Muntjac Deer Northern Ireland

Iv had hundreds of the noisy little b*****ds, if you knock one out of cover or see one in a field with a half sensible slip you'll drop it!

Chinese can run well in the colder months but start of season easy pickings.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Saw a small deer out lamping in cork couple years ago,presumed it was a sika fawn but it ran as good as a hare,are muntjac good to run?

i heard they are like courseing a hare mate

I think perhaps you are thinking of Chinese Water Deer. The Muntjac is never far from thorny cover and when he is he makes every effort to get back into it.

It made straight for heavy cover but ran like fuk to get there,we hunt cover for foxes every week with teagles but only ever see sika and fallow the odd time,this was a different creature,do any of ye know are muntjac in cork/Munster area?
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Googled it again and again after going back to the pics. I think, only think, but looking particularly at its ears we have a Chinese Water Deer. At first I'll admit Munti but by heck I'm not100% now. Jok.

Saw a small deer out lamping in cork couple years ago,presumed it was a sika fawn but it ran as good as a hare,are muntjac good to run?

not really,if the dogs on one thats ploughing through heavy cover it aint gonna be on it for long,if it breaks cover into open field you will be needing to get your knife out its all over.

arse biters can take bit stick off the bucks they powerful little feckers and can give some jip but any decent lurcher that takes them properly will make short work of them.

see them almost daily round here although many years ago they seemed quite elusive but once you start to learn a bit about them,their habits movements etc you soon realise your fecking plagued with them in this county.

• Like 4

Googled it again and again after going back to the pics. I think, only think, but looking particularly at its ears we have a Chinese Water Deer. At first I'll admit Munti but by heck I'm not100% now. Jok.

no. its a muntjac. CWD is different shape and more orangey yellow colour. longer legs, flatter back.

• Like 1