Bad News Nicky Blackwell.

The situation with the kid Blackwell is a terrible shame and i wish him all the strength in the world in making a complete recovery....but its one of those situations where you could point fingers of blame or just accept its a dangerous sport and these things happen from time to time.....personally i think Blackwells trainer needs to have a long hard look at himself and why he kept sending out a fighter who had barely won a round.....like many other folk who follow boxing i knew even before this fight that Blackwell had a reputation as a lad with no quit in him but was probably limited to domestic/european level......if we knew that then surely Lockett knew that and its his responsibility to protect his fighter from himself.......around the 6th/7th round i noticed a " confused pain " look on Blackwells face that ive seen before unfortunately.....his cockiness at taking punches had gone and he became uncharacteristically gunshy......if us sitting watching on tv picked up on that his trainer should of done as well......had it been a close fight you could of maybe made a case for letting it go but he was being well beaten......we had a tragedy with a local kid in the 90,s fighting for a British Title so its a subject close to my heart but that was a very close fight and sadly Brad died a few days later......this Eubank/Blackwell fight was close to being a mismatch and a mismatch at a high level of boxing like this is a dangerous thing its not like the sort of mismatches we see at the start of fighters careers they are nowhere near as dangerous simply because the " opponent " gets ironed out in a few rounds....they dont have the durability or level of fitness a fighter like Blackwell has,hence why when an extremely fit young man is consistently taking shots round after round his trainer needs to be so switched on......God willing he makes a full recovery and hopefully will get all the help he needs settling back into life without boxing.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 7

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Think it's a real shame that a thread that should have just been full of well wishes for an injured warrior has been taken over by the same pathetic Fury arguments

If bell ends carried world titles, without a shadow of doubt that big fool would be the undisputed champion.

The situation with the kid Blackwell is a terrible shame and i wish him all the strength in the world in making a complete recovery....but its one of those situations where you could point fingers of

It wasn't for the sake of Nick Blackwell Eubank snr was saying that to jnr if was simply beacuse the head shots where not hurting Nick he was basically saying attack the base to make the tree fall everyone making snr to be the saving grace when he wasn't

I totally agree.....its almost absurd to think it was anything other than tactical........personally i would find it very distasteful if Eubank tried to make out it was some kind of saintly act !

• Like 2

It wasn't for the sake of Nick Blackwell Eubank snr was saying that to jnr if was simply beacuse the head shots where not hurting Nick he was basically saying attack the base to make the tree fall everyone making snr to be the saving grace when he wasn't

I totally agree.....its almost absurd to think it was anything other than tactical........personally i would find it very distasteful if Eubank tried to make out it was some kind of saintly act !
problem is he is taking all the glory and people are giving it to him

The situation with the kid Blackwell is a terrible shame and i wish him all the strength in the world in making a complete recovery....but its one of those situations where you could point fingers of blame or just accept its a dangerous sport and these things happen from time to time.....personally i think Blackwells trainer needs to have a long hard look at himself and why he kept sending out a fighter who had barely won a round.....like many other folk who follow boxing i knew even before this fight that Blackwell had a reputation as a lad with no quit in him but was probably limited to domestic/european level......if we knew that then surely Lockett knew that and its his responsibility to protect his fighter from himself.......around the 6th/7th round i noticed a " confused pain " look on Blackwells face that ive seen before unfortunately.....his cockiness at taking punches had gone and he became uncharacteristically gunshy......if us sitting watching on tv picked up on that his trainer should of done as well......had it been a close fight you could of maybe made a case for letting it go but he was being well beaten......we had a tragedy with a local kid in the 90,s fighting for a British Title so its a subject close to my heart but that was a very close fight and sadly Brad died a few days later......this Eubank/Blackwell fight was close to being a mismatch and a mismatch at a high level of boxing like this is a dangerous thing its not like the sort of mismatches we see at the start of fighters careers they are nowhere near as dangerous simply because the " opponent " gets ironed out in a few rounds....they dont have the durability or level of fitness a fighter like Blackwell has,hence why when an extremely fit young man is consistently taking shots round after round his trainer needs to be so switched on......God willing he makes a full recovery and hopefully will get all the help he needs settling back into life without boxing.

Some good points Gnash, you've actually changed my mind on the situation. However i still maintain Eubank snr had genuine concern for Blackwell's wellbeing given the pounding he was taking to the head. He surely had Michael Watson in mind. Of course his main concern would be for his son but an examination of his words and his actions prove to me at any rate that he was worried about NB. Of course Eubank isno saint,everybody could see the hiding the lad was taking and was concerned.You'd have to be a robot not to be.

Some good points Gnash, you've actually changed my mind on the situation. However i still maintain Eubank snr had genuine concern for Blackwell's wellbeing given the pounding he was taking to the head. He surely had Michael Watson in mind. Of course his main concern would be for his son but an examination of his words and his actions prove to me at any rate that he was worried about NB. Of course Eubank isno saint,everybody could see the hiding the lad was taking and was concerned.You'd have to be a robot not to be.

What were his words again......." go to the body to make the head fall " = self explannatory really and pretty standard advice when you cant get a fighter out of there.

and something like " if the ref wont stop it the fight will go to the scorecards so you better get him out " =......well what exactly does that mean ?....and how was it said for Blackwells benefit ?

I dont like finger pointing or witch hunts and i have nothing against Eubank......but i do find it in very bad taste to try to score credit for yourself on the back of a young lads life threatening injuries........cold and calculated as it might sound boxing trainers dont give their fighters instructions to protect the opponent they give them instructions to beat the oppoenent........but then is Chris Eubank a boxing trainer,does he actually have a boxing trainer......who knows what go,s on in this strange little family.

Edited by gnasher16

The situation with the kid Blackwell is a terrible shame and i wish him all the strength in the world in making a complete recovery....but its one of those situations where you could point fingers of blame or just accept its a dangerous sport and these things happen from time to time.....personally i think Blackwells trainer needs to have a long hard look at himself and why he kept sending out a fighter who had barely won a round.....like many other folk who follow boxing i knew even before this fight that Blackwell had a reputation as a lad with no quit in him but was probably limited to domestic/european level......if we knew that then surely Lockett knew that and its his responsibility to protect his fighter from himself.......around the 6th/7th round i noticed a " confused pain " look on Blackwells face that ive seen before unfortunately.....his cockiness at taking punches had gone and he became uncharacteristically gunshy......if us sitting watching on tv picked up on that his trainer should of done as well......had it been a close fight you could of maybe made a case for letting it go but he was being well beaten......we had a tragedy with a local kid in the 90,s fighting for a British Title so its a subject close to my heart but that was a very close fight and sadly Brad died a few days later......this Eubank/Blackwell fight was close to being a mismatch and a mismatch at a high level of postng like this is a dangerous thing its not like the sort of mismatches we see at the start of fighters careers they are nowhere near as dangerous simply because the " opponent " gets ironed out in a few rounds....they dont have the durability or level of fitness a fighter like Blackwell has,hence why when an extremely fit young man is consistently taking shots round after round his trainer needs to be so switched on......God willing he makes a full recovery and hopefully will get all the help he needs settling back into life without boxing.

I totally agree with this post and the trainer deserves a serious demotion and huge black stain on his reputation. All he could have been hoping for was a lucky ko punch at the expense of a wholehearted game young man. Not good...

What he actually said was"if you keep beating him like this,one, he's going to get hurt,Two,if it's going to a decision,why hasn't he stopped the fight?............Now you've not got to take him out to the face,you've got to take him out to the body."

That to me shows he's worried about the lad.

• Like 3

"If he doesn't stop it and we keep beating him like this, one, he is getting hurt, and two, if it goes to a decision why didn't the referee stop the fight? I don't get why.

"So maybe you shouldn't leave it to the referee.

"You're not going to take him out to the face, you're going to take him out to the body"

Edited by JDHUNTING
  • Like 2

Tyson fury is just a good boxer in a like if Shute st the moment, stick him in the ring 25 years ago and he gets knocked out every time. He beat an old klitchko who's ready to retire really. Big deal! Lenox Lewis would of bashed fury all over the show. The bloke is a disrespectful idiot and so is all his family.

Easy to say when in a different era an old klitcksko who no one could beat

I'm not knocking klitchko, but how has he beat?? Everyone knows the heavyweight division has been pony for years. It's only now we're starting to see it get better. I think if Joshua gets through his next fight and with a couple more under his belt he'd knock fury out. Mind you I think haye would do fury.

What he actually said was"if you keep beating him like this,one, he's going to get hurt,Two,if it's going to a decision,why hasn't he stopped the fight?............Now you've not got to take him out to the face,you've got to take him out to the body."

That to me shows he's worried about the lad.

" if its going to a decision,why hasnt he stopped the fight ".......what exactly does that mean and how does it relate to protecting Blackwell ?.......im not saying im right and your wrong mate i just dont buy the whole thing,if Blackwell had not suffered the injuries he did we wouldnt even be talking about what Eubank snr said so like i say it just seems in bad taste to me.

Going into the tenth both boys were told pretty much the same thing " you have him where you want him now finish it "......to me that doesnt suggest protection on Eubanks part....and on Locketts part well......quite shocking really !

Edited by gnasher16

Tyson fury is just a good boxer in a like if Shute st the moment, stick him in the ring 25 years ago and he gets knocked out every time. He beat an old klitchko who's ready to retire really. Big deal! Lenox Lewis would of bashed fury all over the show. The bloke is a disrespectful idiot and so is all his family.

Easy to say when in a different era an old klitcksko who no one could beat

I'm not knocking klitchko, but how has he beat?? Everyone knows the heavyweight division has been pony for years. It's only now we're starting to see it get better. I think if Joshua gets through his next fight and with a couple more under his belt he'd knock fury out. Mind you I think haye would do fury.

:thumbs: