Hi guys, I was at a customers house today, he was telling me how he was selling most things up as he has been diagnosed terminally ill, amongst other things he mentioned taxidermy, I said I liked a few things so he showed me his collection, feck me, over 700 pieces, I noticed a few I liked and he is open to offers, but I don't have a scooby what they are worth.

post-85496-0-57225300-1458680528_thumb.jpeg

post-85496-0-34962200-1458680571_thumb.jpeg

post-85496-0-52135200-1458680717_thumb.jpeg

post-85496-0-39956400-1458680761_thumb.jpeg

post-85496-0-49878200-1458680876_thumb.jpeg

As you can imagine, this is a tiny selection of the collection, just wanted an idea on what to offer, last I heard taxidermy wasn't worth a fortune, but I don't know.

• Like 1

Not 100% sure mate but be careful with that otter .May be old and not covered but rules are very strict about otter mounts now .There are worth whatever hes willing to accept as they hold no sentimental value to you .

• Like 2

Taxidermy prices can be funny. I seen an otter in a case similar to that one fetch £130 about 20 years ago. The same auction a superb mink in a good case fetched £15.

Trophy's can be valuable to the hunter or those connected to the hunt that killed it and worthless to those who have nothing to do with the trophy.

Rare animals (is that a purple heron ?) might make more but to be honest IMO most of what you've shown are not good specimens.

Sometimes a new pub opening or someone putting a trophy room, a bar or a games room into their house might snap trophies or mounts.

Value IMO is like beauty in that it's in the eye of the beholder.

For example, I've a full Hare mount in my sitting room that my lurcher took on her 3rd attempt.

I'd be lucky to get £30 for it but wouldn't take £500 for it.

• Like 2

ebay is a good spot to check prices out, i sold a brilliant goat skull with 3ft horns privately for 80euro and had a queue of fellas wanting to take it off my hands, was easily worth 150 but it cost me nothing to acquire it down the forestry so would rather sell to someone i knew

fyi if he has a crocodile head i am looking for one and will give him market value + shipping

• Like 1

Thanks, he has a lot of distinctly 'average' ones, and a lot I think are crap, but he has one or two that i really like and look well done.

I agree with the posts, and I also don't think they are worth much to me.

Thanks for the opinions guys.

Edited by Rabid