Harrier Or Foxhound

I'll stick to follow foxhounds l think and won't be trying to tell the hunt that I follow to start introducing any beagle for the reasons being they don't need beagle to help them mark and they have good enough noses to sort their checks out way before the beagle arrives only a fool would run beagles with hounds 1 reason being the beagle would be hunting on behind and when the hounds check the beagles would be pulling them back causing all sorts of problems . The pack I follow I'm sure don't leave their quarry in tight cover. What time did beagle packs start hunting years ago and what we're they used for?

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My small pack.mostly beagles.have a few terriers aswell.only hunting fox.

So you're just making stuff up to make your point?   Things are done very differently in Ireland. It's legal for a start. Maybe that's because we do things differently? Maybe it's legal because we h

It's ridiculous to compare alot of packs. Each pack and each country is a whole world apart. I think you can only judge a pack once you take into account it's country, availability of quarry, resource

Posted Images

I'll stick to follow foxhounds l think and won't be trying to tell the hunt that I follow to start introducing any beagle for the reasons being they don't need beagle to help them mark and they have good enough noses to sort their checks out way before the beagle arrives only a fool would run beagles with hounds 1 reason being the beagle would be hunting on behind and when the hounds check the beagles would be pulling them back causing all sorts of problems . The pack I follow I'm sure don't leave their quarry in tight cover. What time did beagle packs start hunting years ago and what we're they used for?

Look up the oringis of the breed mate.... And by all accounts your famous foxhounds already have beagle in them so no more needs to be added!! Quick google search will give them results. The man that hunts the harrier pack is no fool, he's known and respect as a top huntsman up and down the country! if running a few our our faster beagles with his harriers was more of a hinderance than a help then it wouldn't have happened!! I'm not going to argue because I know from your previous thread I'd be wasting my time!! I'm out and I'll leave you with this screen shot. True or false I can't argue because I wasn't around!!

post-57493-0-51322000-1459360404_thumb.jpg

They didn't keep the beagle pure for long fox digger I'm sure you are right fox digger beagles are better to hunt fox than foxhounds the 6 fell packs just for example must be fools not to run beagles up on the fells with their fell hounds and the successful hunts in Wales must be really stupid not to run the beagles with their hounds because the beagle will get their hounds marking for them and sort checks out even the shooting packs in Wales don't use beagles to flush to guns out of thick cover when you have followed a good pack of foxhounds or harriers a pack of beagles would be in no comparison hunting fox only a fool would tell you any different . I thought the pure beagles were only used for hare the last hundred years there's a few lads keep the beagle around my way and they say their pure beagles amazes me how the beagle has gone from terrier size to small harrier size. I've seen beagles hunting fox on a number of occasions they spend half the day hunting anything that runs really and when they get in full flight nothing tells you that the fox is in trouble he only gets into trouble when he runs to ground and that's not because he's tired he just wants to lie low for a bit or if they need to go to ground it's cause they must be very weak indeed . The beagle for fox is handy for someone who goes out on a Sunday morning with half a dozen have a bit of fun flushing to lurcher or gun or maybe lucky that their behind a fox that drops to ground then home for dinner and the beagle wouldn't have to be fed much either. I can only talk from experience fox digger sorry if this upsets you

They didn't keep the beagle pure for long fox digger I'm sure you are right fox digger beagles are better to hunt fox than foxhounds the 6 fell packs just for example must be fools not to run beagles up on the fells with their fell hounds and the successful hunts in Wales must be really stupid not to run the beagles with their hounds because the beagle will get their hounds marking for them and sort checks out even the shooting packs in Wales don't use beagles to flush to guns out of thick cover when you have followed a good pack of foxhounds or harriers a pack of beagles would be in no comparison hunting fox only a fool would tell you any different . I thought the pure beagles were only used for hare the last hundred years there's a few lads keep the beagle around my way and they say their pure beagles amazes me how the beagle has gone from terrier size to small harrier size. I've seen beagles hunting fox on a number of occasions they spend half the day hunting anything that runs really and when they get in full flight nothing tells you that the fox is in trouble he only gets into trouble when he runs to ground and that's not because he's tired he just wants to lie low for a bit or if they need to go to ground it's cause they must be very weak indeed . The beagle for fox is handy for someone who goes out on a Sunday morning with half a dozen have a bit of fun flushing to lurcher or gun or maybe lucky that their behind a fox that drops to ground then home for dinner and the beagle wouldn't have to be fed much either. I can only talk from experience fox digger sorry if this upsets you

Oh lord!!! It's actually not worth the effort replying! I never knocked either foxhound packs or harrier packs. To me harriers are the better of the two, personal opinion, ive dug for packs of both and got more digging over the harriers. My original post was to let you know that not all beagles hunt squirrels, only as you say "a fool" would make such a stupid generalisation. The pack of harriers i ran with were mainly a young pack and first season hounds, i stated that in the original post if you read it correctly. The beagles done the job that lads draft in fox hounds for, to study them up abit. And it worked. The same pack hunted at the festival the season after and impressed many. The fell packs are bred and finely tuned for what and where they hunt. The men that hunt them i have great respect for. You on the other hand clearly haven't a clue about good beagles...only hunt hares!!!!! Lol. You carry on. I bow to your wisdom!!! go to cork sometime you want to see decent packs of beagles hunting and ask any of the master how they do on squirrels and rabbits!!!

• Like 2

what type foxhound do u keep milken because one thing for sure is not too many of them would stick a long day like that in our country here where it is open with very little cover.... also throw them same foxhounds in with harriers an u could see different story....i guarantee u in the evening they wont be doing much hunting they will be just triying yo stay with the harriers...dont get me wrong there is an odd freak out there thats tough as nails but in my expierence they are like hens teeth..... last season i entered 12 old english bred out of good stuff an finished with 4 at end of season.... all hunted but were not able for the hardship.... some of the 4 could jack next season.... they are hard work but my harriers are very poor to mark so thats why i need a few foxhounds with them

they are mostly welsh foxhounds and a few fell x english im not saying they are the best hounds in the world far from it but for me they get me results that im happy with

• Like 1

Here's a pack of some pure harriers, pure beagles and half crosses of the 2. They are the Wednesday pack in the report below from the hunting festival.

Beagles for foxes? who would have thought.

Sunday....conditions were poor for hunting....wasn't a great day ....bit of a hunt later on

Monday...conditions were bad again but still hounds stuck it well and got results on a day that wasn't favourable

Tuesday....conditions were very bad again...very patchy but hard to judge them in the conditions

Wednesday...conditions were poor in the morning but half way through the day conditions changed for the better and remained good for a week. To be fair this pack could hunt even in bad conditions ......a good number of very good hunting hounds......this pack don't keep the bad uns

Thursday.........conditions very good for hunting.......these 2 packs gave a fair display of how it should be done......best of the week IMO

Friday.............conditions very good for hunting........an example of how bad hounds can be...didn't know their job ..poor hounds couldn't keep a line....this was very hard to watch.......ADVICE: CULL

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

Here's a pack of some pure harriers, pure beagles and half crosses of the 2. They are the Wednesday pack in the report below from the hunting festival.

Beagles for foxes? who would have thought.

Sunday....conditions were poor for hunting....wasn't a great day ....bit of a hunt later on

Monday...conditions were bad again but still hounds stuck it well and got results on a day that wasn't favourable

Tuesday....conditions were very bad again...very patchy but hard to judge them in the conditions

Wednesday...conditions were poor in the morning but half way through the day conditions changed for the better and remained good for a week. To be fair this pack could hunt even in bad conditions ......a good number of very good hunting hounds......this pack don't keep the bad uns

Thursday.........conditions very good for hunting.......these 2 packs gave a fair display of how it should be done......best of the week IMO

Friday.............conditions very good for hunting........an example of how bad hounds can be...didn't know their job ..poor hounds couldn't keep a line....this was very hard to watch.......ADVICE: CULL

Good man Bryan!! They are only fools tho for running a pack mixed like that!!!

Prime example fox digger don't believe all what you read you read what Bryan wrote and went straight on defence of your favourite hound anyway I thought you were bowing out lol . Anyhow how weak are the foxes in Ireland have any of you irish lads been to Wales hunting and how would you class the fox to yours

Read in this month's hounds magazine that Barry todhunter huntsman of the blaencathra fox hounds has started running beagles with his pack he has 4 beagles running in total they hunted Saturday and hunted a 7 mile point 2 beagles were seen 5 miles away when the quarry was brought down there was 1 beagle crag bound on Mungrisdale and the other beagle hasn't since been seen. Although this isn't true fox digger I can very well believe this is what would happen this is another reason why I believe only a fool would run beagles with fox hound or harrier neither would it happen with the hethrope on the lowlands of England or anywhere in Wales unless you have a very poor pack. Things seem to be done differently in Ireland for what I've read here

Prime example fox digger don't believe all what you read you read what Bryan wrote and went straight on defence of your favourite hound anyway I thought you were bowing out lol . Anyhow how weak are the foxes in Ireland have any of you irish lads been to Wales hunting and how would you class the fox to yours

im sure they are similar the bad ones are useless an wont run an the good ones will need alot of good hound work and pressure to be accounted for... i am a believer of it takes a great fox to stay going for over an hour with fierce pressure an voice behind him....i am talking all open country hunting not just dodging around cover....also another thought on the useless fox... u could meet him in december or jan early morning an he could run 2 fields an into ground an everbody giving out that its useless fox an wont run but that particular fox could have giving hounds a run of lifetime a fortnight before an on this particular morning he could be just wrecked after covering miles during night mating an hunting for food

Read in this month's hounds magazine that Barry todhunter huntsman of the blaencathra fox hounds has started running beagles with his pack he has 4 beagles running in total they hunted Saturday and hunted a 7 mile point 2 beagles were seen 5 miles away when the quarry was brought down there was 1 beagle crag bound on Mungrisdale and the other beagle hasn't since been seen. Although this isn't true fox digger I can very well believe this is what would happen this is another reason why I believe only a fool would run beagles with fox hound or harrier neither would it happen with the hethrope on the lowlands of England or anywhere in Wales unless you have a very poor pack. Things seem to be done differently in Ireland for what I've read here

So you're just making stuff up to make your point?

Things are done very differently in Ireland. It's legal for a start. Maybe that's because we do things differently? Maybe it's legal because we have very poor packs?

Foot packs are the most popular, the IMFHA reckon there's over 80 packs of hounds hunting in one county alone. You couldn't imagine how differently things are done in Ireland. Look how the guys in the clip above are dressed,it's a long established, registered and respected pack but they're dressed just like normal people, not like the Heythrop or Blencartha (and I've hunted with both those packs) where despite getting references and introductions I'd never feel or be made as welcome as I would with the pack above.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 4

no beagles in that outfit all harriers or 1st cross harrier beagle.... serious hounds when on but could literally hunt anything an have seen them do so

That's not right, they often run full beagles from the RFB ( they get through the tight covers a little quicker) and they'll run some foxhounds too from United, to hold hounds at a mark.