No, no, haven't seen any yet. Someone on the angling forum says there's Mackerel caught already, which got me thinking about another sign of Summer.

Normally around here I see my first Swallow on the 11th of April but because it's been so mild (and them beauties are already on their way) I will predict I'll see one on the 9th.

What's your prediction folk ?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Theyre here..    

today    

I spotted a Hoopoe yesterday while out mole trapping. That is really early for round here. They are such a funny bird to watch and not one you would think could migrate such long distances. We had a p

Posted Images

The cuckoos are stirring now too. A couple of weeks ago some moved up to West Africa in preparation for their migration.........

http://www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking

Last summer I went fishing for a few days to a place in France that resembles the Lincs / Norfolk fens and there were dozens of male cuckoos migrating south following the river. I haven't seen so many since we used to go to Cyprus in spring when some days you could see half a dozen side by side sitting on the phone lines.

From early May until the end of June or thereabouts we can hear cuckoos all day, every day. Same with nightingales; no matter where you are there is always a nightingale singing throughout late spring and early summer. And the golden oriole's song is so common that it has been mimicked by some resident starlings. You hear their version of the oriole during the winter months.

Totally different from Sth. York's where I used to live.

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1

Can't remember last time I heard a cuckoo,privileged enough to hear a corncrake one year in dorset though.

Love cuckoos, one of my favourite birds to photograph, lucky to get them here where i live

The cuckoos are stirring now too. A couple of weeks ago some moved up to West Africa in preparation for their migration.........

Last summer I went fishing for a few days to a place in France that resembles the Lincs / Norfolk fens and there were dozens of male cuckoos migrating south following the river. I haven't seen so many since we used to go to Cyprus in spring when some days you could see half a dozen side by side sitting on the phone lines.

Any hares on the french fens squire ?

Any hares on the french fens squire ?

I haven't seen any. But then again, I'm either travelling through or fishing, so not really out and about at the right time to see them.

Thousands of these though..............

ragondin-5.jpg

Edited by Nicepix
  • Like 1

I think the most Cuckoos I heard in a whole Summer was two. We just don't get many in Ireland.

I remember years ago, back in the 80's and 90's, they were everywhere in the spring/summer months. They seem scarce now over here, for some reason. ?