Any British Nesting Yet

I rung my chaffie chicks today (ok with the wrong rings and yes i need new specs :censored: ) but all is good with them and i'll try to get some pics up this weekend,also 2 redpolls chicks in one nest but lost the other nest in the week but feck all from anything else though....

• Like 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice one cantona and the best of luck mate,i was feeding my lot today and was just changing a few nest pans about and went to move one that has a rope lining in it but no nest and found 2 redpoll eggs

After an unsuccessful ringing nitemare ive managed to keep the rings on three bully chicks. There two weeks old today. Now waiting for the four full goldie eggs to hatch over the weekend. Fingers

Just some pva glue or a cable tie is easiest to use or sow them,silicon sealer or double sided tape all work as well .. My bullie cocks are singing away like nothing else and my redpolls are all fe

Maybe it's going to be just one of those years for some of us :hmm: and a few i know who have got going have had a iffy start to there seasons.Have to say if these chaffies make it and i get a few redpolls then that'll do me and a bully chick would be a nice cherry on top :D ,but i ain't holding my breath on that one :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...

My season so far has been bad to say the least. I have one chaffie and three siskins to the sticks at this point, I've had lots of clear eggs, hens jumping the nest because of thunderstorms at night (I assume) and nests being torn apart by cock birds in the same flight.

I've also lost three birds since May which does not help.

The clear eggs make me think I didn't get my birds into good breeding condition but I've done the same thing for years now with much better results.

The joys of keeping Natives I suppose!!

• Like 1

It isn't going great for me either mate,i lost all 3 chaffie chicks when they fledged and 2 were coloured,but she's down on 2 more eggs and i'll hand rear them this time.Got a bully hen down at last on 4 eggs and my redpolls have kicked in and have 2 to sticks and 3 nests with young un's in and another hen that has just laid again,it's the weather that has messed my lot up and it's still raining and cold one hour and sunny the next and the poor buggers just don't know what to make of it.Tell you what Meroman it is sure emotional keeping these native birds but when it comes off there's no feeling like it eh :victory: ..

• Like 1

Indeed Fireman ;) I agree it has to be the weather... Good luck with the bullies, anyone I've spoken to here that's breeding them are not having much joy with them with one exception, a mate of mine is putting native bullie eggs under Siberian hens and they are rearing them for him...

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well ive not had a bad season at all.

Ive got 8 native bullies and 3 native goldfinches all on the sticks as well as over 20 razas n irish canaries.

Well done and save us a hen bully mate :thumbs: ,I've had a bit of a shit one to tell the truth,lost 3 bully chicks first round after a week,she's sitting on 4 eggs now but has left it late,my chaffie chicks all faded after they fledged and all were colour mutations,she has another one fledged now but it sure ain't strong and to be honest i ain't holding my breath and this is also a odd coloured chick.Coloured redpolls i've bred a few cinny and isabels as well as a few normals and that is it from my lot,ok a few and enough to be gratefull for to be honest but there should have been more as i've a few pairs of things that have done jack all.But that's livestock keeping for you, :laugh::cray::censored::toast:;) ....

That's ok gooing Cantona and that's a bird i allways had bad luck with is siskins but a wonderfull bird who's song is so under rated imo and not seen a ringed necked one but the moult might change it yet mate :victory: ..