Which Cz Hmr?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and cartridge rifles with previous experience in sub 12 and FAC .25 cal air.

I am now going to buy a HMR that I have listed on my certificate. I've decided on a CZ 455 which will probably be in a synthetic stock.The rifle will be exclusively used for hunting. My question is do I get the Varmint or American or other version?

Could you explain to me the particular purposes, strengths and weaknesses of each?

Thanks in advance.

It's personal preference. The varmint barrel is thicker and and heavier and designed to be able to handle lots of shots without heating up too much. The american version is (IMO) more suited to field work as it's lighter.

If you plan to lug it around while you are out hunting then definitely the lighter the better. If you want to lay on a shooting mat all day in one position then perhaps the heavier barrel will suit. Believe me, by the time you add a moderator and scope and all the other bits & pieces that we like to attach to rifles I guarantee that the thing will weigh a bloody ton!

It's down to the individual, but this is my personal, professional and factual response.

455 Synthetic American.

You have no need to worry about HOT barrels on a HMR, its almost impossible, even on the range. Neither do you need it for accuracy, and neither do you need to lug around a heavy lump of metal for field work.

Synthetic rather that wood simply for weather versatility, it does help!

If you want to cart around a heavy Varmint, then fine, some like heavy guns (lord knows why for field work) but you will get no accuracy advantages from it and you may be too exhausted to take the shot anyway!

ATB!

As everyone else has stated go for the slimmer/lighter american variant in either 452 or 455. Preference wise, I'd go for the 16" Synthetic/Nickel/Style option also. Stick a trigger kit in it, and you will have a real tack driving work horse.

As everyone else has stated go for the slimmer/lighter american variant in either 452 or 455. Preference wise, I'd go for the 16" Synthetic/Nickel/Style option also. Stick a trigger kit in it, and you will have a real tack driving work horse.

Synthetic nickel is excellent and is a really accurate nice unit.

Go light weight if you ever add an NV add on you will regret buying a heavy one!

Synthetic nickel is excellent and is a really accurate nice unit.

Go light weight if you ever add an NV add on you will regret buying a heavy one!

My boy had the 452 Style (Nickel) and I have the 452 Silhouette (Blued).

There was no difference in performance, they are both accurate.

As I look after mine there is no difference in maintenance either, although some would suggest the nickel may have the edge in harsh conditions. NOT shooting, cleaning! A trade off is a silver barrel.

It's up to you, I'd put the difference as personal preference, simple as!

:thumbs:

Thanks for the replies. American it is then but what barrel length 16 or 22?

Bullberry Barrel Length vs. Velocity DATA

22 inch = 2517 fps, 103 fps spread

21 inch = 2523 fps, 66 fps spread

20 inch = 2515 fps, 86 fps spread

19 inch = 2538 fps, 83 fps spread

18 inch = 2522 fps, 41 fps spread

17 inch = 2505 fps, 43 fps spread

16 inch = 2492 fps, 53 fps spread

15 inch = 2477 fps, 27 fps spread

14 inch = 2432 fps, 70 fps spread

13 inch = 2419 fps, 32 fps spread

12 inch = 2387 fps, 57 fps spread

11 inch = 2338 fps, 45 fps spread

10 inch = 2276 fps, 45 fps spread

Extracted from here. http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

In the great scheme of things this is a thoroughly unscientific test and any results can at best be viewed as a guide.

Just the same you will note there is very little difference between 16-22" barrels, frankly the difference will be of no interest to the vast majority of HMR shooters.

Interestingly it seems their data gives it to 19".

The FPS spread is of concern to me throughout the chart. I can't see scientifically why barrel length will give such a variation of FPS spread, so that comes down to the ammo in my book, which in turn will have an effect on the overall FPS.

Unscientific, but a rough guide perhaps!

:thumbs: