Anyone Clued Up On Access Laws?

My neighbour has rights off access down the side of my house and across our garden. It's in both our deeds.

He's willing to give up this right so I can build on the land. Anyone have a clue as to what documents are needed to make this legal.

Thanks.

You'd have to both go and see a solicitor and get the Land Registry to change it accordingly. Might be tricky if one or both of you have a mortgage as the relevant lender won't be keen to give up what is a percentage of their rights.

Cheers chaps. Everything is paid up on both sides so it's just a matter of signing it over to me.

I knew a greedy brief would have to be involved somewhere down the line.

Thanks.

Guess what, you may need to see 2 of them!

I bought some land from a neighbour. He didnt have a mortgage, I was paying cash, needed one each so as not to 'missrepresent' either party.

Im pretty sure we couldve done it with none to be honest.

if no mortgage companies involved its only dealing with land registry, dont think you have to be a solicitor to do that. people usually just pay a solicitor (as I did) because its easier. I did ask my solocitor to represent us both when he did it and he said he wouldnt be able to.

• 3 weeks later...

You will have to have 2 sets of deeds altered and the new ones registered with the land registry, together with a joint agreement extinguishing the right of way across the landowners land and the beneficiary of the right of way agreeing. Very good idea to do it but suggest about £250 is likely price. I have just separated 2 bits of land and that cost £150. Worth it for £500 as the value of your property will increase. Get a couple of quotes first.

• Like 1

Thanks lads.

Things have taken a turn which are going to delay matters. The old boy next door health has deteriorated and he has lost his onions. Dementia is kicking in.

I can't get forward until power of attorney is passed to his family.

oh dear. That may be curtains moxy, or cost you some more money as a buy off to some unscrupulous tw*t who is managing the old boys estate.

That thought has gone through my mind!

It was agreed in principle a while ago with the old boys son present. He will be taking over affairs.

Things may not smell of roses once money is discussed. Particularly if the rest of the family start bickering over the estate.

I should have acted once we had discussed it and agreed. That dementia doesn't mess around.