Today's attempt is nettle wine,read good things about this one and it's cheap and simple so it's in the fermenter...

You'll need:

Nettle tips,2 litres when gently pressed down

1 kg sugar

350g sultanas

1 tspn citric acid/juice 2 lemons

1 tspn tannin/cup black tea

Yeast

Yeast nutrient

Then,clean off the nettles before boiling them for around twenty minutes,strain the juice over the sugar and sultanas in a primary fermenter,make up to a gallon then add the acid and tannin,allow to cool before adding the yeast and nutrient,leave to ferment for five days somewhere warm,strain into a demijohn and add airlock,leave until fermentation has ended before racking to clear,adding campden tablets and stabiliser if you want,once clear syphon into bottles and enjoy!

Some pics so far...

post-91341-0-34880200-1465158843_thumb.jpg

post-91341-0-83871300-1465158873_thumb.jpg

I'll update as I go along...

Looks good worth a try that

Been meaning to try for a while but got a list I'm kind of working through,heard good things about it so hoping for a nice tipple...

• Like 1

Looks good worth a try that

Been meaning to try for a while but got a list I'm kind of working through,heard good things about it so hoping for a nice tipple...

i need to get some home brew stuff in, as in camden tablets and such, I used to love hedgerow wines over bought stuff, we are just seeing the elder flowers opening now, so will go shopping fri,good luck with it,
  • 3 weeks later...

Best of luck with that. I tried doing it once. Put about six large bottles in the outside coal place to ferment. Two weeks later there was a massive explosion as one bottle burst and the shrapnel took out the others. The coal place was drenched in nettle pop and we had wasps trying to get in all summer. Never again :laugh: