• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet

Walshie, next time you want a new rifle just go buy the fecking thing and don't mention it on here ffs

I have the 527 in .17 Hornet. It has a 24" 'varmint' barrel. It is nothing like a real varmint barrel though. I once owned a Tikka T3 Varmint. It had a Jet-Z CQB sat on the end as well!!   I don't

Posted Images

Not trying to sound stupid but in my reloading book there are recipes for the hornet and the k hornet

Whats the difference?

One is a very good standard rifle, the other an experiment in messing with something that would have been best left alone, for a start k hornet has to have cases formed for it and as far as I am aware no factory ammo exists for it, all that messing around for what? another 200fps at best.

• Like 1

Just put .22 hornet mate, k hornets are like hens teeth anyway, and totally not worth considering, they really were the result of a man with too much time on his hands, if you require more than a hornet, get a .222 you will be more than happy with a hornet pal, but if you dont already, learn to reload, it is almost a must with the hornet.

• Like 1

Brass life is improved in the K. Forming brss is easy, you just fire a standard hornet in the K chamber.

Whilst the gain is low in some opinions, to others it is a boon.

Accuracy can be improved to via the lack of long taper on the case.

U.

Well I'm the same as a few others on here I already have a 223 which I reload for so the standard hornet sounds ok its the cheapness of reloading for it that is attracting me to it aswell as reports of tackdrivers lol

To be honest I've been thinking of getting one for a while

Wonder how long the variation will take this time....

The biggest issue with the K Hornet is you need to be careful if going down that route with what you buy / load. My understanding is the case diameter / chamber diameter of original guns is different to today's Hornet. Safest way to get a K Hornet therefore is to get a gunsmith to bore you one out. Putting modern ammo into an old hornet barrel can be an issue due to differences in brass thickness and bullet diameter. To bore one, it only needs a small chamber alteration.

Now problem 2, the loads. Again, due to differing sizes, powders and the fact that todays cases are much thicker brass, you will find that many older loads will give dangerously high pressures - breach / barrel exploding over pressures. So my understanding is you need to find a modern load and start very low on powder and work your way up. If you have the time and inclination it may be worth your while if you intend to reload for the standard hornet anyway (the K chamber will fire both). However, as Charlie says, you gain around 200-300fps on average.

Unfortunately no comparison video I could find with standard Hornet, but this is K Hornet vs PET bottles:

Edited by Alsone

Just put .22 hornet mate, k hornets are like hens teeth anyway, and totally not worth considering, they really were the result of a man with too much time on his hands, if you require more than a hornet, get a .222 you will be more than happy with a hornet pal, but if you dont already, learn to reload, it is almost a must with the hornet.

I'd say in the REAL world that sums it up completely!

• Like 3

The biggest issue with the K Hornet is you need to be careful if going down that route with what you buy / load. My understanding is the case diameter / chamber diameter of original guns is different to today's Hornet. Safest way to get a K Hornet therefore is to get a gunsmith to bore you one out. Putting modern ammo into an old hornet barrel can be an issue due to differences in brass thickness and bullet diameter. To bore one, it only needs a small chamber alteration.

Now problem 2, the loads. Again, due to differing sizes, powders and the fact that todays cases are much thicker brass, you will find that many older loads will give dangerously high pressures - breach / barrel exploding over pressures. So my understanding is you need to find a modern load and start very low on powder and work your way up. If you have the time and inclination it may be worth your while if you intend to reload for the standard hornet anyway (the K chamber will fire both). However, as Charlie says, you gain around 200-300fps on average.

Unfortunately no comparison video I could find with standard Hornet, but this is K Hornet vs PET bottles:

Lol, that is so funny. :-)

No not sarcasm but I do think it is utter rubbish sorry.

Six hornet's have passed through my hands. Some old some new.

Zero issues with chambers and bores.

.224" down .223" barrels no problem.

I don't believe everything I read on the net but I will stick to my experience of six rifles in hornet with my reloads and factory ammo ta.

U.

I don't believe everything I read on the net but I will stick to my experience of six rifles in hornet with my reloads and factory ammo ta.

U.

But you don't know as much as someone who's had 7 hornets do you? :D

U.

But you don't know as much as someone who's had 7 hornets do you? :D

Or somebody with no hornets or no FAC but who has google ;)