Total Admiration

Whilst at the RFD today doing a few pellet tests, I saw a second hand AA TX200 in .22 on the rack. Now this is a gun that I have heard great things from some of you boys and confess that I have been toying with the idea of getting one for a little while. The first thing to hit me was the weight, bloody hell these buggers are heavy but none the less, I took it into the range to have a go.

The gun was fitted with an AGS 3-9 x 40 scope which at 25mt I could not get in focus, so that said I had a few shots at a very soft target, my god these things go off with a wallop and the best I could do was to get the shots in a 2'' circle, not impressive but the scope was sh1te to say the least.

I think it has put me off going down this route, I am simply not good enough and you guys who use these springers for hunting and target work have my complete and total admiration, they take some skill. I would like to spend some time with one to learn to master a full power springer but I don't think I would buy one as money is too hard come by to get one on a fancy.

Phil

• Like 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Phil time and patience my friend time and patience   practice and practice some more   a spring rifle will every now and again bite you in the ass just to show you who is boss and even to us lads

Right hears some thing to ponder over   a bit of coaching   Im off back to Simon's in a few weeks to drop off his hw77 stock why don't you come over to his im sure he would not mind and you could

Time and patience Phil, think about your hold and hold her consistently, not tight just loose let her recoil how she wants to. If your testing off a bench a cushion is a good help at first

Posted Images

Phil, there are cheaper options out there and for my money a break barrel is some fun and easy to use, light too.

A shot can be pulled just the same on a recoiless system!

U.

Phil time and patience my friend time and patience

practice and practice some more

a spring rifle will every now and again bite you in the ass just to show you who is boss and even to us lads that use them all the time ,

and a good scope go,s along way on any rifle pcp or spring .

I know a tx is good out of the box and some say they dont need tuning or polishing

but im a strong bi-leaver of this to all my spring rifles

it reduces recoil and smooths out the action and iv had this done to all the tx200,s iv had and there has been a significant difference to them ,

If i had a spare springer i would drop it off for you on the way back down to Simon's with his 77 stock

DONT LET THIS EPISODE PUT YOU OFF MY FRIEND

there a cracking rifle

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 4

Have a read my pinned post thread on Spring Air Rifle shooting philpot. I've written only what I know what works and are the proven facts, after a lifetime of shooting spring piston air guns. TX200 series are an amazing rifle to have. Just reluctantly sold my last TX200HC as it was getting left behind in favour of my H Weihrauch spring rifles. A shame to have a rifle that good left behind gathering dust.

A cheap scope is not going to wonders for your confidence either.

All the best and don't give up on spring power mate!

Simon

As above philpot. Before I had my pcps I finished my springer ownership with a mk3 tx full length in .177 and it is in my opinion among the top 5 spring rifles of all time. Some of the shots I pulled off both on the ground and elevated were staggering with this gun.

Check out some of mark williams posts as he regularly shoots a tx and knows only too well what they are capable of when you know them inside out.

Safe to say I'm not going to swap my 100 but I will definately be adding a tx or a pro sport to the gun cabinet this year.

If you have the money to spend on it then spend it and spend time with it...it won't be long before you can't wipe the smile off your face with the shots you pull off pal.?

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys but I think as my only springer experience was my old Meteor which is not even in the league of TX or HW rifles. I could see from the start, the TX was a serious gun and if I am being honest, I would like to own one as I certainly have the time to practice as a retired old tart and it would be a challenge to master the dark art of springers.

I guess my HW100 is so smooth with no felt recoil, the difference between that and the TX was just a bit of an eye opener. As underdog says, there are some light and cheaper guns to be had but whilst I am not a tackle tart (honest) I do want quality kit which the HW and TX come straight into that sector and I know if I bought a cheap break barrel, I would want to upgrade before long. The other aspect as Jimmy says, these guns will benefit from a tune up job so again the top end kit has been successfully worked on by many people/RFD's to produce a quality outfit.

It is a shame the scope on this gun was crap because I may well have walked away with a very different view although I think a bit of coaching in this dark art would also help somewhat.

A question boys, do you generally fit a mod to these guns when used for hunting.

Phil

Thanks for your comments guys but I think as my only springer experience was my old Meteor which is not even in the league of TX or HW rifles. I could see from the start, the TX was a serious gun and if I am being honest, I would like to own one as I certainly have the time to practice as a retired old tart and it would be a challenge to master the dark art of springers.

I guess my HW100 is so smooth with no felt recoil, the difference between that and the TX was just a bit of an eye opener. As underdog says, there are some light and cheaper guns to be had but whilst I am not a tackle tart (honest) I do want quality kit which the HW and TX come straight into that sector and I know if I bought a cheap break barrel, I would want to upgrade before long. The other aspect as Jimmy says, these guns will benefit from a tune up job so again the top end kit has been successfully worked on by many people/RFD's to produce a quality outfit.

It is a shame the scope on this gun was crap because I may well have walked away with a very different view although I think a bit of coaching in this dark art would also help somewhat.

A question boys, do you generally fit a mod to these guns when used for hunting.

Phil

Right hears some thing to ponder over

a bit of coaching

Im off back to Simon's in a few weeks to drop off his hw77 stock why don't you come over to his im sure he would not mind and you could have the best spring rifle man show you how its done

He really is amazing to watch

You all ready live in lincs and if you have no transport ill pick you up and drop you back when the day is done

have a word with Simon and see what he say,s before buying any thing

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 4

If you like the TX but you're on a budget, it might be worth looking at a Bam b40. It's basically a Chinese TX clone.

I haven't heard anything about them for a while but, I seem to remember reading good reviews. I think I also read somewhere that parts are interchangeable with Air Arms parts.

Ooooh this is getting interesting.

I am up for that Jimmy if Simon is okay with it, a great opportunity to meet you both, I am however off to Suffolk on the 14th for a week, fishing, clay shooting and air rifle shooting.

The RFD that I was in today has two TX200 in stock both second hand at around £250 each although I am sure it said more than that o the ticket.........must check it out.

No problems with a car, I am still very much on the road mate.

Thanks Jimmy for a cracking idea.

Phil

Delighted to help out Philpot it'll be lovely to meet you with my dear pal here.

I'll get you sorted out with springer shooting Phil mate don't worry. :thumbs:

Generally, a moderator or silencer is a bit of a waste of time and money for most 12-ft/lb spring rifles. TX200 in .22 is very refined and smooth with not a lot of report at the muzzle. I have a silencer fitted to my HW80 FAC .22 which has reduced some of the crack this rifle can whack out and, it helps to balance against muzzle flip as she is a heavy recoilng rifle. But that's about it really. You don't need to fit one as a rule, unlike a PCP that needs to have one.

Best regards

Simon

• Like 1

sounds like your in for a good day philpot

I've a tx-hc and its ace, the only reason the 100 makes it out so much is because i struggle on a night reloading it..... bit fiddly in the cold n dark!

you'll be out in the garden plinking all summer

atb si

Well Simon and Jimmy, it looks like we have a plan. Thanks to you both, just hope your trip Jimmy doesn't fall when I am away.

Not sure if I can get a gun before then, cost of holiday and all that but whatever, I am really looking forward to this one chaps.

I am now going to settle down and read your pinned post Simon.

Phil