keeping dogs safe forest of dean

Guest chris_c

Guest chris_c

Hi

I am getting very frustrated. I live in the middle of the city with my two dogs. I like to go out to forest areas for a few days break, and live outdoors, so my dogs can have a bit of freedom.

I have a gsd and a collie x, and want to know what I need to do if wild boar interfer with my dogs. I cannot believe that I would have to watch my dogs get savaged, and not be able to defend them. I dont have a gun license, so what are the alternatives ...... a cross bow...... ?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi i live in the forest of dean and spend a lot of time in the woods and ive never seen a wild boar . dont get me wrong im not saying there not their but i think the chances of you coming across them and them attacking you or your dogs are pretty slim especially not enough to warrant carrying a crossbow im also not saying that they wont attack people . dont forget at some point these animals did come from farms or are decendents from animals that did so they must still be used to some human contact . anyway where abouts do you live and what parts of the forest of dean do you camp out in

Guest chris_c
hi i live in the forest of dean and spend a lot of time in the woods and ive never seen a wild boar . dont get me wrong im not saying there not their but i think the chances of you coming across them and them attacking you or your dogs are pretty slim especially not enough to warrant carrying a crossbow im also not saying that they wont attack people . dont forget at some point these animals did come from farms or are decendents from animals that did so they must still be used to some human contact . anyway where abouts do you live and what parts of the forest of dean do you camp out in

i've not done the forest of dean yet, so will just wonder around till somewhere takes my fancy, unless you can recommend somewhere!!!!

The thing is that my dogs do like hunting anything that moves, and i just read somewhere on the internet that a couple of dogs have no chance against a pack of wild boar, and my two dogs are guaranteed to get involved.

I used to do the New Forest, but have given up on that because there are just too many ponies, so i've decided to try the Forest of Dean.

Guest chris_c
:icon_eek: You having a laugh?!

Sorry. That's to Chris.

Having a laugh about what? That i'm concerned about my two dogs being savaged? its not like i have a pack of dogs, i'm talking about two dogs, one of whom is small. Bow .... whats funny about that?

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Chris; Don't take me - or my turn of phrase - wrong, mate. Let me expand a little on my initial, reflexive, response:

A Crossbow, in uk, is considered about as Offensive as a weapon gets. Ye'd likely meet the ARV before a boar.

It's also a tad Illegal to fire Any sort of Bow, be it cross, long, short, or pretty for ye bonny brown hair, at Any living thing.

Should ye then survive a hail of Police bullets long enough to actually find a pig? Chances of ye A/ Cocking the illegal weapon in time to manage more than scream. B/ Get off a meaningful shot with it. C/ Do any earthly good with that shot? Zero. Besides which, the sort of bolt even an expert would require to stop a boar is itself totally illegal in uk.

In short; Forget what's it Greene in " Robin Hood ". Ye can't go round england trying to take on pigs. Not with bows. Try and ye'll come unstuck. Period.

If you can truly switch between such locations as the New Forest and 'Dean? No problemmo. Much of england is completely void of pigs. Pick another place and go there.

Only those Dogs of yours, if they can't be trusted around ponies or pigs? Watch they don't come unstuck around sheep, deer, a 'Keeper or Farmer.

Mheanwhile, this forum's just bristling with idiots Gagging to slip their " BullX "'s on pigs. No one's managed to get a chance yet look. And they'll be looking. What do ye really think the chances are of your two just running smack into the lunatics grail? Just relax and get on with enjoying what ye do, mate ;)

The thing is that my dogs do like hunting anything that moves, and i just read somewhere on the internet that a couple of dogs have no chance against a pack of wild boar, and my two dogs are guaranteed to get involved.

I used to do the New Forest, but have given up on that because there are just too many ponies, so i've decided to try the Forest of Dean.

Is this a wind up? You say "my dogs like hunting anything that moves" then later on that you had to give up going to the New Forest as there are too many ponies!!! Does that mean they were hunting the ponies too??

How about TRAINING YOUR DOGS????? Or better still, keep them on a lead if they are that disobedient! If I have misinterpreted your words I apologise, but it's got me worried that you are out walking with 2 completely out of control dogs who are likely to kill or be killed either by a kick from a horse or an irate farmer.

Anyway: where do you live? you must drive a long way to one of the two as the New Forest and the Forest of Dean are not exactly next door to each other!

if your dogs hunt anything and you had to give up the new forest due to ponies what are you going to do about the freeroaming sheep,im in the woods alot still not come into any boar plenty of deer an squirrels,oh and you cant camp anywhere theres set sites but to be honest youd be better off finding somewhere else to f**k around,cus the last thing the forest needs is a tosser like you rampaging around. :boxing:

Guest little_lloyd
keep your townie muts on the lead is the answer, and as for you finding the pigs ill wager if you go there every weekend for the next 2 years you wont see one you may get to hear them but you wont see them!!

You tell em Rog :thumbs:

Guest chris_c
if your dogs hunt anything and you had to give up the new forest due to ponies what are you going to do about the freeroaming sheep,im in the woods alot still not come into any boar plenty of deer an squirrels,oh and you cant camp anywhere theres set sites but to be honest youd be better off finding somewhere else to f**k around,cus the last thing the forest needs is a tosser like you rampaging around. :boxing:

The forest is for everyone, not just you, tosser, so get used to it. My question was about wild boar and the safety of my dogs. Free roaming sheep are not a problem for us.