Any Oz Hunter's On Here

Looking for anyone who might have information about a hunting dog called the a.c.d which was used as a tracking and bay dog for hogs was wanting to find out how they might do for pushing rabbit fox and coyote to the gun reason I was asking they seem like they would be pretty good for it the main thing I like is they don't range out as far as a hound would and they don't work as cold track as a hound the only bad thing I read about them is they are not that open so it might be hard to keep up with so any info you all could give great

Edited by kyboy44

Australian Cattle Dog – aka Healer renowned for their ability to endure heat and run all day, very intelligent with a reasonable nose, normally they will work 30-40 yards in front, until a sent is picked up, which is evident by an increase in speed and off they go, I have had a couple of these crossed with E.B.T, and are a common part of a pig dog team, a scrub finder (Nose dog) the down side is they are back leg biters if you don’t get the mix right (seems to be instinctive)

post-102330-0-07101100-1463458970.jpg

Was wondering how they might do over here for pushing game out of cover to y gun

Should be great, they dont usually follow old scent are as game as they come, and tough as nails, they are quick of the mark, top end speed isn't that fast, so probably suit, will chase and bail anything you train them on

Theres a fella not far from me here that has and breeds cattle dog x whippet as bailers, he hunts alot of mountain and pine country. I haven't see them work but have heard from others that are pretty good at there job.

All I could find was be used for hog but then I met a guy on here that was x with a while that was pretty good on fox but said with the bigger game like coyote I may do better with a different x we hunt a lot of Hill's with a lot of trees and cover most looking for a dog that could go into caver and push the game out to the gun

I am looking at them because they don't range OUT like a hound would or take a very cold trail which I like the only bad thing I found about them was they are not that open so they might be hard to keep up with

The only thing would be how would they handle the game I hunt mostly coyotes are what I am worried about we hunt in the winter so they don't run in packs the most we see is 1 or 2 together any of you oz boys think of it like this would you think they could track one of the wild dogs u have from what I have read they are about like with our coyote also would you think a pure blood or a x would be better if a x what kind

• 11 months later...

Mate, I'd be looking for a hunting dog like a wirehaired pointer for rough shooting.Cattle dogs are good guarding your ute or sitting in mad max's interceptor but finding a good working specimen even here is getting hard.They have a lot of bad traits including guarding their kill and dog aggression.Don't think cause their exotic in your country their something special,thousands get put down every year here because of behavioural problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Well they are another one I was looking just seams the ones over here have had the fur hunt breed out of them seams like the ones that come out of earoup are the only ones still used for fur hunting would love to hear any experience you have had with them on anything besides brids

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...