Italian Greyhounds

Speed wise yes pretty nippy mine will keep up with the lurcher but not the whippet,

Please understand this dog was bought for silly money as a pet for my wife, and I had read all the internet had to say about housetraining and the like so maybe I tried a bit harder with him . But after running dogs for 45+ years I wouldn't have even considered one for a working dog and as I said in my first post it wants to be with me when I go out so as said I let it run with the spaniel, after watching the spaniel it took to wanting to do what the workers were doing , it mainly learned itself so I just trained it a bit to be more biddable,BUT I won't be posting anything more about what this dog can do or not do to be shot down by anyone who hadn't even seen the fkn dog ! I only answered a question, so for me the conversation is over.

If anyone wanted any help with one I would gladly help but it would have to be by p.m.

I wouldn't even worry what people say just give your honest answers and the critics can say what they want. I feel i am being deprived when I read posts like this.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Speaking of tiny. Shame about Ronnie. RIP.

Thanks for your honest answers and insight Samurai. like I said Ive only seen this one in the flesh and it made me curious. This should be the place to come to get answers and have a chat about things

jeemes, I offer a sincere apology if my comments have detracted from your topic. I did write that I have no personal experience of the breed and my comments would be only conjecture or bullshit, it wo

Posted Images

I'm sorry but I can't see an Italian greyhound catching rabbits! Rats and squirrels maybe but I'm not believing rabbits. A healthy Male rabbit would be heavier than your average Italian grey

Whats a rabbit weigh about 3lb? What do Italian greys weigh,under 3lb?I doubt that. Ive had tiny russells catch and kill rabbits. Apart from that why should Samurai lie about it. He didnt actually make any claims about the dog catching rabbits,I asked him a direct question about it.

I'm sorry for being pessimistic towards your idea.. I'm sure that with the right nurture you'd get a decent rabbiting dog mate. hopefully we'll see plenty of pictures of what he/she gets in the future!

BBB

Please read thread.. It was a question for discussion only.So not an idea. Same to east coast, thanks.

Okay, I apologise - In all fairness it's a good question and a good thread! But you have got to question why there aren't any videos of Itallian Greys catching on YouTube. It would be a cool little dog though if you got a good one that catches rabbits like Samuria has!

• Like 1

will start by saying I know less than nothing about these little dogs, but I did see 2 a lady had that could catch rabbit, for anybody up north ,she had a shop in leyburn, so some of you might know the lady in question ,I met her on my permission when ferreting with my sons she lived next to the farm, hers caught rabbits while exerciseing ,but sometimes both were there at the kill, lol,

attachicon.gif 20150104_212350.jpg

not the best pic but this is my Italian greyhound x whippet he's 7 now and has had quite a few bunny's , he is a pet not worker , brilliant in the house but he does get very excitable when people come round , recall is not brilliant but I would have this cross again .

That looks like its eaten quite a few rabbits :laugh:

Might be just the picture though.

No he's fat , on a diet though , honest ☺☺

I'm sorry but I can't see an Italian greyhound catching rabbits! Rats and squirrels maybe but I'm not believing rabbits. A healthy Male rabbit would be heavier than your average Italian grey

Whats a rabbit weigh about 3lb? What do Italian greys weigh,under 3lb?I doubt that. Ive had tiny russells catch and kill rabbits. Apart from that why should Samurai lie about it. He didnt actually make any claims about the dog catching rabbits,I asked him a direct question about it.
I'm sorry for being pessimistic towards your idea.. I'm sure that with the right nurture you'd get a decent rabbiting dog mate. hopefully we'll see plenty of pictures of what he/she gets in the future!

BBB

Please read thread.. It was a question for discussion only.So not an idea. Same to east coast, thanks.
Okay, I apologise - In all fairness it's a good question and a good thread! But you have got to question why there aren't any videos of Itallian Greys catching on YouTube. It would be a cool little dog though if you got a good one that catches rabbits like Samuria has!
unbelieveable lol
  • Like 1

jeemes, I offer a sincere apology if my comments have detracted from your topic. I did write that I have no personal experience of the breed and my comments would be only conjecture or bullshit, it would appear to be the latter. I have found it to be a very interesting topic of the kind that are the very reason that I sometimes dip into THL. In this instance it is Samurai who has came up trumps. I take my hat off to you sir and if any offence has been taken from my words then it was not intentional. I am aware that you did not purchase the I.G. as a hunting dog but it is a fortunate animal to of found itself in those circumstances and have the opportunity use its age old instincts.

I remember when whippets were by no means as common a working dog as they are at present. The general opinion at that time was that anything larger than a rabbit was beyond the capabilities of a whippet. In fact it was stated in a book written by an expert on the breed at the time that a pure whippet could be in very real danger of sustaining damage to itself if it were to come into contact with a hare. Luckily the whippets I ran at the time could not read. I would never condone overmatching a dog ( this is not a guarded dig Samurai, but simply reference to using whippets on game larger than hares. They were game enough but by no means ideal ) but at the same time never underestimate what they can achieve with the right attitude, which seems to be something that I have been guilty of here.

Kind Regards

eastcoast

• Like 2