Boxing At The Weekend...

22 hours ago, NEWKID said:

I've got to agree with Mchull that the past 10 years have been marginally better than the previous 10 years...that Klitcscho era seems like a distant bad dream, surely the time between 2004 and 2014 must be the worst in history...

Regards everything else, of course the 70s is head and shoulders above, before my time but I've tried to watch as much of that era as possible .. remember the late 80s and 90s well, and for me that's the best in my lifetime... I don't think any of the current mob would stand with half of the 70s or 90s champions or contenders...

Id say the only era that was possibly worse than todays was the 80's.....beyond Holmes at the start and Tyson at the end it was a terrible decade for heavyweight boxing.....i honestly dont know how the division will ever get back to what it was....what most fans miss about classic heavyweight boxing can now be found in the light heavyweight division that contains genuine stars of the sport with well rounded skills and work rate......the heavyweights at world level will always be the showcase pantomime area of the game but most hardcore boxing folk accept its probably the worst division in boxing for skills and ability etc.

• Like 2

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The THL fight club

Joshua really is just a straight acting kid no frills and tassles he doesnt fall into all the silly stuff that is popular with fighters these days he has the mindset that if he is good enough he will

f****n embarrassing the whole event !....now we're all going to have to listen to these mma divs saying their fighters can hang with pro boxers well played Fury you big melt ! And we're supposed

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Id say the only era that was possibly worse than todays was the 80's.....beyond Holmes at the start and Tyson at the end it was a terrible decade for heavyweight boxing.....i honestly dont know how the division will ever get back to what it was....what most fans miss about classic heavyweight boxing can now be found in the light heavyweight division that contains genuine stars of the sport with well rounded skills and work rate......the heavyweights at world level will always be the showcase pantomime area of the game but most hardcore boxing folk accept its probably the worst division in boxing for skills and ability etc.

I was born in 76 Gnash, so to be honest the first heavyweight that grabbed my attention was Tyson, I was 9 or 10 when he beat Berbick and still remember it vividly, watched with my dad and brother...I probably got a decent run of it from 85/86 and through the 90s...but by god that 10 years of the Klitckos was awful, would send a glass eye to sleep...I seriously can't remember many of the fights, perhaps Haye beating Valuev only for sheer novelty factor really though...

I watch a lot of old fights on you tube..

Bang on about the light heavyweight division, it's full of real quality fighters, with the 2 standout fighters actually putting it on the line knowing a loss is worth the risk as a win sets up legendary status, no chance with any of the current heavies ..

Bertibiev for me in that main event, what's your thoughts?

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I was born in 76 Gnash, so to be honest the first heavyweight that grabbed my attention was Tyson, I was 9 or 10 when he beat Berbick and still remember it vividly, watched with my dad and brother...I probably got a decent run of it from 85/86 and through the 90s...but by god that 10 years of the Klitckos was awful, would send a glass eye to sleep...I seriously can't remember many of the fights, perhaps Haye beating Valuev only for sheer novelty factor really though...

I watch a lot of old fights on you tube..

Bang on about the light heavyweight division, it's full of real quality fighters, with the 2 standout fighters actually putting it on the line knowing a loss is worth the risk as a win sets up legendary status, no chance with any of the current heavies ..

Bertibiev for me in that main event, what's your thoughts?

Fair play mate you dont have the impressionable sentiment type of thing for Tyson a lot of chaps of your generation have ....im a bit older than you so caught the early Holmes career in my impressionable years and much as i admire his qualities he just didnt have the charisma to get all sentimental about.

Regards the light heavies its not just at world level of course even domestically theres great matches being made.

I'm going Bivol mate....its a mouth watering boxer v puncher thing on paper but when you look at them as individuals they both have so much more than that,Beterbiev i think has underrated skills,a good jab and footwork while Bivol although not a finisher has underrated power.....Bivol at times looks defensively superb but Beterbiev doesnt need a lot of space to generate real power....i think the challenge Beterbiev will have is not getting frustrated if Bivols movement and distance make things difficult....if Bivol can execute a near flawless gameplan and stay resolute to it for 12 rounds i favour him to nick a decision...but Beterbiev has fight ending power to the last bell so who knows.....cracking 50/50 fight though mate eh :thumbs:

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3

Bivol for me as well. i think he punch’s a lot harder than people think and with both hands his constant heavy jab is sole destroying think that’s why canelo  went into hay making mode plus I think betrebiev will not like his pace if it goes into the latter stages, but it’s not going to be easy he still carry’s the big leveller, nice to have a real fight to look forward to plus a decent  undercard 

• Like 1