Did I at any point mention deer at 300 yards? I think not! Well all I can say is the legendary pro stalker Jok Black said the .243 was his favourite round for reds ever, a 6.5 has only a bit more energy than a .243 with some bullets, and less with others, and as for that legendary trajectory, yes I agree it will hold its rainbow/mortar like ark very well :tongue2:

100 grain .243 has the same energy at 200yds as a 130 grain 6.5x55SE (both circa 1,500 ft lbs)! The .243 also has 400fps more velocity. So absolutely no ballistic reason why .243 wouldn't kill as well as a 6.5x55SE at 200yds, in fact on some deer forums, some people actually suggest .243 kills better than 6.5. So it appears opinion varies. I'm, guessing given the ballistics, any difference therefore is probably a matter of perception / preference.

6.5x55SE is noted for it's inherent accuracy and has long been a favourite with target shooters. However, there are examples of .243 being used to hit targets (non animate) at over 1,000yds, and .243 has marginally less drop, so I'd suggest any small difference in accuracy is probably not going to make any difference on a boiler room target area the size of that found on a large deer.

So unless you want to shoot very heavy rounds at distances beyond which you should sensibly shoot live game, any difference between the two is more likely down to preference, felt recoil, noise, cost etc rather than terminal performance which if anything is in .243's favour given the velocity, at least with bullets under 150 grains.

Edited by Alsone
  • Like 1

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet

Walshie, next time you want a new rifle just go buy the fecking thing and don't mention it on here ffs

I have the 527 in .17 Hornet. It has a 24" 'varmint' barrel. It is nothing like a real varmint barrel though. I once owned a Tikka T3 Varmint. It had a Jet-Z CQB sat on the end as well!!   I don't

Posted Images

Well I did say it was my opinion, I stick by it, that 6.5 turnip has killed a lot of deer and does all I need,

Motor cars kill a lot of deer every year but i wouldn't buy one with killing deer in mind! :tongue2:

• Like 1

Well I did say it was my opinion, I stick by it, that 6.5 turnip has killed a lot of deer and does all I need,

Motor cars kill a lot of deer every year but i wouldn't buy one with killing deer in mind! :tongue2:

so do wagons, wire fences,and hay cutters, funny enough I wouldn't buy one of them for the job either,

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet and back then we shot everything from rabbits to deer .When that was shot out I was given a .222 and same thing .Things have changed legally I know but why the fixation with fancy calibres that push limits out to wounding range .More money than sence it seems ,the same people who have an excuse book as long as your arm when the new fangled rig doesn't perform .I now have .22 ,.222 and .243 .Would I own a hornet ,yes ,would I use it probably not .

• Like 7

Read this thread from front to back and what a load of shit some talk .By stacking your cabinet full of rifles you are creating unnecessary drama .As a young keeper ,the estate rifle was a .22 hornet and back then we shot everything from rabbits to deer .When that was shot out I was given a .222 and same thing .Things have changed legally I know but why the fixation with fancy calibres that push limits out to wounding range .More money than sence it seems ,the same people who have an excuse book as long as your arm when the new fangled rig doesn't perform .I now have .22 ,.222 and .243 .Would I own a hornet ,yes ,would I use it probably not .

Perfect.

U.

I'll be picking a 22 Hornet up next week. Should be a handy little rifle for the smaller fields and on the golf club :)

Elliot, hornets are "so very last month" now, we have moved on to 6.5 x 55 v 25/06, do try to keep up! ;)

hornet did everything i ever asked of it for years "constant carry "

• Like 1

I'll be picking a 22 Hornet up next week. Should be a handy little rifle for the smaller fields and on the golf club :)

Elliot, hornets are "so very last month" now, we have moved on to 6.5 x 55 v 25/06, do try to keep up! ;)

Of course Ian, sorry I shouldn't have chirped in :D