Christened Rapid + Archer

There's a corner of my nearest perm where the bunnies laugh at me.

On one side there are houses and a road on the other.

After finally getting around to fixing the leak on my Rapid Mk2 .22 28ftlbs BSA barrel, I cobbled together a DSA (the real ones are £100 apiece) to go on the back of the 4-16 Nite Eye.

My thinking was to plot up in the corner so I was shooting along the back of the houses. I knew there was a sizeable warren in the undergrowth but wasn't sure where.

I settled in and waited, and waited. No sign of Mr bunnie.

All of a sudden a Fox came from one of the back gardens about forty yards away, turned 90 degrees left and came straight at me. The Nite Eye was on 4x mag and I'm still not sure how far away he was before he twigged something wasn't quite right and ran off. I do know that his head filled the viewfinder and his face was a picture.

Shortly after that another three, maybe four Foxes tried to get to where I was. They stayed out to 40/50 yds, looking at me all the time.

After they all sodded off the bunnies gradually started to come out. Mostly well out of range at around 100/130yds.

Eventually one came in to around 65yds and I prayed I had the Archer on straight and I had the range right because I'd never shot this area before. No need to worry. Over he went and on inspection it was a perfect hit going in just behind the eye and because of the loopy trajectory the exit wound was slightly lower.

I was as pleased as punch that the rig had all worked as it should including me for a change. There didn't seem much point in another long wait so I put the Rapid away, I put the Archer on the Anschutz .22LR and took another four from over the other side before going home.

I'm still not sure why things worked out as they did. I'm convinced the lack of rabbits initially was because I was sat on or near the main warren. The amount of Fox activity didn't help.

Why so many Foxes? Was I sitting on their normal route to somewhere else? Was I sitting on their go-to supermarket for dinner? Was I sitting on a hidden den?

Let me make something clear. If asked to shoot a Fox because he's taking chickens/lambs etc I would do so with no hesitation. Aside from that I don't kill for the sake of it and I enjoy watching all wildlife

Thanks David.

In this instance the landowner wants the rabbits controlled so shooting the Foxes would be a retrograde step. There's no livestock to worry about.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...