An Old Smk Refurb This Is Going To Be Pic Heavy Lads

Had a spare hour or so before i go back to work so iv put a few more coats on her

i sanded it back this morning

still needs a few more sanding s in between coats

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

post-63400-0-40260200-1460030689.jpg

post-63400-0-54941300-1460030698.jpg

post-63400-0-44085300-1460030706.jpg

post-63400-0-58419200-1460030714.jpg

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A light rub down with the 0 wire wool then wiped off the dust with white spirits another coat of true oil   thats 4 coats now ill give her one more coat let her dry then buffed with rubbing compound

Naa there crap but i would say ok for plinking in the garden Simon if i was 8 or 9yrs old lol   But i think its these old smk,s that have got most of us into the sport in the first place just like t

Are you going to do the table and chairs as well James ?       "Only asking like"

Posted Images

A little bit more work on her and a few more coats but it looks like the dye is not taking in some places

so i may have to strip her back and start again

and stain her this time and do away with the dye

Simon im going to stain yours mate im going to stick to what i know best lol

but im not giving up on this yet

post-63400-0-91330100-1460044249.jpg

post-63400-0-72157100-1460044259.jpg

post-63400-0-51460100-1460044268.jpg

post-63400-0-78630300-1460044286.jpg

post-63400-0-82420300-1460044294.jpg

post-63400-0-14764700-1460044310.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of roundup on them tiles jimmy and that plant is looking a bit shabby

Stain I coming on well though

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I ask,d for that Jonnie

what go,s around comes around lol

• Like 1

looking good!

cant see on pics properly close up (only got mobile phone for internet and no computer so pics are not great) but iv had it where dye didn't take to bits of my stock round the grip on mine where there was still some tough varnish or oil. a sopping wet tea towel and a hot steam iron with plenty of steam and about 10 mins got mine clear. If you do that tho and use a good tea towel bin it afterwards and don't let your wife find out or theres trouble :D

dunno if it will work for you but it did on mine but im an amateur and made it up as i went along!

nice grain on there for an smk!

• Like 1

Looking good Mac :good:

Naaa Mark iv just stripped her back not happy with that dye mate

off to the rfd,s tomorrow for some stain going to do it the way i no

dont like the dye its not taking in some places

but iv done the action spray,d her black so its ready to go in once iv sorted the stock

looking good!

cant see on pics properly close up (only got mobile phone for internet and no computer so pics are not great) but iv had it where dye didn't take to bits of my stock round the grip on mine where there was still some tough varnish or oil. a sopping wet tea towel and a hot steam iron with plenty of steam and about 10 mins got mine clear. If you do that tho and use a good tea towel bin it afterwards and don't let your wife find out or theres trouble :D

dunno if it will work for you but it did on mine but im an amateur and made it up as i went along!

Im just going to stain it Tom i just dont like the dye

im going to get the wall nut stain for it and it dose have a good grain in it Tom

• Like 2

looking good!

Im just going to stain it Tom i just dont like the dye

im going to get the wall nut stain for it and it dose have a good grain in it Tom

Sounds a good idea looking forwards to seeing it!

• Like 1

I had a feeling you'd be unhappy with the dye route. :hmm: That dye colour looks rather nice. I like that colour. :thumbs:

But I can see where it has set-in unevenly. Some areas are matt and others gloss. I can see why you want to scrap dying the wood Jim. I'm fine with whatever you decide mate. Some dyes to be honest are a bit hit or miss on rifle stocks. Some raise the grain fibres of the wood and give it a wet, gritty feel, some like this don't give an even finish.

If possible. I'd like you to bring out the grain figures and give it a nice oil walnut stained finish. A nice, clean finish with an atractive tone and a smooth feel in the hands.

That'll be lovely! :thumbs:

• Like 1

One thing i will say Simon yours will be fine mate its going to be like glass before i put the color on her

so we are going with the wallnut stain then

ill keep her lines and grain

and plenty of oil

• Like 1