Books That Inspired You As A Kid

Fox hunting on the Lakeland fells by Clapham. Tales of a rat hunting man, Plummer.

I had the chance to buy a first edition of Claphams book for £50. The photos were individually glued to each page. I didn't buy it.

I bought a reprint a few years later for £30. Sorry to this day I never bought the first edition.

Another good book about the lakes IMO is Gamecock and Countrymen. A classic.

• Like 3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Danny the Champion of the World. A Poachers Tale. Lurchers and Longdogs. All "BB"'s books.   That photo of the saluki with his gazelle in Walsh's L&L's was a really big influence for me....

Ah back in the day when they had proper rugs on them.Like 4 pouches of old Holborn spread out lol.

There you go PeskyWabbits!         The Open Air Boy by G.M.A. Hewett, al about fishing, catapult, bird-catching etc Great book

Posted Images

Think it was Plummer ever birthday and xmas my Present from my parents was the latest offering

anybody on here ever meet him.??

I met him when he did a favour for the royal albert ratting club. He seemed a pleasant enough bloke and came and sat and had a chat with a few of the local lads. Not saying every word in his books was true but they were a good read.

Danny champion of the world .... Always been a big reader last year it's been anything by Wilbur smith amazing author in my eyes started my fascination about South Africa Rhodesia and Cecil Rhodes and the boer wars haven't found another author yet to capture my imagination as he does on the subjects

Phil Drabble .of pedigree unknown Nathan Brian Plummer ...I had loads of nature books ....I read a book when I was about 10 it was a children s book about a mink ive tried to google it but cant find it I would read it again

Think it was Plummer ever birthday and xmas my Present from my parents was the latest offering

I met him when he did a favour for the royal albert ratting club. He seemed a pleasant enough bloke and came and sat and had a chat with a few of the local lads. Not saying every word in his books was true but they were a good read.

Met him at Lowther, about 81/2? He was doing a book signing, when I told him I'd already got the book I expected a pat on the back, he just said good and was back to the lads who hadn't bought it it :D

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

Met him at Lowther, about 81/2? He was doing a book signing, when I told him I'd already got the book I expected a pat on the back, he just said good and was back to the lads who hadn't bought it it :D

Cheers, D.

Had a brief chat to him in hancocks yard 80s he had a small track greyhound bitch called little bess which hancock put chuckles over and i had a pup from the litter.

1982 Pennine poacher by richard fawcett still got the book 30 odd years on rabbiting tales in the dales back in the day a short book but well worth a read. Just googled the author he died 5th march 2016 age 94.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1

A Pair Of Jesus Boots - Sylvia Sherry

The Gamekeeper - Barry Hines

Lurchers & Longdogs - Ted Walsh

Rogues & Running Dogs - Brian Plummer

The Moon's A Baloon - David Niven

The Happy Hooker - Xavier Hollander

I had a great childhood ;)

A Pair Of Jesus Boots - Sylvia Sherry

The Gamekeeper - Barry Hines

Lurchers & Longdogs - Ted Walsh

Rogues & Running Dogs - Brian Plummer

The Moon's A Baloon - David Niven

The Happy Hooker - Xavier Hollander

I had a great childhood ;)

Ive still got the books a pair of jesus boots and the gamekeeper.

• Like 1