• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tripod. a local dog fox with one of his cubs at the earth. he was a cripple and still helped the vixen feed the cubs. along with a cub from the previous year. ive watch these foxes for generations and

I really cannot believe that you didnt know the dog is involved in the up bringing of cubs FD but you dont seem convinced ....as for the dog only being vocal during the rut I can guarentee you he will

great too see hunters respecting what they hunt and ive learnt something from this thread , think we need too be open minded about things , and its true believe what you see and sometimes if that's al

Posted Images

Got to agree with you woods. Vixen will tolerate dog fox for food only, she is very aggressive towards him if he ventures close to her or the cubs

Interesting you say that mate .Of all the dens ive watched over the years ive never seen a dog approach with food or have anything to do with the cubs which lead me to believe the dog plays no part in the rearing of them .This season i am going all out to prove or disprove this with trail cams ive just bought .Finding a litter thats not in mortal danger in these parts is tricky though .
I've got 1 of these FD great bit of kit.i would of liked to have got the next model up.that takes a SIM card and texts you the image it had just captured.be great to use near a fox trap.instead of checking it daily just wait for the text.

http://www.ukwildlifecameras.co.uk/trail_cameras/basic_trail_cameras_starting_from_13299/12mp_hd_ltl_acorn_6210mc_P650.html

• Like 1

Brilliant idea king. I lay up to 3 traps and can be a pain checking, rely on the farmers at times but gone to some and the sheepdogs are sitting inside feeling sorry for themselves lol

These 1s mate. Cracking bit of kit.anytime of the day text comes through with the pic job done.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291699297977&globalID=EBAY-GB

• Like 2

Got to agree with you woods. Vixen will tolerate dog fox for food only, she is very aggressive towards him if he ventures close to her or the cubs

Interesting you say that mate .Of all the dens ive watched over the years ive never seen a dog approach with food or have anything to do with the cubs which lead me to believe the dog plays no part in the rearing of them .This season i am going all out to prove or disprove this with trail cams ive just bought .Finding a litter thats not in mortal danger in these parts is tricky though .

Cmon FD so you are saying the dog doesnt help the vixen rear cubs???

If in life you disgard hearsay ,wives tales and bullshit and only rely on what your eyes or trusted mates have seen then you are some way to living with the truth .Like I said IVE never seen a dog have any involvement in rearing litters despite waiting long hours to shoot vixens when keepering .I kept ferrets for years and never remembered more than one litter a year per Jill .Can't say I ever saw a Jill come back in season either after successfully rearing a litter .They were kept in a court with hob always available.Never heard mates talk of two litters either .I have seen other jills rear another's young even steal kits to rear a mixed age litter but never two litters per Jill .

Most if not all vixens are served more than once when in oestrus mostly by travelling dogs and my argument would be why would any dog stay put to rear what it knows might be another's young .Once saw 4 dog foxes fighting like hell in a field in Gloucester with a Vicky looking on.

Mate of mine called us out to a vixen and cubs under a garden shed, when we got there which was about two hours later she had moved them, my mate had obviously disturbed them. We started to go back to the vehicle when less than 50 yards from the shed one of the terriers showed some interest in a one holer and disappeared, less than a minute a fox bolted from a hole in cover and dropped to my mates gun. Vixen? No dog fox!!

If in life you disgard hearsay ,wives tales and bullshit and only rely on what your eyes or trusted mates have seen then you are some way to living with the truth .Like I said IVE never seen a dog have any involvement in rearing litters despite waiting long hours to shoot vixens when keepering .I kept ferrets for years and never remembered more than one litter a year per Jill .Can't say I ever saw a Jill come back in season either after successfully rearing a litter .They were kept in a court with hob always available.Never heard mates talk of two litters either .I have seen other jills rear another's young even steal kits to rear a mixed age litter but never two litters per Jill .

Most if not all vixens are served more than once when in oestrus mostly by travelling dogs and my argument would be why would any dog stay put to rear what it knows might be another's young .Once saw 4 dog foxes fighting like hell in a field in Gloucester with a Vicky looking on.

Totally agree regarding hearsay and wives tale s but I can guarentee you they do and I really am surprised you didnt know that but every day is a school day

Edited by MIK
  • Like 1

The dog fox cache's food for his mate outside the breeding den. They either bury the food or often leave it in a small depression. I would say that a dog fox really assists the vixen, especially during the first two weeks when the cubs are born and she is tending for them rather than hunting.A dog and vixen can be found together any month of the year, be that in earths or above ground in cover. JMHO.

• Like 2

I have actually seen the dog fox bring a blackbird back to the vixen, she never showed the usual submissiveness behaviour but was very aggressive in her posture, took the bird which the dog fox dropped and retreated back to the earth. Interesting as well as soon as the dog fox dropped the bird he retreated immediately to some considerable distance before he felt secure in stopping and turning around to look at the vixen

• Like 1

I have camped out on the hill many a night as a young keeper waiting for the dog to come in and I can guarentee you all this month there are young keepers freezin their tits off doing the same

• Like 3

Hope to f**k goodie goodie Packham doesn't read this thread and likes your idea, hate the thought of you being big buddies with that t**t lol

ive proved my point , you stick too the screen and keep trying too down grade people , I can actually believe that people think the dog doesn't help its the thl after all ,....

darcy your last comment I agree with , but supporting a mother is helping in rearing , unless you go too work and give your misses f**k all and especially where children involved its all part of surviving

fox dropper did you use too sell meat in a city in somerset ? :D

Go back and read my posts mate I actually agree with you!! The comment about "Packham" was a joke comment intended for "Foxdropper" after his trailcam post. Unlike some he can take criticism and a joke unlike some on here!!!!

• Like 4

Go back and read my posts mate I actually agree with you!! The comment about "Packham" was a joke comment intended for "Foxdropper" after his trailcam post. Unlike some he can take criticism and a joke unlike some on here!!!!

I'm a sensitive person after a can of stella

• Like 2