Best Gun Dog?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

right cocker or springer i would be very happy with either, not really after a lab rob as im not very keen on them as a gun dog i prefer the spaniels.
are you sure your making the right chioce it just that a couple days ago you did not like labs ,sure you aint just jumping in
yeah zap i can see where you are coming from, but it this a to good opertunity to turn down, plus i been told labs are easier to train than spaniels. and as it is my first dog im thinking this is the best bet.

Just try and not let your head rule your heart, at the end of the day if you're not 100% happy with the breed of dog then you will not put 100% into the training and working of it, setting for 2nd best isn't always a safe bet :hmm:

Just a word of caution, sure you will reach the right choice

Nicola

• 2 weeks later...
Guest davieboy

Just been reading these posts and picking some tips up for myself, i got a lab/cocker cross that is mental but improving all the time but have springer/cocker cross ready begining of feb and i cant wait!!!!

anyone know if the runt of the litter can turn out all right for training ect?????

Just been reading these posts and picking some tips up for myself, i got a lab/cocker cross that is mental but improving all the time but have springer/cocker cross ready begining of feb and i cant wait!!!!

anyone know if the runt of the litter can turn out all right for training ect?????

Simple answer yes.Often a pup which you think will make the grade wont and the ones you dont will.One of my first pups was the smallest in the litter ,allways pushed out the way by her siblings at feeding times ..But she allways stood up for herself and stood her ground. but as time wore on she became bolder and more confident.Now with 8 dogs in kennels she is the Alfa bitch.She just has to curl her lip o noise and the other will obey.

Pups are a lottery none can asses wether the pup has true potential till at least 6 months old and even then its a gamble. :feck:

Regards Steve

i have a good friend who bought two pups from a litter of labs, he bought top dog and the runt. in the end he sold the top dog on and kept the runt and it was the best dog he had ever owned! i think if you give them half a chance they will prove they are worthy. :thumbs:

Regards

Aaron