What Do You Get Out Of Hunting / Shooting

I'm having a bit think to myself as to what it is I get out of nights out shooting, hunting / vermin / rabbits, so I though I'd set this topic away on here to see what others get out of this hobby/ sport , the more I'm thinking about it, me personally I'm wondering about a change back to a hobby, that I used to do,

I used to get a real buzz when I went out shooting, always wanted to bag something, rabbits, pigeons, even whacking a few hares or pheasant, at the moment I'm wondering why ?

What am I getting out of it, up the eyes in mud, vehicle is always up the paps, cold wet, out late and knackered the next day, then it's a case of clean the gun and put it away till the next venture out, I'm not even bothered about taking rabbits home.

Fair enough sometimes you pull cracking shots, but what's it all about ? Why do we do it ?

I really can see a new motocross or enduro bike coming my way !

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As that greatest of all English naturalists "BB" Denys Watkins pitchford said, it is so much more enjoyable observing nature with a gun in one's hand, I like to think that although our practices are r

So sorry to hear of your loss Mitch. My condolences dear fellow.   For me it's not the kill that gets me out but the moments of solitude in beautiful country, fresh air and the things you see when

I wouldn't have written what I did if I didn't mean it abarrett. I can safely take it then for you, the countryside is really little other but a killing ground and you are only there to shoot everyth

Posted Images

I get a buzz when my son and I go lamping and we can put something in the bag it feels we are doing something right I feel we are bonding as the wife says all you two do is bicker and fight but I just like showing the youngster how to do it right , but the most important thing is if we fill the freezers i don't have to put my hand in my pocket to feed the dogs and ferrets over the Summer

• Like 1

A hobby. A passtime. A god damn journey. A job [Not in the literal sense]

Its a good question... basically, we go out to kill stuff as a hobby, while enjoying being out in the field.

• Like 1

Hunkered next to tree, taking in big whiffs of clean air that has a different scent depending on the time of year, being vigilent but still able to think uninterupted, looking at nature and my equipment and marvelling at the those that came before, to design and build, and thanking God that I have the chance to do it.. also appreciating this worldwide fraternity...

My 2 cents.

• Like 5

I was thinking of giving up to and selling all my gear and rifles

BUT

iv got one little thing that is stopping me and that is

LITTLE HUNTER

it will break his heart if he cant go shooting with his granddad

and it will be the same when i tell him his uncle Sean is giving up to

and you two were getting along just fine lately, laughing and carrying on lol

O and by the way if you do give up

can i have the 5000 acres lol

i mean some one has to look after it till you come back

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

"Freedom" and an " Utter release"

Back to sanity.

When it comes to hunting i just love the re- call of nature back to where all my instincts originated.

I love to be out, as one, with nature and above all else, "Alone with my soulmate, my dog".

" He`s taking me out today too" :yes:

atb

• Like 3

It depends why you do it, for most I suspect it is seldom for social reasons, I most commonly go out solo, sometimes needs must and 2, but that can be counter productive sometimes, and when its work that doesn't cut it.

I shoot as a business, I'm also Secretary of a Home Office Club at Bisley, a Shooting Instructor, RCO, etc., and I shoot socially.

Business wise I have asked myself the question more than once why am I doing this, even though I retain a lot of control of days/times/weather/etc I go out. The rifle club is a glorified Zeroing session for me these days for field work, and the social side is just that.

You makes your own choices, and this game isn't for everyone!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3

Not another one of your lot giving up

You don't need to go out all night long , couple of hours at a time during the week is good enough

To me .after a hard day or a stressful day at work ,nothing better than going out in the country side and just concentrating on shooting , takes your mind off problems you may have

Also with the s**t on TV you need to do something and remember warmer and lighter evenings are just round the corner !!

• Like 4

It depends why you do it, for most I suspect it is seldom for social reasons, I most commonly go out solo, sometimes needs must and 2, but that can be counter productive sometimes, and when its work that doesn't cut it.

I shoot as a business, I'm also Secretary of a Home Office Club at Bisley, a Shooting Instructor, RCO, etc., and I shoot socially.

Business wise I have asked myself the question more than once why am I doing this, even though I retain a lot of control of days/times/weather/etc I go out. The rifle club is a glorified Zeroing session for me these days for field work, and the social side is just that.

Your right on that

the ones that p*ss me off are the ones with all the gear and no i dear sitting with £2000 rifles and the best of scopes

and talk like they know every thing about hunting

but have never set foot on a farm let alone seen a rabbit lol

I love it when i start to trip them up with questions about hunting

and they start to stutter or change the subject lol

atvbmac

• Like 3

Your right on that

the ones that p*ss me off are the ones with all the gear and no i dear sitting with £2000 rifles and the best of scopes

and talk like they know every thing about hunting

but have never set foot on a farm let alone seen a rabbit lol

I love it when i start to trip them up with questions about hunting

and they start to stutter or change the subject lol

atvbmac

Fortunately we don't have any of those in my club, but we do have a team GB Shooter, this is one of his rifles, I'm not sure exactly but I believe you are looking at circa £5K.

post-10759-0-15998600-1458896831_thumb.jpg

But it will deliver everything to less than the size of a Roe deers head at 1000 Yards and is a joy to shoot!! :D:thumbs:

Just so long as the deer lets us have a couple of sighters and stays still. :laugh::laugh::thumbs:

Mmmm :hmm: a little bit more powerful than my .177 and .22 air rifles then :laugh: .

1,000 yards is great marksmanship, but is not exactly the "Field Craft" air gun hunters have to attain.

"What ever floats your boat" i suppose.

( figures,- it did say 1000 yards didn`t it ?)

atb

• Like 1

Mmmm :hmm: a little bit more powerful than my .177 and .22 air rifles then :laugh: .

1,000 yards is great marksmanship, but is not exactly the "Field Craft" air gun hunters have to attain.

"What ever floats your boat" i suppose.

( figures,- it did say 1000 yards didn`t it ?)

atb

Yep 1000, bit outside air rifles but it shows what can be done.

This is what it looks like...

post-10759-0-63377400-1458898532_thumb.jpg

Centre of picture enlarged to show targets, grainy sadly, but it is a long way!

post-10759-0-99154000-1458898541_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1