Using Bait For Foxes

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

trick i used to use years ago was to get a battery analogue travel clock one of the small ones, take the battery cover off and tie some fishing line to the battery on the other end of the fishing line

Sat around my sons pens at release time last year and he tipped deer guts out in open areas to draw them. It worked a treat. I shot 14 over the week I was there. We've also shot them over fallen stock

Bloody hell you learn something everyday lol good idea mate thats something I'll definitely have to try Me and my mate went out tonight and set up a bit of a baiting station with a few dead lambs wit

Sat around my sons pens at release time last year and he tipped deer guts out in open areas to draw them. It worked a treat. I shot 14 over the week I was there. We've also shot them over fallen stock, sheep, in the past.

Andy

PS he put the bait out a couple of days before I arrived

PPS. I have the advantage of a thermal imager for spotting and a dedicated nv scope. You'd probably be okay with a lamp if you don't mind long shots, and you can range find everything in daylight and make a mental note of ranges to various points.

Andy

Edited by foxyfowler
  • Like 1

It will work, but as Foxy says, it may take a few days to attract the foxes attention. The downside is that you'll have to be there until it does. It is sods law that the fox will turn up when you're not there and because it is only a lamb the fox will most probably drag the carcass away rather than feed on it there. Also, in my experience it helps by splitting the lamb so that plenty of scent gets out for the fox to smell. :thumbs:

get a steel spike and some road kill as much as you can and make a big kebab :thumbs: foxes are quite active this time of year so you will have to spend some time waiting . had some taking chickens at 2.30 in the afternoon last week

Edited by CHEVINFOX

i used to shoot them regular to bait for a keeper mostly over the winter though ! i used to get an empty dog food bag and fill it with deer guts and anything else i could get and put a wire cable through it and freeze it then wrap it in a deer skin and stake it down ,it would last a week + sometimes ! ,very effective during the winter ,ive also shot them in the past to sheep carcasses when it ok to leave fallen stock

trick i used to use years ago was to get a battery analogue travel clock one of the small ones, take the battery cover off and tie some fishing line to the battery on the other end of the fishing line tie a dead chicken, place out where you are baiting and wait until the chickens been taken, the battery will have been pulled out and the clock stopped, now you know what time charlie comes around and as we know charlie is a very consistent time keeper, ive shot loads of problem foxes this way

• Like 5

Bloody hell you learn something everyday lol good idea mate thats something I'll definitely have to try

Me and my mate went out tonight and set up a bit of a baiting station with a few dead lambs with a rod hammered into the ground slit them open aswell

I'll keep you posted on our progress might try first light or saterday night

• Like 1

Just got back for a coffee and nailed 4 so far. Going back out at midnight to hopefully bag a few more. My brother's lamping them but got the nitesite in the boot for when I go to a perm where the foxes are lamp shy. I don't use the night vision unless absolutely necessary as I think lamping is much easier

trick i used to use years ago was to get a battery analogue travel clock one of the small ones, take the battery cover off and tie some fishing line to the battery on the other end of the fishing line tie a dead chicken, place out where you are baiting and wait until the chickens been taken, the battery will have been pulled out and the clock stopped, now you know what time charlie comes around and as we know charlie is a very consistent time keeper, ive shot loads of problem foxes this way

Never had the need to try this but I've heard it. :thumbs:

Whatever, the trick is to potentially train the fox with bits of bait and then nail him as appropriate.

:thumbs:

Think I'll leave it tonight and wait there as it gets light in the morning, farmers been seeing it at 6.30 in the morning

Bet there will be loads of magpies all over the bait which will be tempting lol