Full Metal Jacket Ammo For Fox

Hi all I have bought a load of fmj ppu .22-250 ammo and it's amazingly accurate in my rifle. My question is can I use these for fox?

I normally use Hornady superformance vmax to great effect but these rounds have cost me £5 a box. I've got 300 of them in the safe and wandered if I can use them for hunting purposes. They are 55g FMJ boat tail round. Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Dan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have read too many comics, the 5.56 was never designed to wound, it was designed to stop whoever it hit. Actually it was designed as a cost saving measure with the bi product you could also carry

In a word NO, I am sure you can only shoot ANY live quarry with expanding ammunition and FMJ ammunition is for the purpose of range use only.

+1 for Walshie. Likely to get little energy transference without expansion / fragmentation. Only way it's likely to kill is through either a direct or indirect (bone fragment) hit on an artery or the

There's no legal requirement for expanding ammo on any quarry except deer as far as I know. Before the advent of expanding ammo, FMJ is what everyone used.

That's the legal side of it. The practical side of it is it's not ideal, no. As you know a fox is especially lean with a lack of body mass so FMJ is likely to just drill a hole through it and leave it a lingering death.

There's no legal requirement for expanding ammo on any quarry except deer as far as I know. Before the advent of expanding ammo, FMJ is what everyone used.

That's the legal side of it. The practical side of it is it's not ideal, no. As you know a fox is especially lean with a lack of body mass so FMJ is likely to just drill a hole through it and leave it a lingering death.

Just checked my certificate Walshie, it states on mine expanding ammunition??? different forces different rules??? why would it state expanding ammunition if you can you both???

Just checked my certificate Walshie, it states on mine expanding ammunition??? different forces different rules??? why would it state expanding ammunition if you can you both???

I think it means you can only use the expanding ammo on animals, rather than targets. Not the other way round.

+1 for Walshie. Likely to get little energy transference without expansion / fragmentation. Only way it's likely to kill is through either a direct or indirect (bone fragment) hit on an artery or the heart, in which case bleed out time to unconsciousness can be anything from maybe 10 secs for something like the carotid to minutes or hours depending on what is hit.

• Like 2

I dare say a shot to the brain with a FMJ round is almost certainly going to kill it. As for anywhere else on the body, it becomes less likely for a clean kill. However, a good destructive heart shot is likely to have the same effect. The massive hydrostatic shock caused by expanding rounds, particularly ballistic tips, is what we've all become used to.

The 5.56 NATO round is renowned as a "bone breaker" but not as an instantly fatal round and it's a .22 centrefire, like the .22-250.

Deer are the only animals in the UK that expanding ammunition must be used on. Basically, they banned it following the reaction to Hungerford but then realised that previous legislation mandated its use on Deer, so the only exemption to possession of expanding ammunition is for Deer and vermin control, however Deer is still the only animal it must be used on, vermin are legally fair game with non-expanding ammunition. Many hundreds of thousands of Rabbits will have been shot over the years with a solid .22LR slug.

The 5.56 NATO round is renowned as a "bone breaker" but not as an instantly fatal round and it's a .22 centrefire, like the .22-250.

The 5.56 is designed to wound not kill. For the simple reason if you wound someone, you take another person out of the battle. compared to 7.62 where you kill them and wind the rest of them up

The 5.56 is designed to wound not kill. For the simple reason if you wound someone, you take another person out of the battle. compared to 7.62 where you kill them and wind the rest of them up

You have read too many comics, the 5.56 was never designed to wound, it was designed to stop whoever it hit. Actually it was designed as a cost saving measure with the bi product you could also carry more ammo, cartridge pressure was also increased virtually immediately upon introduction as it was shown to be less effective and less popular than the 7.62.

The fact it was not as effective as the 7.62 (which it generally replaced) somehow lead to this daft suggestion about wounding!

When someone is stood in front of you trying to shoot/kill you, the last thing you want in your hand is something that was designed to wound them, you want them stopped, and the only effective way to do that is kill them!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 4

In a word NO, I am sure you can only shoot ANY live quarry with expanding ammunition and FMJ ammunition is for the purpose of range use only. :thumbs:

In a word YES.

Your region may have conditioned your rifle with an odd condition, but as walshie has said, you can shoot live quarry with anything you like (exceptions for deer).

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Hi all I have bought a load of fmj ppu .22-250 ammo and it's amazingly accurate in my rifle. My question is can I use these for fox?

I normally use Hornady superformance vmax to great effect but these rounds have cost me £5 a box. I've got 300 of them in the safe and wandered if I can use them for hunting purposes. They are 55g FMJ boat tail round. Thanks in advance

Kind regards

Dan

YES.

Many would suggest there may be better types, but put in the right place these will certainly do the job!

:thumbs:

+1 for Walshie. Likely to get little energy transference without expansion / fragmentation. Only way it's likely to kill is through either a direct or indirect (bone fragment) hit on an artery or the heart, in which case bleed out time to unconsciousness can be anything from maybe 10 secs for something like the carotid to minutes or hours depending on what is hit.

Good grief Alsone, it's a 22-250 V a fox, how much energy transfer do you need!

We are not talking about a little .177air rifle, this is a 22-250FMJ with circa 1500-1600 ft lb, where do you get this nonsense from? I stop foxes very effectively and very regularly with a .22lr sub at less than 100ft lb!

I am not suggesting the 22-250 FMJ would be my first choice as a fox round, but if you can't stop a fox VERY EFFECTIVELY with it you need to take up knitting instead of shooting!

• Like 2

Good grief Alsone, it's a 22-250 V a fox, how much energy transfer do you need!

We are not talking about a little .177air rifle, this is a 22-250FMJ with circa 1500-1600 ft lb, where do you get this nonsense from? I stop foxes very effectively and very regularly with a .22lr sub at less than 100ft lb!

I am not suggesting the 22-250 FMJ would be my first choice as a fox round, but if you can't stop a fox VERY EFFECTIVELY with it you need to take up knitting instead of shooting!

Got to agree.

Is sewing OK lol.

• Like 1