Any British Nesting Yet

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice one cantona and the best of luck mate,i was feeding my lot today and was just changing a few nest pans about and went to move one that has a rope lining in it but no nest and found 2 redpoll eggs

After an unsuccessful ringing nitemare ive managed to keep the rings on three bully chicks. There two weeks old today. Now waiting for the four full goldie eggs to hatch over the weekend. Fingers

Just some pva glue or a cable tie is easiest to use or sow them,silicon sealer or double sided tape all work as well .. My bullie cocks are singing away like nothing else and my redpolls are all fe

• 2 weeks later...

Got home from work this evening to my first proper egg of the year :D ,got a mule hen sat on 3 duffers but a isabel lesser redpoll hen who's chosen a cinny cock has got things started at last.I say chosen because this year i've a few different redpolls all in together and i know there's 3 cocks and 4 hens in there and i'm just letting them get to it as such and with the cinny colour being a part of the make up of the isabel colour i'll get all sorts of colours and different sexes of them,job should be a good un if it comes off :victory: ..

• Like 2

ive got a few young mosaics out and my bully hen laid her third egg today .so fingers crossed il have some youngsters .thanks to my good friend taz and all his help with kit. birds .and advice . last time i visited taz lol i walked from there loaded up and owing him a tenner .he said ffs everytime you call here i feel like father christmas has your leaving lol lol .hes a great lad and friend is taz

• Like 1

First chaffie egg today,the redpoll hen is now sitting hard but how many i ain;t shifting her off to see so will wait and see.He's a good un and one of the real deal's for sure Brookie is Taz :yes: and i wish the pair of you a good healthy bird season and will deffo be seeing you both for a run out with some dogs next winter :victory: ..

• Like 1

Goldie sat on egg yesterday only to be smashed later on, checked 6.30 this morning and sat on another, fed later and had another look , smashed again, checked Siskin and 4 eggs not 5 now, must be goldie cock I think , but don't want to take him out as he's always been in aviary not cage, put dummy eggs in goldie nest and she's sat on them, next 2 or so eggs I will take out and put dummy's in then put real ones back in hopefully he will have got bored of trying to smash dummy eggs? Any better ideas

You mention a siskin hen sitting as well. What size is the flight and how many birds are in it?

Cock goldies & siskins are well known for interfering with sitting hens usually to drive the hens back down in my opinion.

As fireman says... remove the cock until she has finished laying and is sitting tight.

First chaffie egg today,the redpoll hen is now sitting hard but how many i ain;t shifting her off to see so will wait and see.

I'm very late this year with my breeding season due to work so it hasn't really started in earnest yet. I have three flights 12ft x 5ft x 8ft in height two of which are sorted and have a pair of goldies, a pair of siskins and a pair of chaffies in each. The third flight has only a pair of chaffies in at the moment and I'm still sorting a few goldies and siskins that are in cages to fill the flight. The pair of chaffies that are alone are nine years old and due to be put in cages for the summer to free up the flight as they have not bred for the past two years due to age I reckon but last Thursday I found an egg on the floor of the flight, same Friday and same again today, the hen is laying off the perch no nest built :hmm: I'll put the chaffie eggs under a red canary tomorrow or the next day but am 99% sure the canary wont rear them if they are birded. I've tried it a few times without any success and dont know if a canary has ever reared chaffies. I am open to correction on that though.

Good luck with your chaffies Fireman...

I spoke to soon on my chaffie egg and found it broke on the floor today :cray: ,i have put a dummy in anyway to try to hold the hen laying in the same nest type thing and i'll check tomorrow morning if she's laid another and swap it out until she sits hard.It's one bird i haven't ever bred yet and it's killing me :laugh: but hey ho and keep trying as they say,but a canary can't really rear a chaffie chick as chaffie chicks need live food and canaries don't usualy take it so let the canary brood it and hatch it off but then your'll have to rear it or at least feed it yourself .I had some irish hens i muled with and they took live food by the bucket full and they'd have reared them i'm sure but the red factors i had as well wouldn't have,so try to get your canaries onto live food or pinkies and you might have a half chance with them mate,good luck and keep us informed on how you do :victory: ..

I have now seen with my own eyes it's the goldfinch cock smashing eggs, let dogs out of kennel about 6 hen sat tight so I thought I'd nip them in field before replacing for dummy egg, got back in 10 min later hen of nest cock on nest pecking new egg, gutted but I at least no now! What do I do now I've taken cock out but goldfinch has laid 3 already, how many more can she lay if any and if only 1 is it a good idea letting her rear it or not?good news is 1 siskin egg hatched out so far

First chaffie egg today,the redpoll hen is now sitting hard but how many i ain;t shifting her off to see so will wait and see.He's a good un and one of the real deal's for sure Brookie is Taz :yes: and i wish the pair of you a good healthy bird season and will deffo be seeing you both for a run out with some dogs next winter :victory: ..

thanks mate .i look forward to seeing you again

• Like 1

I have now seen with my own eyes it's the goldfinch cock smashing eggs, let dogs out of kennel about 6 hen sat tight so I thought I'd nip them in field before replacing for dummy egg, got back in 10 min later hen of nest cock on nest pecking new egg, gutted but I at least no now! What do I do now I've taken cock out but goldfinch has laid 3 already, how many more can she lay if any and if only 1 is it a good idea letting her rear it or not?good news is 1 siskin egg hatched out so far

If it's easy i'd catch him up and keep him away from her each day until she's laid and you've swopped it for a dummy one,then let him back in to her until the evening then catch him up again but if not then let him in for a day then away with him until she's hatched as a hen will sort of store sperm inside her and use a bit for each egg as such so he don't need to really tread her every day.She may lay up to 7 but 4 or 5 is usual for a goldie so you should get a couple more from her and i would still let her rear it as one chick is better than nothing and god forbid it might be your only chick of the year,if you decide to not let her rear it then let her sit a dummy for the full period as wrecking a nest early and making them start again upsets a birds natural nesting cycle and you will very well loose a round or worse still she won't nest again this year,but when left they just think a egg has failed and that is a more natural thing for them to handle..Hope that makes sence .. :thumbs:

If it's easy i'd catch him up and keep him away from her each day until she's laid and you've swopped it for a dummy one,then let him back in to her until the evening then catch him up again but if not then let him in for a day then away with him until she's hatched as a hen will sort of store sperm inside her and use a bit for each egg as such so he don't need to really tread her every day.She may lay up to 7 but 4 or 5 is usual for a goldie so you should get a couple more from her and i would still let her rear it as one chick is better than nothing and god forbid it might be your only chick of the year,if you decide to not let her rear it then let her sit a dummy for the full period as wrecking a nest early and making them start again upsets a birds natural nesting cycle and you will very well loose a round or worse still she won't nest again this year,but when left they just think a egg has failed and that is a more natural thing for them to handle..Hope that makes sence .. :thumbs: