Best Gun Dog?

i like all of them dogs :yes: , does your cockers have trouble picking male birds up ie. ducks and phesants?

Cheers

Matt what you doing over Christmas ? ill take you out and you can see different dogs and get a perspective of different dogs.

pm if your intrested

Regards Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i find that odvisiously all varies.

springers are my first chose. however, you get two types of springers in my mind.

you get the barrel like ones that are good and are less nutty.

you then also get the more whippet type ones which are great brushing dogs but take quite abit of training.

the picture below is of the neat type.

i have just bred from this dog and the bitch(my dog) is similiar and is a great dog. however, toke quite a bit of training.

i've already sold 3 to a neighbouring keeper. we still have some left if you are looking for one.

where are you based.

Nice picture, what a proud looking spaniel :thumbs: Brings back memories of the springer we used to have when my dad used to shoot. What a dog! It was a joy to watch my Dad work with her & the shotgun. She was the first working dog I ever saw, flushing phesant & retrieving the odd duck. She was a bugger for following you, if she managed to get out,, she'd stalk behind you keeping a low profile. She even walked into class one afternoon, after I'd gone home for dinner from school!

Anyway, sorry for being so sentimental!

If you do decide to get a springer spaniel, make sure it's got f*** all show-bred blood in it.

Cocker all the way, dont forget your going to have this dog for maybe 15 years. so i would do it right,

and you will be very happy with a cocker.

this is my first gundog am training up and as long as you take you time and dont rush, and you will NEED PLENTY OF PATIENCE,

you will have a great hunting partner, and buy the best you can with good lines.

015.jpg

she about 5 months in the picture

084.jpg

and about 7 months here

Edited by jamesy

just took a look at the post on here and one thing i have to add to your topic is that there is no such thing as the best gundog overall......plain and simple

I believe that it all depends on the type of ground your shooting over that should dictate your dog......simple observation but a valuable one. SEE my piont been, more water work shooting, rough shooting heavey cover, rough shooting with light cover, if its a general all round performer your looking for then the springer or cocker will be good choices, if the land your shooting on is light cover ,rushes fern's etc then i'd say think about the german shorthaired pointer, but they can be troublesome, always look for attention, can be destructive if not getting out alot, but will run all day range anywhere stop point flush, so you know were your bird is going to be, on the other hand the springer is a little grafter, very good at going to heavey cover, but gets easily tired if working in long grass rushes etc as he has only one speed and it's all or nothing. For the heavey cover over a long period 2 speed dog searching slow and steady, scent flat out, the cocker only seems to bound in when somethig is in the cover for certain. will work alot longer than the springer. For duck shooting etc the lab simple. just my humble opinion people, think which ground you mainly shoot over cover wise then choose the dog..... good luck and enjoy no matter what you choose. :thumbs:

just took a look at the post on here and one thing i have to add to your topic is that there is no such thing as the best gundog overall......plain and simple

I believe that it all depends on the type of ground your shooting over that should dictate your dog......simple observation but a valuable one. SEE my piont been, more water work shooting, rough shooting heavey cover, rough shooting with light cover, if its a general all round performer your looking for then the springer or cocker will be good choices, if the land your shooting on is light cover ,rushes fern's etc then i'd say think about the german shorthaired pointer, but they can be troublesome, always look for attention, can be destructive if not getting out alot, but will run all day range anywhere stop point flush, so you know were your bird is going to be, on the other hand the springer is a little grafter, very good at going to heavey cover, but gets easily tired if working in long grass rushes etc as he has only one speed and it's all or nothing. For the heavey cover over a long period 2 speed dog searching slow and steady, scent flat out, the cocker only seems to bound in when somethig is in the cover for certain. will work alot longer than the springer. For duck shooting etc the lab simple. just my humble opinion people, think which ground you mainly shoot over cover wise then choose the dog..... good luck and enjoy no matter what you choose. :thumbs:

Your only right :signthankspin: Some Common sense

Edited by k9wpg

Your only right :signthankspin: Some Common sense

:hmm: apart from GSP Iron mouthed Brutes :whistling:

i have to say about the gsp's that the amount of time in training comes out in the dog, i've seen alot of bad and only a few good, but a fella i know purchased one recenty, and i would gladly pay any amount for him, fantastic dog, only onr downfault is that when he gets a strong scent no ammount of calling will deter him from finding were it is at.......and he's not bad in the mouth, which is why the fella bought him for a gsp he's great.....so i have to say the training shows in any dog.

i have to say about the gsp's that the amount of time in training comes out in the dog, i've seen alot of bad and only a few good, but a fella i know purchased one recenty, and i would gladly pay any amount for him, fantastic dog, only onr downfault is that when he gets a strong scent no ammount of calling will deter him from finding were it is at.......and he's not bad in the mouth, which is why the fella bought him for a gsp he's great.....so i have to say the training shows in any dog.

The deadliest dog work I ever saw was on a walk up shoot involving a GSP and a Ess.The old owner of the dogs had them trained as a team The pointer would go on point ,The guns could roll a fag have a chat then on click of a finger the spaniel would flush the bird..not exactly sporting but deadly.The pointer rarely ever went on false point and it would not flush ,but the Ess would do the flush invariably with the Gsp getting the retrieve.

:clapper:

As has been said & any body with dogs will know its down to handler error & any brred well trained is a joy to whatch either lab/spaniel or a pointer breed when worked & handeld well its amazine & in insperation.I like GWP but dont have 1 but quite a intresting set up you mentioned K9WPG with the pointer/spaniel as iv seen a few that do it all ie point-fush-retreive but it worked.

As for cockers picking cock pheasants that was my worrie with my 15month dog but no prob's even a peged/runner is picked & deliverd with ease & softly.

well, things may have changed as of today, maybe for the better, i have been speaking to someone who knows a bloke who live in my town and he has said that he is getting ready to put his lab in for pup and she is in season. This lab is a very good dog and has just recently won a field trial championship and the dog has also won tropheys, so i know it will be a pedigree and good working parents. He has said he will be looking for £450 to £500. So it looks like a lab is on the cards.