Tracking Collars

They'll all break the bank!

The cheapest ones £200-250 use telemetry like falconry which means you've got to carry one of those large TV aerial things with you.

Various Garmin's are the favourite by far, they use gps to find their location then send the info back to your handheld device using a radio signal.

You'll spend anywhere between £300-£400 for the handheld and one collar. Add about 150-250 for every extra collar you want.

Price depends on the age of the model your choosing. Older collars like the dc40 or dc50 are cheaperbut are getting harder to find in good nick. The new T series of collars have better range, accuracy and battery life but don't work with the older handhelds.

The biggest issue is finding a garmin handheld and collar that that have been unlocked for use in the UK. (Garmins working frequency was banned in the UK)

Think the best place at the moment is gps4us. Contact them and they'll send collars and handheld that work in the UK.

All the best with the search

• Like 3

Sportdog stelth collars and box cheap as chips will point you in right direction only $20 per collar and $50per finder can track 9 collars no where as good as garmin but most dogs when lost when on chase will be within 550metres may even surprise you how close they are will do job until you can afford. Garmin try eBay got 3collars and finder for$50 good luck

• 1 month later...

What's the craic with these eBay ones that work with apps on your phone?? Here's just one but there's quite a few variants, some charge 9p a text and other are £5 quid a month etc...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152005015446

I had planned on coupling one with the canicom800 after they got out of range the other day and never returned home for hours! At least I'll have an idea of what direction to search

• 4 weeks later...

So my new kit has arrived and I've discovered that the collar won't sync with the handset... The screen reads "radio frequency is not authorised in your area" so with the wee village being a bit of a dead zone for mobiles etc I moved to another town and the handset reads the same! I've read the instructions back to back and the Garmin site just seems to have FAQ section that doesn't solve my problem. Is it faulty or what's going on?

The cheapest ones £200-250 use telemetry like falconry which means you've got to carry one of those large TV aerial things with you.

Various Garmin's are the favourite by far, they use gps to find their location then send the info back to your handheld device using a radio signal.

You'll spend anywhere between £300-£400 for the handheld and one collar. Add about 150-250 for every extra collar you want.

Price depends on the age of the model your choosing. Older collars like the dc40 or dc50 are cheaperbut are getting harder to find in good nick. The new T series of collars have better range, accuracy and battery life but don't work with the older handhelds.

The biggest issue is finding a garmin handheld and collar that that have been unlocked for use in the UK. (Garmins working frequency was banned in the UK)

Think the best place at the moment is gps4us. Contact them and they'll send collars and handheld that work in the UK.

Damn it..... There's my answer!!! So now what do I do with the collar I have considering it was bought from America with "as new" on the description on ebay and returns not accepted... Am I f****d??

Damn it..... There's my answer!!! So now what do I do with the collar I have considering it was bought from America with "as new" on the description on ebay and returns not accepted... Am I f****d??

No, you're not f****d :laugh:

You need to get in touch with that GPS4US place, they can "unlock" or modify the software to work in UK.

Bullmastiff was super helpful when I was asking about them :thumbs:

As I discovered you'll also need a computer running Windows to do anything with them yourself ... OSX (Apple) isn't compatible.

• Like 3

My advice: if you get a collar working do not download or update anything...let sleep dog (collars) lie.....

Good advice. Rumour is if you update the software versions the collars get locked out. Im not sure if it is true or not i'm to scared to find out with mine. They work fine as they are anyway.

No, you're not f****d :laugh:

You need to get in touch with that GPS4US place, they can "unlock" or modify the software to work in UK.

Bullmastiff was super helpful when I was asking about them :thumbs:

As I discovered you'll also need a computer running Windows to do anything with them yourself ... OSX (Apple) isn't compatible.

The reply I finally got after a week and a half from gps4us was basically "unfortunately the collar can not be unlocked, sorry for the inconvenience".... Another reply said to go to my local garmin dealer which apparently is tesco, I'll go but I'm sure they won't have a clue

• Like 1