Boxing At The Weekend...

4 hours ago, Billy b said:

Tyson an aj aren't in the league of the old heavies and no onrd trying to compare them too them 

but aj is not the better boxer, aj has never feinted or gave anyone different angles in he's whole career, he's amateur pedigree is nowhere near tysons and he doesn't know he's way around the ring as well as tyson either, he's not a switch hitter and he keeps he's head in the one place all the time with not much lateral movement

when it comes to boxing Tyson is leagues above aj 

The comparison can't be made every era the same seen as better thirty years down the line, when Ali was in his prime people harked further  back in history too compare him against , 

Today's fighters are prepared on a whole different level physically and mentally , well most are and it's pretty evident who is and who isn't , 

I agree Tyson is a very good boxer but let s not forget the 'mental health' issues?  Surely after being blighted all his life this hasn't suddenly gone away ?and all is suddenly  well? Don't happen like that to be fair 

Better amatuer record than AJ seriously ? I've not looked at it , but I don't remember him at the Olympics but I could be wrong , I'd have too look

Both fighters are flawed , that's the reality of it neither has been pushed too far , AJ maybe further than Tyson , but whose too say Wlad didn't fire in all cylinders that night in Germany ? He only really came to life in the last round when he knew he could be behind and relying on the judges ? He certainly looked sharper n more focused and performed better in AJ fight , but results stand and it is what it is , but as I've said before getting the title is one trick holding it is another completely , claiming your great is daft it's when others tell you your great that counts is it not ? 

All I know is I know where my money is at, think big AJ will wipe the floor with Tyson ,  that's no fanboy chat , it's just what I see happening, if it goes the other way I'd be very surprised indeed , the lay off will be the real killer , plus the weight cutting , mental health , avoiding cocaine, keeping the idiots away being in my honest opinion the hardest of all , 

Deffo think Saunders got it right going too ingle gym looks fitter n fresher more focused altogether , done a very good job on Munroe whom I took too beat him cos he looked like a bag of shat but quick change of scene and he looking on point ,  think leameaux perfect opponent too and him into the new year 

Who ya fancy for lomenchenko v rigondueax , now that should be some scrap that eh? 

What wax your take on GGG v Canelo ? 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

Agree mick, good post, and tyson would be in top shape at the wincobank with bill, the ingles know their stuff 

Agree about the comparison thing arctic ? No Tyson never boxed at the Olympics, but I'm talking of general am record Tyson was a very good amateur, some good wins, both fighters won some good things in the ams, aj had slightly more fights I think but for me Tyson was the better boxer even back then 

aj is more than capable of knocking Tyson out but to do It He could do with setting some traps for Tyson and trying to walk him onto a shot, this is where aj's boxing is shallow, bulldozing doesn't always work in the pro ring , Tyson is very good at making opponents walk onto shots , he done this with chisora and hammer, not the greatest level men I know, but particularly in the hammer fight Tysons boxing was brilliant ? I think Tyson will be elusive enough to use a lot of aj's own energy against him and make him reluctant to throw by firing in sneaky little shots that will disrupt he's rhythm 

so many opinions, no ones right or wrong, it's a case of waiting and seeing ?

Personally I can't wait for Lomachenko vs rigondeaux, two fantastic technical boxers who know there job inside out. Rigondeaux can be frustrating at times as he does have power to stop people and he has in the past but he is very happy to just "coast" it it seems.. he is another defensive wizard, and deceptive too, he likes opponents to think he is in there shot range, and counter them , simply put he is an all round master but tbh he just isn't a draw and let's himself down by his lack of spite at times. I love pure boxing , but there's been times rigo couldlve earned stoppage wins but he hasn't taken them! Billy graham says the same thing as well , plus he fought on a card in Ireland I Think (not ? sure) just remember the ring had yellow ropes lol , and he had a chance to show an Audience who'd not seen him before what he can do but he gave a very underwhelming performance tbh . He is a slick defensive genius with a very long reach but I'd just like to see him be more offensive ! As for lomachenko, not seen no one like him in years! For me when you think of a "complete" boxer he is what fits that category 

his use of the ring, his angles, his timing, his accuracy, his footwork , his punch variety is unbelievable ? As is his defense . Much like ggg Loma is always on balance to throw the next shot and in my opinion he has that little bit more to himself to beat rigondeaux, I think rigondeaux is quality and a top top level boxer, but for me Lomachenko is that bit better and he will be the winner ?

Simply put, ggg was the rightful winner of their fight. Canelo landed the cleaner shots, and done a good job of countering off the back foot, but the more meaningful work was landed by golovkin imo and Adelaide Byrd scorecard from the fight is unbelievable the woman is a proper backward ?

Ggg just wasn't phased by anything canelo had to offer and was on him all night long, pressing the fight & landing more shots & that's what I say about that, gggs fight for me . Canelo is a very good boxer but I think deep down he knows he lost that fight 

but that's boxing, when it comes to decisions you gotta take the rough with the smooth 

• Like 1

Good post buddy, cant wint for lomo v Rigo as you say its got so much potential cant see it failing too thrill, I'm leaning towards Rigo on experience but then again lomenchenko is very hard to hit  and avod being hit by, great style real one off, cant come soon enough,, few other fghts same night I think on uk channels degale Selby etc iirc

Thanks mate. Yeah rigondeaux has a lot on experience but for me Lomachenko is the better man and on his way to becoming an atg. 

Yea DeGale & Selby are out on the same night, DeGale is fighting Truax, who has mixed it, and lost, to both Anthony Dirrell and Daniel Jacobs, he gave a very good account of heself in the Jacobs fight though, but imo after the jack fights Truax is a bit of a backward step for DeGale 

Selby is boxin Eduardo Ramirez who is trained by former selby opponent fernando montiels bruva,  he's a southpaw , fast hands and a decent defence and is undefeated but selby should deal with him comfortably, he's still after that frampton fight 

i think Joshua vs Parker is on aswell lads ? Look for that announcement officially in the next few days/weeks 

Think the date is looking to be march the 24th or the 31st and at the o2 arena 

Parker will have he's moments vs Joshua, he'll make him work a bit, will use he's movement to try & take the fight into his territory, but in the end AJ is going to get to him and ko him ?

Well done to Parker and duco promotions for finally agreeing, wasn't going to make this sort of money elswhere, Parker will give it a good go, but he is going to get stopped here 

Hearn wants Joshua out 3 times I think next year , hopefully one is wilder! Lou diBella & wilder are game for the fight, they never fought when they was 2 wet behind the ears heavies coming up in the game , now they are both belt holders and a bit more experienced it's the perfect time for them to be looking to box each other imo ?

Pleased Joshua v Parker being made, am very surprised Wilders people aint tried to get in their first mind, would of given him a little more leverage when it came to his own share of the purse when they meet up eventually, I was sort of hoping they would take AJ too America early this next year to fight Jarrell Miller, or maybe fought Pulev , would like too see AJ in with ne of the bigger lads,  however he cant turn down chances  to gain more titles, think Parker will be a fairly straight forward fight, he will use movement but he aint got the power or range to bother Aj too much, think he will get tipped fairly easily, don't see it going too points,

Regarding Furys victory over Wlad, it weren't a fight for the fans so too speak, AJ v Wlad was what the fans love and pray for, don't even think it was a boxing purists favourite sort of fight, (heavyweight fights rarely are) but I, think it was a coaches dream fight, planned out perfectly how to beat a well established major force who has dealt with all types over decade plus of defences, and they worked out how to beat him and it went like a dream cos they won, it weren't pretty,, but that's boxing, its winning that counts,  its not really about what the fans want but what the fighters are prepared to put on the line to get the result. It was a great victory, and speaks for itself, but again wining the title one thing ,defending it another, one makes you good the other makes you great

Either way I really think for once we the public will get too see the fights we wanting to and sooner rather than later, so AJ v Fury will happen, unless either man gets badly beaten in meantime

Both fought Kevin Johnson that is likely the only fight they could be compared on imho, mind Johnson was well shot before either of em set gloves on him, AJ v Chisora was one fght Hearn really missed with AJ imho would of been a good bench marker, Del boy rarely gies anyone an easy nghts work even when he not really into it

Whyte would be a far better opponent for Fury than Bellew, think Bellew is mad for facing Fury, but hell most said he would get plastered by Haye and that never happened, if bellew thinks fury a gas bag he may just go for it, and Id not really be that surprised if he pulled it off I honestly wouldn't, Furys first fight back is going to be a massive tell imho, there's getting into shape, but he is mentally very fragile (unless he is a liar) and meatally weak people struggle with pressure and it will be a demanding schedule loosing the weight dealing with all the things he last blamed for his mental health and drug use, where s AJ is continuing nicely along focused, I'm still convinced I'm backing the right horse, but who knows they big men hard punchers and it could go wrong for either at anytime lol

First of all what an account mike Stafford gave of heself last night ? Not been v active lately & gave Watkins a lot of stick last night. Personally I don't rate Watkins at all, very crude fighter & not much grace about him, fairplay for the win though. 

Yea hughes's story is some story boys? Good performance from him, and yigit also boxed clever in a nice measured performance but I think josh Taylor will beat him all about the ring tell you the truth. Shrewd business from yigit an he's team aswel he's got the uk and channel 5 on him now & threatening to move down in weight so if Barry wants to get the Taylor fight they'll need to get there luvver out! ?

Re AJ vs Joe Parker, Joe will do alright for a time but we all know he don't have enough to himself to keep AJ honest an he will get stopped, for Parker he's basically selling he's belt, this is a business transaction

Agree about Fury-Wlad fight for a trainer to see he's gameplan play out like that is one hell of a do? Not the type of fight everyone likes but in its own right, it was a very very clever bout. 

Whyte was never a world beater but he looks less n less of the man he was when he first burst onto the scene imo, cracking performance in Chisora fight but since then Whyte ain't been much cop really, another opponent Tyson could comfortably out box

yea  fighting Parker before Wilder gives Hearn and AJ more bargaining power for the Wilder fight. 

I was surprised Sadam Ali beat Miguel Cotto last night tbh, was Cotto's retirement fight but for me Ali was tailor made for Cotto but Ali got the upset so fairplay ? Not the first time he's upset the odds though, a few yr back he beat a mush called Luis Abregu who was the heavy favourite, by stoppage aswell. 

Rey Vargas retained he's WBC title last night vs Oscar negrete, made it a bit hard for himself at times & was cut above his 2 eyes but during the later rounds of the fight he got back to his boxing 

Oscar Valdez defends he's WBO belt in march. Coming off a hard fight which he won last , this will be he's 4th defence of the belt , good record he's got 23-0 

Yeah Hughes can hold his head high, odds stacking against him since birth & hes made it EBU Title level when folk told him he'd never win a fight! 

Chantelle Cameron looks the business doesn't she, think she'll cause a lot of probs in women's boxing ?

Yea bad do for McGuigan, same sort of do with Yigit as it's been for Parker-AJ really, both know their chances in the fight are limited & both want to do all they can to get the best deal 

don't think Cyclone do business aswell as they can at times anyway , they seem to rub people up the wrong way,  yea I doubt Josh Taylor will be with Cyclone for years an years tbh 

yeah Yigit will get slapped about by Taylor 

Surprise Surprise lads,Ortiz has now been okd to fight again as his failed drug test was not a failed drug test as such,it was what he said it was heart medication for blood pressure but still incurred a 25.000 dollar fine.That's another mandatory fight Wilders got out of again,hopefully he gets reinstated as no1 challenger and does not suffer the fate of Povetkin who is now apparently a couple of years away from a title shot against Wilder despite his failed tests also being bogus.Anybody else notice a pattern here ??? Joshua needs to be double careful if he ever does get the fight with Wilder and if its not in Britain he needs to drink/eat from sealed containers.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, MickC said:

Surprise Surprise lads,Ortiz has now been okd to fight again as his failed drug test was not a failed drug test as such,it was what he said it was heart medication for blood pressure but still incurred a 25.000 dollar fine.That's another mandatory fight Wilders got out of again,hopefully he gets reinstated as no1 challenger and does not suffer the fate of Povetkin who is now apparently a couple of years away from a title shot against Wilder despite his failed tests also being bogus.Anybody else notice a pattern here ??? Joshua needs to be double careful if he ever does get the fight with Wilder and if its not in Britain he needs to drink/eat from sealed containers.

if it came off next year , and AJ did fight Wilder , do you think   AJ he beat him mick ?    i not so sure !

1 hour ago, MickC said:

I’ve said the same thing about this . Every time wilder is forced to fight a live opponent this seems to happen to them and the fight quietly goes away . If I was in to conspiracy’s  I’d say someone with a lot of power in the game is protecting him  for some reason , maybe because they are making money off him or maybe just to keep an American heavyweight champion , who knows but this doesn’t seem to happen with other fighters   . If that’s not the case then he must be the most unlucky bloke in boxing but why is it always the ones that will hit him back that this happens to . He’s had 39 fights and hasn’t shown any inclination to fight a proper opponent and is basically just holding the belt hostage 

Edited by neil r
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 1

Bird

Don't get me wrong both of them are capable of knocking the other one out with the first punch of the fight.I honestly believe that it will have a lot to do with which one of them can control the distance in the fight and also the pace of the fight imo. Wilder has a bit of movement and has legit ko power but needs to be at distance as he needs to windmill his shots to generate power,Joshua on the other hand likes to be in close using his strength and up close the power in his shots is serious. Joshua did gas against Wlad but Wilders resume is so poor he has never been in a situation like that yet in his career.Both have been down in there careers,Joshua only once mind and both have been hurt in fights  but still got the win.Both have a punchers chance early or I think Wilders poor resume will get him found out and Joshua will stop him eventually, I cant see the fight going the distance tbh. Ive always said that if Tyson can get back to anything like he was,even though its not a fan friendly style I think Tyson would have an easier fight with Wilder than what Joshua might end up having,then again like I said Wilders resume is so poor he might get found out straight away by Joshua. Giving Wilders history of being able to always dodge his mandatorys and fight lesser hand picked opponents,even if Wilder signed to fight Joshua I would not believe it until they are both in the ring together.

neil r

Wilder is an Al Haymon fighter and who is also the most powerful man in Boxing,and funny enough every fighter that wilder has fought since being gifted the belt has also been an Al Haymon fighter !!! What happened to Povetkin is an absolute disgrace to boxing and something should have been done about it so it can not happen again and he should be reinstated as mandatory and Wilder made to fight him in his next fight,Povetkin has been waiting since 2015 to fight him and still he waits.Probably wilders handlers waiting for him to age as they  know they will never beat Povetkins backers purse bids so the fight will always be in Russia unless Povetkin decides other wise.

articgun

good post but I still fancy Fury to beat Joshua if he can get himself to the level he was at and have at least three fights before facing him. The fight has to happen between these two and if it all goes to plan Joshua stays unbeaten and Furys comeback goes according to plan it could well set up the biggest fight Britain has ever had. A lot of ifs and buts,however if the fight does come off were would they find big enough for the fight to take place at ? Fury v Whyte would be a better fight than Bellew,I think Fury would toy with Bellew.It would be some event .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1