know making it unnecessary. Is it just another idiosyncrasy which makes them believe they will perform better dressed as hunters or is it a relaxing escapism fantasy play role? After speaking to lots of the general public the general consensus of the sight of someone seen to be wearing camo clothing and carrying a rifle causes them concern even in open country. When asked what they did the common reply was 'I telephoned the police to report it'. I do not doubt that this is the result of so much negative press caused by an irresponsible minority but little appears to be being done to put forward the more positive aspects adopted by the vast majority of responsible shooters. Target shooting is a recognized Olympic sport after all and provides jobs and income to the country.

I intend to research this subject further when (if) I receive my degree so all views are welcome.

Edited by jantar