Ive been given some Oxford fowl, a cock and 4 hens, lads I know nothing about these so go easy on me if I ask what sound like stupid questions.

I havent picked them up yet as Im getting an area ready for them, so far Ive built a 4x4x4ft hut for them and fenced off an area of approx 10x20ft, does that sound ok, Im looking for info on feeding and general husbandry, perches etc etc, thanks in advance

Yes sounds fine mate. On outside pens I always try and keep some of covered with bit of shelter as the run ends up like a mud bath in bad weather.Also if you putting a bit straw or whatever in for them to scratch in it keeps a bit area dry . If your runs high enough put a perch in too . Use a tree branch see loads of perches made with square timber . Chickens feet weren't made for that shape.

Yes sounds fine mate. On outside pens I always try and keep some of covered with bit of shelter as the run ends up like a mud bath in bad weather.Also if you putting a bit straw or whatever in for them to scratch in it keeps a bit area dry . If your runs high enough put a perch in too . Use a tree branch see loads of perches made with square timber . Chickens feet weren't made for that shape.

I've made the pen out of Heras panels so I'll have room for some perches, never thought of putting them outside, had to cut down a tree to make room for the pen so I'll use some of the branches, if the pen turns to a mud bath I'll move it to another part of the garden but will put a covered area in as well, thanks for the advice.

Game fowl are probably the hardiest of fowl and they'll thrive when given a good place to live and a good diet and clean water.

Don't over feed, about 3 oz per bird per day is enough, and a few handfuls of fresh grass and dandylion leaves a few days a week will help as will a source of protein. You'll be amazed how carnivorous chickens are (I seen a hen eating mice twice recently) and I mix a little soaked dogfood through their grain. Funny, but I don't give my dogs dog nuts, LOL.

And start keeping on top of the vermin from day 1, not when you start to see signs. Rats will take eggs, take chicks and dig holes left right and center.

• 10 months later...