Otter And Mink Hounds Info For The U.s

First of all I know otter hunting is outlawd in the u.k but I am from the u.s and it looks like they would be far game for hunting dogs along with mink it just not that common but I have heard some of the old times talk about dogs that were used to track mink to there dens I was hoping maybe there were few of the old times on here that could remember when otter hunting could be done and turn me on to some training books and maybe know a few things I wanted to ask

The way I understand it otter and mink come from the same family so could the Same dog be used for both

When it could be done for otter was it done at night or day

Were the dogs used to bay up the otter and mink or to catch if to catch would they mess up the skins since that what we hunt for

And last how many dogs were used could say 2 or 3 do it

Also if I understand you correctly they would bay up the mink then hold back until it was jumped and then let loose again have you ever heard of them catching one and if so do they mess up the skins

Not hounds, but there was a superb book called 'Jack' by Frank Walker. It tells of a Belgian Shepherd dog (Groenendael, not Malinois, back in the days when they were really used as working dogs) and his upbringing and work on a big estate. Part of his work was to find otters. I won't spoil it for those who might want to read it, but it is very well written, not sentimental, but written by someone who truly understood how a dog's mind works and nature and countryside matters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jack-Frank-Walker/dp/0718114167

Thanks for the info you all I find a hunting book I had been given that had a few pages about otter hunting and it seemed like the dogs bayed the otter in a den before it was driven out by a terrier then the dogs were let loose then running it down to kill I was thinking if you could bay one in a den it could be take care of better than the dogs do it also if I understand the laws in the u.k dogs can't be used to catch and kill game so if mink hunting is still don how are they keep from killing ever time again just trying to find information about a kind of hunting that could be done but just is not that common

Mink hounds in the UK are hunting rats until the ban is lifted.

Most hound hunting in the UK is done because we enjoy hunting and every chance is given to the quarry to allow it to escape. I'm sure hounds could help you over the water but the point of the exercise would be totally different so you have to remember that when researching English style hunting.

• Like 1

Maybe better off with a good terrier. Would give you some indication if your quarry is about and could possibly work quarry underground.

I had the similar task of explaining staghunting with hounds to an American chap. He said his state had banned hound hunting as it made it to easy. I explained in the UK a small area like the newforest could have 1500 deer culled each year to keep numbers level and it was not unusual to look out the window and see 20 deer in the field...hound hunting in the UK is done to make catching quarry more sporting

Edited by DIDO.1
  • Like 2

Well never thought about a terrier only thing would be in our state has a law against den digen so maybe a cross that would be to big to do underground most what I was trying to understand was how would you get dogs to work otter and mink all the dogs I grew up with were coon and cottontails and the way we got a pup to hunt was to run them with a older dog but nobody has ever used one for otter over here but some of the old times talked about using mink dogs to find the den which give me the idea then I had a book about otter hunting and the dogs run them into a den before catching it but if anyone thinks they know a better way for what I am thinking about please let me know total open to ways I never thought about

Well never thought about a terrier only thing would be in our state has a law against den digen so maybe a cross that would be to big to do underground most what I was trying to understand was how would you get dogs to work otter and mink all the dogs I grew up with were coon and cottontails and the way we got a pup to hunt was to run them with a older dog but nobody has ever used one for otter over here but some of the old times talked about using mink dogs to find the den which give me the idea then I had a book about otter hunting and the dogs run them into a den before catching it but if anyone thinks they know a better way for what I am thinking about please let me know total open to ways I never thought about