Air Arms Pro Sport

I've got two, both calibres: 1 & 2

I got my .22 Pro Sport because I couldn't settle with .177. After a lifetime of using .22 It just didn't work for me.

No problems with the cocking levers on mine.

My only gripe is that I usually load left handed (from using an HW35) and the loading aperture has a right handle bias. Gets me almost every time.

.22 are easier to load, especially in cold weather, and find in the dark.

My .22 Pro Sport has become my main gun. Lovely to handle.

The stock on mine has been modded by a previous owner to make it ambidextrous

I have had dalliances with a TX200 and an HW97 but the Pro Sport wins for handling. I found those others to be too front heavy.

It gets a bit hefty after a long wait but I am more than happy with it - I love it.

If you fit a sling, make sure the front swivel is far enough up the barrel as to not foul the cocking stroke.

This is the current set up with a Weaver 1.5 x 1 inch scope on Sportsmatch low mounts.

I have a T20 Red LED clipped on the side.

I go ratting in my duck run.

Got 6 birds sitting on eggs now, so need to bash those rats.

Pro%20Sport%20Weaver%20Low%20001_zpsfih4

Mint looking rifle man, like the lack of 'massive optic', bit different in todays day and age.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally got around to buying a Pro Sport. Maybe not the most practical rifle from the perspective of a sporting tool. Obselete technology as a power source, recoiling action, single shot and slow to

I can only echo mac's comments.   Another vote for the prosport and no problem with two piece mounts at all. But go for quality no cheapy ones  

Where will i start ???   PRO SPORT   more pointable than the tx   balance is perfect   not front end heavy like the tx or the 97   as the under leaver is tucked away under the stock   and

Posted Images

Never tried a pro sport got a tx and a 97 I thought a major reason for having two piece mounts is how they spread the weight of the scope over the top of the gun giving a better distribution and less hold sensitivity .

In my book once you have the scope in the perfect location then spread the mounts as far apart as poss to spread the weight I have a one piece mount on a big scope and you can tell the defference but then that is on my 99 a very light nimble gun that probably shouldn't have a masive scope on it.

Why not just get another airsporter ?? supose that would ruin the rose tinted memories.

Where would I find another mk2 BSA Airsporter S ? I'm always looking.

]

Gunstar, gun trader, free ads, the BSA owners group on fb is a good shout.

There quiet rare mind those AS's S mate... Especially ones in mint condition. One of thee best looking rifles ever made :)

I was going to buy the Prosport but when I picked up the rifle I found it heavy, then picked up the TX200HC next to it, no contest, the TX won in terms of weight between my hands. I do wish however I had tried the prosport on the range but my purchase was made and I am happy with the decision.

Phil

Apart from the BSA owners club I've been keeping an eye on those sites but AS S rarely appear. Anyway, however much I loved the old rifle from what I've read things have moved on a lot and the pro sport is a different class to our old springers. I've still got an Omega that I've also had since new if I'm feeling nostalgic. Thanks for the replies. My mind has been put at rest regarding the cocking lever. Pro sport it is.

• Like 2

well, Ive been shooting the same pro sport for the last seven or so years and put probably 250,000 pellets through it and in that time Ive managed to wear out the original mainspring and recently had to replace the cylinder cos the threads stripped where the underlever cantilever bit joins on to it. mines .22 and apparently its more common in .177. the problem with the pro sport is that the underlever arrangement also pulls the cylinder down when its being cocked, whereas your tx's and 97's just push the cylinder backwards. its not a major issue cos it usually takes quite a few pellets to do it, and its less likely if you run your pro sport at 10.5ish foot pounds in .177.

having said that, its the best rifle Ive ever owned and i wouldnt swap it for the world!

Thanks for that gurtwurz.

I don't think that I've put a quarter of a million rounds through any sporting gun and wont be shooting that much with the next one. It would seem that the pro sport is a tad form over function and that the TX is the better design mechanically . No matter. The form of this rifle I think will iron out any design flaws it may have regarding my criteria, basically just a nice thing to own. I will try and work out how to post pictures on here when I get one.

With respect mac, of course, why is it a better rifle?

That's very much an opinion.

Not that I know, not had a TX, my PS was mint but I hear the TX's are superb. The TX's I've personally shot, are, I would say are a 'better round about rifle' than the PS. I've found PS take some getting used too, but thats an opinion too :)

• Like 1

I`ve shot the pro sport at my local range (my mates gun) and for me, it doesn't even compare to a TX.

I use the TX 200 mk 3 in .177 flavour and find that the accuracy available from this gun is breath taking .

I also hear that a pro sport can be a little under powered - which was confirmed by Air Arms at the recent shooting show. They went on to recommend the TX over the pro sport for hunting.

( Their statement, not mine, thank you)

atb

I`ve shot the pro sport at my local range (my mates gun) and for me, it doesn't even compare to a TX.

I use the TX 200 mk 3 in .177 flavour and find that the accuracy available from this gun is breath taking .

I also hear that a pro sport can be a little under powered - which was confirmed by Air Arms at the recent shooting show. They went on to recommend the TX over the pro sport for hunting.

( Their statement, not mine, thank you)

atb

The first part about you preferring the TX is fair enough. Your opinion is valid in that respect. Some people will prefer one, some the other.

However, your second comment about the Pro Sport being underpowered is nonsense. And it is your comment, not Air Arm's unless you can show us something in writing to back it up. My own .177 Pro Sport, unadulterated by the previous owner was giving around 11.4 ft-lb with JSB Exacts. My friend bought one brand new and got 11.5 ft-lb. Given that the legal limit is 12 ft-lb then how can an 11.4 ft-lb be deemed 'under powered'?

You insinuate that the TX is more accurate and more powerful. So why would people buy the Pro Sport? If you can show me an official statement from Air Arms to say that the Pro Sport is a lesser rifle in any way than the TX then I will eat my hat ;)

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 2

With respect mac, of course, why is it a better rifle?

That's very much an opinion.

Not that I know, not had a TX, my PS was mint but I hear the TX's are superb. The TX's I've personally shot, are, I would say are a 'better round about rifle' than the PS. I've found PS take some getting used too, but thats an opinion too :)

Where will i start ???

PRO SPORT

more pointable than the tx

balance is perfect

not front end heavy like the tx or the 97

as the under leaver is tucked away under the stock

and not under the barrel

looks stunning as you can not see the under leaver

iv had 4 and all have been spot on with power

2 new one,s witch were around 11,47 and 11,78

2 second hand ones again in the 11,47 mark

and the length of it its not small and has a bit of wait about it

and as for hitting the crows they were deadly very deadly hence the nick name CROW SPORT

in any cal 177 or 22

and just as good on the rabbits and pigeons,, pheasants and so on

easy to cock and load no fiddling with the bear trap as there is none on the pro sport

It may just be me preference but just ask the other few 1000 that bought them why

TX200

To little dont like them at all to fiddly to load

front end heavy

the bear trap is a pain

and iv had 4 of these to and not one was good and all were brand new

just a pile of shit if you ask me the pro sport is a far superior rifle

any day of the year

Just because some one at sfs say,s the tx is the best springer you can get and that he could not make it better

well let me tell you we have made them better but still no good for me

if you cant make them better then why is there tuning kits out there for them and not just the tx but the pro sport as well

all my spring rifles are tuned regardless of make and model

so stick that in ya pipe and smoke it

Your right it may just be m,op, BUT ITS MINE

and i dont give a feck what any one say,s

you will be buying a set of fecking sticks next

mac

• Like 4

Macs off on one again lads :laugh:

I might get him some sticks for Christmas :rofl:

Mwah X

"Twat"