What Do You Get Out Of Hunting / Shooting

It's because we love wildlife and nature that makes us take care in how we do the job of killing when we have to. With great respect and humanity for our prey. Even if they are only vermin. At least, that's my point of view. They have a right to live and thus I pitch my skills against their instincts. I have greater respect for the rabbits I shoot than some people I've encountered on my life's journey.

I have never in all my life, set out to wipe out every rabbit warren on my permissions nor will I shoot the Kittens unless the landowner insists on it and I absolutely have to. I go for the fully grown males and the sick and the Mixy rabbits first and foremost. Then I'll think about the youngsters. I want my rabbit sport to continue through the year and the next year; not end it all in a few nights out. I shoot enough to show the landowners I'm doing a good job by them and I keep my permissions going to make it worthwhile returning and keeping it active. :thumbs:

I just think, is not the countryside a better place for the wildlife in it? Including the rabbits and squirrels? Or why go out to shoot and hunt when there is absolutely nothing left to hunt? What then? Or am I missing something of a point here?

The problem you have is the Grey is non native and arguably so in the European rabbit. Both cause considerable damage to the countryside/crops and other wildlife.

The Government, FC and most farmers, landowners, stables, etc., wants rid of both of them.

Landowners are legally bound to remove/control rabbit numbers, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rabbits-how-to-control-numbers frankly, providing you or anyone else with some sport is not the objective!

That's the reality, dress it up however you like!

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As that greatest of all English naturalists "BB" Denys Watkins pitchford said, it is so much more enjoyable observing nature with a gun in one's hand, I like to think that although our practices are r

So sorry to hear of your loss Mitch. My condolences dear fellow.   For me it's not the kill that gets me out but the moments of solitude in beautiful country, fresh air and the things you see when

I wouldn't have written what I did if I didn't mean it abarrett. I can safely take it then for you, the countryside is really little other but a killing ground and you are only there to shoot everyth

Posted Images

I just love the peace and quiet.

Admiring creation.

I have returned to simpler methods.

If it can't be lamped I don't bother, if I can't get close enough, never mind and the more smoke involved the better :-)

U.

I love going out at night. If I'm on my own I enjoy the tranquility of it all. The silence. Every rustle in the bushes reminds you of how many other creatures share the night with you.

If I'm with my son it's quality father/son time. Even though at times he is a heavy footed noisy oaf. :laugh:

It's because we love wildlife and nature that makes us take care in how we do the job of killing when we have to. With great respect and humanity for our prey. Even if they are only vermin. At least, that's my point of view. They have a right to live and thus I pitch my skills against their instincts. I have greater respect for the rabbits I shoot than some people I've encountered on my life's journey.

I have never in all my life, set out to wipe out every rabbit warren on my permissions nor will I shoot the Kittens unless the landowner insists on it and I absolutely have to. I go for the fully grown males and the sick and the Mixy rabbits first and foremost. Then I'll think about the youngsters. I want my rabbit sport to continue through the year and the next year; not end it all in a few nights out. I shoot enough to show the landowners I'm doing a good job by them and I keep my permissions going to make it worthwhile returning and keeping it active. :thumbs:

I just think, is not the countryside a better place for the wildlife in it? Including the rabbits and squirrels? Or why go out to shoot and hunt when there is absolutely nothing left to hunt? What then? Or am I missing something of a point here?

The problem you have is the Grey is non native and arguably so in the European rabbit. Both cause considerable damage to the countryside/crops and other wildlife.

The Government, FC and most farmers, landowners, stables, etc., wants rid of both of them.

Landowners are legally bound to remove/control rabbit numbers, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/rabbits-how-to-control-numbers frankly, providing you or anyone else with some sport is not the objective!

That's the reality, dress it up however you like!

:thumbs:

I seem to shoot more rabbits with my air rifles than my landowner friends seem to manage with their shotguns and rimfires Deker. It's a sport to me. It's an unpaid, free pest control service for them. We are both happy with that arrangement.

Oddly enough, one of the paddocks is rented out to a townie for her horse and two ponies. There I shoot every rabbit, Bucks, Kitts, Does every one of them that pops out, without fear or favour.

Yet, nothing will convince her that shooting rabbits and clearing them from the warrens around her horses is saving her animals from possible injury should the ground give way beneath their hooves. She only sees fluffy cuddly creatures to be protected from the likes of us 'cruel and inhuman' shooters.

I once challenged her she would be the first to call her solicitors the instant anything happened as a result of rabbit tunnellings being a cause of injury to her animals. Despite trying to convince me (unconvincingly) she "wouldn't dream of suing the farmer"; my friend here, for her losses and compensation for vets etc., I'll carry on doing what must be done and shoot with discrimination and respect for both vermin and farmer.

The point I want to make is that I shoot a hell of a lot of rabbits here because, there are indeed a hell of a lot of rabbits here! I'm just not out to annhialate every one of them. to the point where there's hardly any of them left. That's my deal to me.

I like coming back to a healthy permission each season!

• Like 1

I do echo those sentiments.

Killed and sold so many of them I now have a form of respect for what many give little consideration I give great admiration.

Many miss a vital point to rabbits.

It shows for one the ground is good.

It keeps preditors happy and provides a good meal for any one. The rabbit :-)

U.

• Like 3